NDG! Pink Quilt Carvin DC800 *LOTS OF PICS ADDED* (or fixed)

• Thread starter decreebass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

F4R537KTP09

Antithetic machinery
Reaction score
Oh my gosh!!!
I've never thought I would be able to say this, but this pink rules!
Despite all that's already been said: HNGD! (sorry it's a little late...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
...I don't like the juxtaposition of pink and brown.

I LOL'd at this comment - wink wink :)

Even without the DTS that guitar is pure sex!

If you're happy with the sound you're getting, then keep it! What if the rebuilt one doesnt sound as good?

Some people at the CarvinBBS are absolutely sure this is a DTS finish... I'm still on the fence - but that's a bad sign if there's actually even a debate lol. But yea; I'm gonna call Bart over at Carvin on Tuesday and find out what my options are. I really do like it, despite their blunders (and the 10-week wait time it took because the sales dude forgot to process the order).

That's by far the coolest Carvin 8 I've seen (and there are some reaaaally sweet ones on this board)

Thanks for the kind words; it really is stunning in RL; when I'm playing it late at night in low light, I look down and the quilt looks amazing; I'm initially disappointed with the lack of character in the quilt; I expected big, deep pockets with some sort of consistency; this one is a little lackluster, but it's growing on me :)

"I love it. I've got to have it!"
-My daughter

You've definitely got some fans! ;) On the down side, she's @#$%ing obsessed with your guitar now and my wife is less than amused. :rolleyes:

Lol maybe this guitar will become famous - and I can sell it for a small profit :nono: I wouldn't do that... yet... Glad your daughter likes it; is she old/big enough to be able to play an ERG 8-string? It's so rare to see girls playing guitar, let alone electric guitar, let alone anything more than a 6-string, LET ALONE an ERG 8-string...

This Carvin is BEYOND sexy. Sorry to hear about the issues, but I'm sure if you ever wanted to sell it you'd have no trouble! This is amazing, and actually what I intend my next build to be either late this year or next year hopefully :)

Kinda surprising that it's an option 50; Other than a few "Not for me, but..." for the most part people seem to dig it. Sometimes Carvin's business decisions makes me shake my head. If I don't comment on it, be sure you PM when you build yours!

Has there ever been a DTS pink guitar? I'm wondering if the DTS would actually take away from the pink color. Generally it seems to me that DTS looks way better on deeper colors than light colors.

Either way, that thing is awesome. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the pink color next to the brown wood. I don't like the juxtaposition of pink and brown.

Actually, the guitar that inspired me way this one - with an obvious DTS (or whatever PRS calls their version of it):

8410654416_76491f294a_b.jpg

and one of the color samples I emailed them (which they want you to actually print it out and mail it to them for some reason...) was this:

11622_who_looks_best_with_pink_hair_1.jpg

Again; they mutha F***'in NAILED the color; it's the options where they dropped the ball. I also got a little miffed because right after I ordered, then Carvin came out with their 19:1 gear ratios - but that's okay because they don't have the pearl tuners...

Halowords

Reaction score
Lol maybe this guitar will become famous - and I can sell it for a small profit :nono: I wouldn't do that... yet... Glad your daughter likes it; is she old/big enough to be able to play an ERG 8-string? It's so rare to see girls playing guitar, let alone electric guitar, let alone anything more than a 6-string, LET ALONE an ERG 8-string...

She's almost six years old. ;) But I got her a purple Daisy Rock Butterfly short-scale guitar a couple of months ago, so she's good for now. She'll have to wait and see if playing guitars sticks, much less >6 strings. But she still thought that was a pretty fly guitar. I mean, she started to totally lose it over the thing!

-Cheers

AxeHappy

Reaction score
This is very simple to me.

They didn't deliver what you ordered. They should fix that. If a rebuild is needed (and it obviously would be) than that is what they should do.

decreebass

Reaction score

They didn't deliver what you ordered. They should fix that. If a rebuild is needed (and it obviously would be) than that is what they should do.

You're absolutely right; and on paper, I agree with you. The problem is there's the hassle of negotiating a return, re-confirming specs, waiting another 8 weeks, and possibly have something ELSE messed up lol. There's always the chance that it won't sound or feel as good as this one. Then again, it could be better. I don't know; I really wish it were that simple - Because there's actually other stuff to consider, such as how I'm sure every re-build cuts into Carvin's bottom line and surely contributes toward higher prices. I dunno. I think I can live with this if they offer me some sort of consolation; I'm gonna try to get a couple hundred back. If not, then I can just ask for a re-build.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
I believe that wood very slighty affects electric guitars, but it can make all the difference in acoustics. I personally build guitar bodys out of only 3 woods, either mahogany, maple, or alder. Mainly because I stick with the tried and true. It's what I like to work with; easy and takes little work to do detailed designs. I like to make designs on the tops with a chisel from time to time.

To sum it up, if I ever got a guitar with exotic woods, it'd be more about the looks. Pickups are a good fraction of an electric guitars sound.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
It looks fantastic, and who's to say a rebuild will play as well, it's a tough one, but if you really want the DTS you should force it through, not difficult to check they're building to customer specs.

The flamed maple looks sick to me, the whole guitar looks amazing. If it's really not what you're after you need to get on to them, though it sounds like you've bonded with it already!

Randyrhoads123

Got a 7
Reaction score

Agreed here. You paid to get something, they ....ed it up. So screw that, if it were me, I'd get another one that has everything YOU want.

Regardless, it still looks pretty cool.

decreebass

Reaction score
I believe that wood very slighty affects electric guitars, but it can make all the difference in acoustics. I personally build guitar bodys out of only 3 woods, either mahogany, maple, or alder. Mainly because I stick with the tried and true. It's what I like to work with; easy and takes little work to do detailed designs. I like to make designs on the tops with a chisel from time to time.

To sum it up, if I ever got a guitar with exotic woods, it'd be more about the looks. Pickups are a good fraction of an electric guitars sound.

I have a friend who hand-winds pickups and has been playing for a million years; he doesn't believe in the wood making that much of a SONIC difference to ELECTRIC guitars. Of course, you want quality wood so the thing has good sustain and doesn't fall apart with a little humidity, but other than that...

And yea; I definitely got the quilt and flame maple for aesthetics. This is actually my first guitar with a maple board; I really like how bright it is compared to the ebony or rosewood that I've been used to.

Also REALLY glad I got the inlays, diminutive though they may be. They're like elegant little jewels sprinkled on my fretboard (okay, even I'll admit that sounded gay lol). Ahh... It's getting late.

decreebass

Reaction score
TOO SICK. Really love this dc800 man.

Thanks man.

I can't put it down. Really. I've had it strapped on for the last 4 hours. Starting to be thankful they messed up and used a lighter-weight wood for the wings lol.

To make my GAS worse and glue me to my guitar rig for more hours, I actually came across an amazing deal on a vintage Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (5-knob) so I've been playing all night - it's a great guitar.

Reaction score
It looks nice, though pink is not my colour :p

Did they use Elixir strings for their 8 strings as well? Because the biggest gauge Elixir offers is a 068, and that's not big enough for a F#.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
and one of the color samples I emailed them (which they want you to actually print it out and mail it to them for some reason...)

Actually it's not an unusual request since colors displayed on monitors can differ greatly depending on the actual monitor itself as well as the chosen color/tint settings, what you see at home could be VERY different from how it looks on their monitors at the factory. The paint guys might match something exactly to how it looks on their screen but when you get it back it won't match what you saw on your screen originally. If they have a printed copy of what you want them to match, there's no discrepancy between what you saw and what they received and used to match the stain. :yesway:

Sorry to hear they screwed up your specs, that's pretty unfortunate (although not really surprising, they botched specs on more than one of my builds before too :lol:) however I will say that the color on that build is AWESOME! :D I love the pink stain, so if they didn't use the DTS process on it, I'd say you lucked out. Not sure adding black to the stain first would have been a good thing IMO. :2c: As far as the body wood goes, if you dig the sound of the alder with the walnut neck and can get past the fact that they didn't build it how you ordered it, ask for a discount and enjoy that you got a sweet guitar at a discount! :yesway:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I have a friend who hand-winds pickups and has been playing for a million years; he doesn't believe in the wood making that much of a SONIC difference to ELECTRIC guitars. Of course, you want quality wood so the thing has good sustain and doesn't fall apart with a little humidity, but other than that...

And yea; I definitely got the quilt and flame maple for aesthetics. This is actually my first guitar with a maple board; I really like how bright it is compared to the ebony or rosewood that I've been used to.

Also REALLY glad I got the inlays, diminutive though they may be. They're like elegant little jewels sprinkled on my fretboard (okay, even I'll admit that sounded gay lol). Ahh... It's getting late.

Lol. I can always always tell a guitar with a maple neck, the response is so much snappier and quicker. Other woods not so much, but maple necks yes. The flamed maple looks amazing to me. Seriously digging this guitar.

decreebass

Reaction score
It looks nice, though pink is not my colour :p

Did they use Elixir strings for their 8 strings as well? Because the biggest gauge Elixir offers is a 068, and that's not big enough for a F#.

Hmm; on their guitar builder it says .010-.068 but I don't think they're Elixers; I forget off hand which brand Carvin uses as their house brand. They're not bad though. I'm probably gonna order some Circle-Ks though; people around here seem to dig them.

But actually, the F# has some pretty good clarity; I can actually play power chords and not have any semblance of tonality obliterated.

decreebass

Reaction score
Actually it's not an unusual request since colors displayed on monitors can differ greatly depending on the actual monitor itself as well as the chosen color/tint settings, what you see at home could be VERY different from how it looks on their monitors at the factory. The paint guys might match something exactly to how it looks on their screen but when you get it back it won't match what you saw on your screen originally. If they have a printed copy of what you want them to match, there's no discrepancy between what you saw and what they received and used to match the stain. :yesway:...

Yea that's what they said; but the way I see it, what if my printer sucks? lol Then I can't even get them a decent sample. Anyway, modern monitors are pretty consistent; and I other than the sample pics I sent, I gave a thorough explanation of the color I wanted: "not pastel, not purple, and not red" - I'm sure I said more, but that was the gist and they came through amazingly on that.

...Sorry to hear they screwed up your specs, that's pretty unfortunate (although not really surprising, they botched specs on more than one of my builds before too :lol:) however I will say that the color on that build is AWESOME! :D I love the pink stain, so if they didn't use the DTS process on it, I'd say you lucked out. Not sure adding black to the stain first would have been a good thing IMO. :2c: As far as the body wood goes, if you dig the sound of the alder with the walnut neck and can get past the fact that they didn't build it how you ordered it, ask for a discount and enjoy that you got a sweet guitar at a discount! :yesway:

If I dig the sound of the alder?!?!?! :facepalm: lol haha yea, no it's a fine sounding instrument overall. Again, I'm really not a believer in tonewoods, especially with active pickups into 10 effects pedals into a distorted amp :) But yea it sounds good. I'm not terribly worried about the sound if I send it back; it's the wait time, really. I've already been waiting since March 15th. We'll see; I should have some definitive plan of action tomorrow. I'm pushing for a little discount/refund but from what I understand, it's hard to get. I think they would rather just rebuild it than give someone a discount. Hell; all I'm asking for is a $200 refund. You know how much it will cost them to return this guitar and ship me a new one since I live in Hawaii? $220. Yea. Not to mention the cost of the rebuild, the processing & photography to put this one in their GIS inventory, and the money they will lose by selling it in the GIS (well, lost money as compared with me having paid full price).