Movies you've been watching...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
As a person? I don't know, I think he's kind of old fashioned and probably out of touch. It seems he's kind of an asshole sometimes, but I don't know him so :shrug: . I'm not aware about much else. Oh, he likes feet! And I heard something about the use of the N word in his movies, but Samuel L. Jackson says it's OK, so it probably is.

I like most of his movies, he's and extraordinary director.
If the feet thing is in his films due to a fetish, it seems within reason that he has some weird reason for having racial slurs (not just the N word) written into several of his films. I attempted to watch The Hateful Eight (I think) and after the 9th time of Kurt Russell calling Samuel the N word in 5 minutes in between slapping a women, I had to turn it off. I also do not care for the 3 other films of his that I've watched.

I'd rather watch a Robert Rodriguez film, like From Dusk Til Dawn, which Quentin also had to write his foot fetish thing into, as well as calling someone the S word.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The premise of Tenet was past and future light cones being traversable. Basically a mixing of forward and backward directions of time. The bullets weren't actually reversed, from the backward moving time perspective they had already been fired so they were moving in that time's forward direction. IIRC they even set the context in regard to determinism being a compelling aspect of the plot. I thought it was a pretty good movie, but also agree the hype sold it as a somewhat different movie.

I felt like it was a good idea... for a Twilight Zone episode. Not for a full-ass super confusing movie. I don't remember anymore but I don't think I could follow Inception's plot either, but at least the dream scenes were memorable. This movie was more like "Oh, so some soldiers are running, and the other soldiers are running backwards. Cool, I wonder how did they do that."

"Remember to say the word Tenet and form this sign with your hands"... and then nobody says the word Tenet or form the sign. If you're reversed fire will freeze you. OK, then reversed bullets should... heal people? You can't breathe the backwards air, I wonder how many people died until they noticed.

Also: Nolan thinks putting a woman and a child in the movie = feelings. Whatever. I hated the movie, I just wanted everyone to die :lol:

At least the movie has some good acting in it. Anyways, I wouldn't care about any of this (even understanding the movie) if it entertained me, but it didn't so I spent the whole movie finding perceived flaws and things I didn't like.
Maybe if the movie had hard-coded subtitles it would make the plot easier to follow. Every fucking character mumbles quietly and then when they have masks on its nigh impossible to understand wtf anyone says.

Edit: Awesome that I posted this before getting to the next page where subs vs dubs came up. :lol:
I want subs always, even when it's filmed in English and all characters are speaking in English. I wanna know what people say. Like half of Gandalf's lines in Fellowship of the Ring are incomprehensible without subtitles.

Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Somehow have been on a mostly Korean Horror/thriller kick for no reason. What a trip. Dark, demony, nihilist for the most part. The bad thing seems to have a fairly common "origin" thread/location which I wasn't expecting. Did I mention nihilistic? They really pile on the downside.
Exhuma, not Korean but The Sadness, one where there's a demon ghost entity that lives in the mountains and is terrorizing a rural Korean town (forgot the name). Need to complete The Sixth Finger. Another where a former detective is tracking down a serial killer of prostitutes. Yes I'm reading a lot of sub titles but I'm finding it interesting none the less.

Unrelated- Today started watching "Body Melt" and I do not know what it is yet but it appears to be set in the late 80s Australia and maybe its going for the B-movie edit thing. Still working through it.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I watched the "Unbreakable Trilogy". I wasn't expecting much, and it delivered...

Unbreakable: 90% of the movie is some guy asking a barely alive Bruce Willis if he's been sick or injured sometime in his life. It turns out he hasn't. Also he can lift, his worst enemy is a bucket of water, and then he punches and kills some dude. Plot twist at the end, because this is a M. Night Shyamalan movie after all and that's what he does.

Then I saw Split, which was more entertaining. It was fun to see the protagonist pretending to be a monster, it reminded me of a toddler. But it was a grown-up pretending to be a monster, and also pretending to be a bunch of people. It seems M. Night Shyamalan is not the most tactful person regarding themes as mental illness or sexual abuse. But still, this is a movie, so whatever. That's what movies do. I guess the moral of the story is that the final girl should be happy she was raped when she was a kid. No plot twist at the end IIRC. This one was the best movie of the three, I liked it.

Finally: Glass. Probably the stupidest thing I saw in recent years, and I remember seeing Jay and Silent Bob Reboot not too long ago. I must admit I don't like superheroes and don't particularly care about M. Night Shyamalan's movies but this was beyond stupid. He should've let the smart guy on the wheelchair to write the plot. Plot twist at the end comes back. Not bigger plot twist than having so many good actors and still make such a terrible movie, though.

There's one thing I liked about the movies though, and it's this more naturalistic idea about "superheroes" being just more evolved people, people that reached their full potential. And that they have always existed and they've been documented (and suppressed) through history. It's the way all these ideas have been implemented that I don't like. I think something better could've been done with this concept.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Glass is hands down one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, and the one time I saw it was made even funnier because it was a family movie night pick; I couldn't even contain my hatred after, and normally I can find SOMETHING in a film to give credit to, but EVERY part of Glass was so dumb I had to come out and be like, "that movie was straight up garbage, here's why..."

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Then I saw Split, which was more entertaining. It was fun to see the protagonist pretending to be a monster, it reminded me of a toddler. But it was a grown-up pretending to be a monster, and also pretending to be a bunch of people. It seems M. Night Shyamalan is not the most tactful person regarding themes as mental illness or sexual abuse. But still, this is a movie, so whatever. That's what movies do. I guess the moral of the story is that the final girl should be happy she was raped when she was a kid. No plot twist at the end IIRC. This one was the best movie of the three, I liked it.
I think the plot twist in Split was "oh shit, dude actually is the beast"

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I think the plot twist in Split was "oh shit, dude actually is the beast"

tenor.gif

Maybe the fact that I already knew that this movie was related to the other movies and that super humans existed in this universe spoiled that plot twist.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Was gonna post that trailer myself
Genuinely looks brilliant. The original Murnau 1922 film is one of my favourite horror movies and arguably one of the best horror films ever made, so I'm total Stoke(r)ed for this (arf! arf!)
Also worth bringing up the brilliant Shadow of the Vampire too with William Dafoe and John Malkovich. Fantastic film