Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Also, pretty sure he owns rights to the shape or something similar. That’s why it’s always the same brand to brand, the only thing that really changes is the headstock. There are small stylistic changes between the models obviously, but no matter where he goes, it’ll be a sharp KV/VII/VMNT.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also, pretty sure he owns rights to the shape or something similar. That’s why it’s always the same brand to brand, the only thing that really changes is the headstock. There are small stylistic changes between the models obviously, but no matter where he goes, it’ll be a sharp KV/VII/VMNT.

I don't think he owns the shape. When he left ESP, the DV8 became the V-II without any changes or tweaks.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Yea that’s why I mentioned “something similar”. I recall there being something involved with his ability to move the same shape around to all these companies without an issue. I don’t know for sure, I just remember a comment long ago that was probably wrong

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I thought the DV8/V-II was a different shape than the King V, and the VMNT was closer? Like bigger and wider, feel like I definitely remember Mustaine saying they were different shapes somewhere, but can't find any comparisons and can't be bother find a protractor.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I thought his Jackson sig was between a KV and a double rhoads. I’m wrong, just carry on guys.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I thought the DV8/V-II was a different shape than the King V, and the VMNT was closer? Like bigger and wider, feel like I definitely remember Mustaine saying they were different shapes somewhere, but can't find any comparisons and can't be bother find a protractor.

The DV8/VII is a Double Rhoads with some tweaks.

VMNT

Reaction score
I thought his Jackson sig was between a KV and a double rhoads. I’m wrong, just carry on guys.

KV1 is a KV. DV8 is a double RR. VMNT is between the two but a tiny bit closer to a KV.

VMNT

Reaction score
The shape that mustaine took from Jackson was the y2kv

That's right although I'm not sure it is as simple as he puts it. Years and years ago he was talking about re-releasing the Y2KV with Dean but it has never materialized.

Also, there is a very recent video of him playing something that looks like a Dean version of the Axxion so we might be seeing that abomination again!

Last edited:

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
That's right although I'm not sure it is as simple as he puts it. Years and years ago he was talking about re-releasing the Y2KV with Dean but it has never materialized.

Also, there is a very recent video of him playing something that looks like a Dean remake of the Axxion so we might be seeing that abomination again!

Any link to the vid. I'd be interested in lurking at it.

davemeistro

Reaction score
Honest question, why does everyone like to doodoo on the Axxion? Is it a looks or build thing?

If it's just an aesthetic thing with the shape, I guess I don't really get the hate for it considering how many people seem to love the look of Strandbergs these days. I personally think the Axxion looks cooler than a Boden, but I also think Warriors and Warlocks are cool, so maybe I don't deserve an opinion :lol:

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Honest question, why does everyone like to doodoo on the Axxion? Is it a looks or build thing?

If it's just an aesthetic thing with the shape, I guess I don't really get the hate for it considering how many people seem to love the look of Strandbergs these days. I personally think the Axxion looks cooler than a Boden, but I also think Warriors and Warlocks are cool, so maybe I don't deserve an opinion :lol:

Without the shitty X inlays the Axxion is cool as hell. Wish it had a floyd but ya know TOM is legit too.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I have no real issue with the Axxion, it just happens to be the least cool of all the Mustaine guitars.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Yeah minus the xx inlays I love the thing. Looks like a hybrid of a bc rich an iceman :)

Zhysick

Reaction score
I love the Axxion and I like it so much that I would have one even with the XX inlays... but with the Dean dot+sharfin inlays... nope.

I wish I had the chance to buy one of the LTD Axxions while they were available but I didn't have the money back then... shit.

VMNT

Reaction score

Nah, nothing wrong with the Axxion, if you like the looks ;) Personally I don't but I owned the LTD version which sounded great to be honest. I never got used to the upper horn rubbing against my ribs though.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score

I think with some small tweaks it could have been a killer guitar. At the moment it looks like a rough mockup with the lower horn and it's ass way out of proportion. The headstock and the inlays also need to go.

The general vibe of it is totally cool with me, just needs refinement.