NBA Thread

• Thread starter rummy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
You're in a better place than my Bulls. :scratch:

Dude, with D-Wade in and Butler becoming the man; also D-Rose and Noah both gone, I thought your Bulls would be playing much better than barely hanging onto the #8 spot. At this rate, either the Heat (who could have thought in Dec) or the Bucks could take your #8 spot away... the final few weeks will be very interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Dude, with D-Wade in and Butler becoming the man; also D-Rose and Noah both gone, I thought your Bulls would be playing much better than barely hanging onto the #8 spot. At this rate, either the Heat (who could have thought in Dec) or the Bucks could take your #8 spot away... the final few weeks will be very interesting.

I'd say they will be more painful. They haven't had a consistent plan all year. First they wanted to ride the vets.... once they realized the chemistry was bad and hopefully by now that Hoiberg can't coach they moved to the younger guys. Now you never know what's going to happen any given night. They play great against good teams and play down to bad teams. If I were a betting man, given their remaining schedule, I would think they don't make the playoffs.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Interesting development last night... first of all, the Spurs were down by 25pts or more vs the Kings at home in the first half, but they came all the way back as of the start of the 4th qtr... and they were without Kwahi and LA (rest), no less! Very impressive come back win!

On the other hand, with the Bulls continue their free falling of late; combining with both the Heat and Bucks' victories, those 3 teams are only separated by half a game for the #8 spot...

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Interesting development last night... first of all, the Spurs were down by 25pts or more vs the Kings at home in the first half, but they came all the way back as of the start of the 4th qtr... and they were without Kwahi and LA (rest), no less! Very impressive come back win!

On the other hand, with the Bulls continue their free falling of late; combining with both the Heat and Bucks' victories, those 3 teams are only separated by half a game for the #8 spot...

They have the easiest schedule of any team by far in April but knowing the Bulls they will find a way to screw that up and somehow miss the playoffs. Not that it really matters to me that they make it. Not really all that interested in watching Cleveland or Boston sweep us.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Speaking of Boston, I don't care if they are young or new to the Playoffs but I like their chances to advance! If, a big if, they make it to face the Cavs, I truly think they have a good shot at upsetting them.

As for the Cavs, they really miss K-Love and their middle is relatively weak compared to several other eastern playoffs bound teams. Teams like the Celtics, Wiz and even the Raptors are piling up bigs to challenge the Cavs'. This year's eastern playoffs should be quite interesting to watch.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I really hope the Celtics get to the Finals, because I will be in Boston in early June.

Sorry to break it to you, the Cs' road to even the ECF won't be easy, let alone making the Finals. As it stands right now, y'all have to fight off either the Bucks or the Heat in the first round. And then likely the Wiz in the second round. While I think the Cs should be able to make it pass the first round, the second round is a toss up, man. And finally you have the Cavs in the ECF, if you make it there. I dare to say this could be LBJ's final real shot at a title this season, so I bet he is going to give everything he has in the playoffs. Good luck though... I won't be cheering for y'all, I am a Lakers fan. Lol! :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I'm not a Celtics fan, but I'm not going to be near Cleveland, San Antonio or San Francisco. I'd much rather see the Wizards do well than Boston, though, because I really like John Wall.

I think Lebron's got a few years left for titles.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
LeBron might still be a top tier player or near the top for the next 2-3 years, but the Cavs are seriously over the cap until the summer of 2019! Worst yet, guys like Tristan Thompson, Shumpert and JR Smith are both under contract until 2020. Their only real trade chip is still and will always be Kevin Love (under contract through 2019 with a player option for 2019-2020, the same goes for Irving). What I am trying to say is, LeBron's body might still be able but the Cavs' cap situation is making it very hard for them to get new, good supporting players. Unless they sign a bunch of vets who are chasing a ring for cheap...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Unless they sign a bunch of vets who are chasing a ring for cheap like they've been doing the past few weeks.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
LeBron might still be a top tier player or near the top for the next 2-3 years, but the Cavs are seriously over the cap until the summer of 2019! Worst yet, guys like Tristan Thompson, Shumpert and JR Smith are both under contract until 2020. Their only real trade chip is still and will always be Kevin Love (under contract through 2019 with a player option for 2019-2020, the same goes for Irving). What I am trying to say is, LeBron's body might still be able but the Cavs' cap situation is making it very hard for them to get new, good supporting players. Unless they sign a bunch of vets who are chasing a ring for cheap...

Why do they need new supporting players? Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving are all stars... They have a good supporting case in Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye and they have some seasoned Vets like Williams and Jefferson still contributing. Yeah they aren't developing rookies but they're competing for a 3rd straight finals appearance.. Lebron has never been seriously injured either. I think this team competes for a few years still. Also, I'm not a Cavs fan. Just a die hard Bulls fan who watches the Cavs dismantle my team 4 times a year.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Why do they need new supporting players? Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving are all stars... They have a good supporting case in Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye and they have some seasoned Vets like Williams and Jefferson still contributing. Yeah they aren't developing rookies but they're competing for a 3rd straight finals appearance.. Lebron has never been seriously injured either. I think this team competes for a few years still. Also, I'm not a Cavs fan. Just a die hard Bulls fan who watches the Cavs dismantle my team 4 times a year.

Smith maybe LBJ's buddy and all, but I only see Thompson and Frye (but is getting old) as keepers among the guys you mentioned. Also, sure, the Cavs could hold onto Irving, Love and LBJ until their contracts are up, but by then except for Irving their core group would become so old like the Celtics in the early 90's. I really think the Cavs' management won't just sit around and let their players getting old without doing anything. So I am sure a year from now or sooner, Love would be gone for a couple younger players, or draft pick(s).

Either that, or I can also see them doing what the Bulls did in the final MJ years. Stockpiling vets and go for rings, and blow up the whole team to start fresh again.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Smith maybe LBJ's buddy and all, but I only see Thompson and Frye (but is getting old) as keepers among the guys you mentioned. Also, sure, the Cavs could hold onto Irving, Love and LBJ until their contracts are up, but by then except for Irving their core group would become so old like the Celtics in the early 90's. I really think the Cavs' management won't just sit around and let their players getting old without doing anything. So I am sure a year from now or sooner, Love would be gone for a couple younger players, or draft pick(s).

Either that, or I can also see them doing what the Bulls did in the final MJ years. Stockpiling vets and go for rings, and blow up the whole team to start fresh again.

Irving is just 24, Love 28. They're going to be productive, all-star caliber players for many years to come. Yeah some of the role players are up their in age but they can easily be replaced at a bargain. Lebron is 32 but given his talent level I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. You aren't going to trade Love or Irving for players that help you win now and if you do all you're going to be looking for is another Love or Irving.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Irving is just 24, Love 28. They're going to be productive, all-star caliber players for many years to come. Yeah some of the role players are up their in age but they can easily be replaced at a bargain. Lebron is 32 but given his talent level I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. You aren't going to trade Love or Irving for players that help you win now and if you do all you're going to be looking for is another Love or Irving.

No, I do not mean trading Love now or soon to get better, but like you have mentioned, he is 28 now. His trade value is only going to be so good in the next couple years. Once he hits 30 his value is not going to go up.

What I am trying to say is, if the Cavs aim for long term flexibility they should consider trading Love when he is still worth something back; especially IF they do not win a title this or next year. If you hold on to your big guns for too long, you are only going to stay competitive for so long.

Off topic, Jerry Krause passed away... RIP.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
No, I do not mean trading Love now or soon to get better, but like you have mentioned, he is 28 now. His trade value is only going to be so good in the next couple years. Once he hits 30 his value is not going to go up.

What I am trying to say is, if the Cavs aim for long term flexibility they should consider trading Love when he is still worth something back; especially IF they do not win a title this or next year. If you hold on to your big guns for too long, you are only going to stay competitive for so long.

Off topic, Jerry Krause passed away... RIP.

I just feel with the way the NBA is going if you trade a Forward/center that can get you 20/10 every night and stretch the floor out to the 3 point line then you will simply just be looking for another player with that same skill set. Spacing is such a big deal in today's game.

And yes, RIP to Jerry. I wish he could have seen the Hall of Fame in his lifetime. He put together some great teams and really deserved it.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I just feel with the way the NBA is going if you trade a Forward/center that can get you 20/10 every night and stretch the floor out to the 3 point line then you will simply just be looking for another player with that same skill set. Spacing is such a big deal in today's game.

And yes, RIP to Jerry. I wish he could have seen the Hall of Fame in his lifetime. He put together some great teams and really deserved it.

Agreed, like him or not but he indeed put together arguably one of the best teams of all-time.

Oh, and did anyone watch the Suns @ Celtics game? Man, Booker's 70 pts in a loss is interesting, but what's up with the C's D? Lol! :lol:

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
HUGE win for the Blazers over the Nuggets!! They are now the new owner of the #8 spot out west with a full game in front of these same Nuggets.

...and Lakers... please don't beat them Wiz... LOL!

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
And as it was foretold, the Bulls beat the Cavs on national TV.

I do not like the LeBrons, but I am really wondering just what the hell is wrong with them lately? They are relatively healthy, and LBJ has been "rested" (ouch!)... My point is, really good teams just won't fold like this this late into the season. I will be really surprised if they make it to the ECF, and/or Lue still has a job by this time next year.