NBA Thread

• Thread starter rummy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Rockets just can't get the right owner....this is getting sad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
At 0-3 to start the 2022-23 season, I think we deserved to be laughed at... I just feel numb and I don't even get upset or pissed off at us at all.
I just don't know what's going on in Jeanie's head. It's been mismanagement for a decade now with one absolute fluke of a year gifted to them by Lebron wanting to go to LA.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
@StevenC @Azyiu I know British Basketball is a moderately popular thing, but do British/Irish basketball fans tend to follow the NBA or is there a decent local league the country follows? I know I could totally google it, but it's much more fun this way.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
@StevenC @Azyiu I know British Basketball is a moderately popular thing, but do British/Irish basketball fans tend to follow the NBA or is there a decent local league the country follows? I know I could totally google it, but it's much more fun this way.
UK basketball isn't really a thing, and there's certainly nothing to watch. We sometimes get European basketball on various pay TV channels, but that's the closest.

Every British/Irish person who cares about basketball watches NBA, a lot of the European immigrants care about NBA and Euro leagues. The local teams, at least near me, are all amateurs from, mainly eastern, Europe. We don't really play it in schools where I'm from, in favour of soccer, GAA, rugby and field hockey.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
UK basketball isn't really a thing, and there's certainly nothing to watch. We sometimes get European basketball on various pay TV channels, but that's the closest.

Every British/Irish person who cares about basketball watches NBA, a lot of the European immigrants care about NBA and Euro leagues. The local teams, at least near me, are all amateurs from, mainly eastern, Europe. We don't really play it in schools where I'm from, in favour of soccer, GAA, rugby and field hockey.
A lot of the star players around here that I went to high school with now play basketball in Turkey, Bulgaria and Lithuania instead of staying with NBA contracts, which I thought was weird, but I suppose there's easier money over there?

And a quick google search then lied to me saying British Basketball league is popular haha

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
A lot of the star players around here that I went to high school with now play basketball in Turkey, Bulgaria and Lithuania instead of staying with NBA contracts, which I thought was weird, but I suppose there's easier money over there?

And a quick google search then lied to me saying British Basketball league is popular haha
European basketball is a very different game to the NBA. A lot less isolation, even compared to the current era. The closest parallel would be the 2014 Spurs. Even when teams have guys that can be stars in the NBA (Giannis, Luka etc played in Europe first) they don't play the way they do in the NBA. It's an adjustment for a lot of US guys that were stars their whole way until they got to the NBA.

My understanding is that once you get over the ego of not being an NBA player, a long term Euro contract is much safer than fighting for 10-day, G-league, two-way, and minimum contracts in the NBA. Nicola Mirotic is a good example. Played a few years in the NBA after leaving Spain, and was a good player but got traded a bunch. He had plenty of offers in the NBA, but instead chose to go back to Madrid on a long term contract so his family could have a stable life.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
European basketball is a very different game to the NBA. A lot less isolation, even compared to the current era. The closest parallel would be the 2014 Spurs. Even when teams have guys that can be stars in the NBA (Giannis, Luka etc played in Europe first) they don't play the way they do in the NBA. It's an adjustment for a lot of US guys that were stars their whole way until they got to the NBA.

My understanding is that once you get over the ego of not being an NBA player, a long term Euro contract is much safer than fighting for 10-day, G-league, two-way, and minimum contracts in the NBA. Nicola Mirotic is a good example. Played a few years in the NBA after leaving Spain, and was a good player but got traded a bunch. He had plenty of offers in the NBA, but instead chose to go back to Madrid on a long term contract so his family could have a stable life.
Yeah looking at my buddy's brother Nigel, he went from 10 day contracts with the Lakers, Raptors and NY Knicks back and forth for years and looks like he finally settled in Turkey the past few years with one year contracts, I'm sure that's much less stressful. Although relocating to Turkey would be pretty stressful to me...

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
At 0-4, we suck! To add insult to injury, I watched the game live on my iPad until the end of the 1st qtr, then the NBA app acted up again and the game went OFFLINE. I live-chatted with the NBA Tech support until the end of the first half, but they could not fix it. All other games were fine during that time. In the end, I went "F that", and I went back to sleep! Knowing we were likely going to lose anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif

We need to start playing like teams from the 90s and keep setting up high-lo, backdoor cuts, etc., control the tempo and feed the ball inside as much as we could. I think like 2 seasons ago, I will be watching more Suns games when I can. They are more fun to watch than we do now.

Speaking of the British basketball league, it is more or less a semi-pro league like StevenC had said. Less important compared to the EuroLeague. The closest team to me is the Surrey Scorchers. They play at a college basketball arena that seats just under 1000 people... that being said, I bought a pair of tickets to the men's and women's basketball championship games double-headers at the O2 Arena for next May already. A pair of lower-level seats cost just over £50 each. I have no idea who will be playing, but at least it is a championship game, lol.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
We won! We beat the Nuggets at home to go 1-5! It must have been a blue moon or something. We not only won the game, but we shot 43% from 3s? Geez, did we swap personalities with the Warriors for one night? They shot just 30% at the Pistons. Lol :lol: