Neural DSP teasing something new (Quad Cortex)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a tier 1 preorder and received an FM3 a few weeks ago.

It took me about 5 minutes to dial in a rhythm tone that I am happy with and I'm starting to doubt the need (want really) for the QC.

Maybe I should play my neural plugins through my power amp for a more direct comparison.

it's gotta be a perfectly linear, flat power amp tho

you can't disable the power section on Neural plugins. You can only bypass the cab, pedals, or entire amp

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bassisace

Reaction score
Basic question: for studio use, what would you recommend between axefx 3 and QC? Any important limitations of QC?

icipher

Reaction score
Curse them! I can't believe they decided to make a general purpose product that is sure to have wide appeal rather than a product tailored to your personal needs! They are so entitled. Bastages!

Stop pretending I am the only one that who would want what I described. Tons of people would throw their money to get something like that.

broangiel

Reaction score
Basic question: for studio use, what would you recommend between axefx 3 and QC? Any important limitations of QC?
Axe is going to be a more flexible, capable machine in the short term. Maybe NDSP adds all the same (or similar) bells and whistles, but Axe will do way, way more for the foreseeable future (and maybe forever).

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Stop pretending I am the only one that who would want what I described. Tons of people would throw their money to get something like that.

That's not the point. For what you want, you probably need 90% of the hardware. Because going forward the software can be included at no cost to them, if you want a device that does 50% less at 50% the cost, that's the same as just asking them for a QC at 50% off from the point of view of the company. Not to mention extra dev and production costs for a second line. Pretty shit deal.

Plus it would cannibalize their own market of people who would be torn between the higher-cost/higher-profit QC and the lower-profit stripped down model.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

you can't disable the power section on Neural plugins. You can only bypass the cab, pedals, or entire amp

That’s my biggest question on the QC: whether you can diasable power amp sim. I’m not sure how big a deal that is though since with the FM3 I actually like having the PA on (minimum amount of sag) as opposed to totally off (0.0 sag).

Really the only reasons I’m interested in the QC at this point is the ability to run two amps at once, the UI, and the number of switches. The FM3 can’t do two amps and, though it’s definitely more capable than you’d think three switches would be, I’d like to have more and maintain the form factor. I have an FC6 which is fine but does double the size of the Fractal rig.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s my biggest question on the QC: whether you can diasable power amp sim. I’m not sure how big a deal that is though since with the FM3 I actually like having the PA on (minimum amount of sag) as opposed to totally off (0.0 sag).

Really the only reasons I’m interested in the QC at this point is the ability to run two amps at once, the UI, and the number of switches. The FM3 can’t do two amps and, though it’s definitely more capable than you’d think three switches would be, I’d like to have more and maintain the form factor. I have an FC6 which is fine but does double the size of the Fractal rig.

MC6. Or MC3. :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@budda My thoughts exactly. QC might turn out great, or just underwhelming.

Yes, so...

I think the only thing really swaying people to QC is the UI, maybe the buttons.

Im also not the target market :lol:. I am however a very satisfied axe fx iii owner.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
MC6. Or MC3. :yesway:

I have an MC6 and an MC8 lol. The FC6 setup ain’t that bad. The QC just has what looks like an ideal form factor. It’s basically what I was wanting from Fractal—a more direct successor to the AX8. Don’t get me wrong the FM3 is awesome.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an MC6 and an MC8 lol. The FC6 setup ain’t that bad. The QC just has what looks like an ideal form factor. It’s basically what I was wanting from Fractal—a more direct successor to the AX8. Don’t get me wrong the FM3 is awesome.

If you dont want the mc8 later, let me know. Not that Im in a rush :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Rack > Pedal for studio use.

Also, considering Neural is a mostly VST company, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually have something similar to Helix Native where you don't need the hardware at all. They're already looking to lean pretty heavily on their existing VSTs anyway, I see limited reasons for the QC as a studio piece compared to the Axe. That's before you even get into the track record of it versus the unknowns of the other.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

Depends what you mean by studio use. You can probably get away with 1-2 plugins and some impulses to cover 99% of all metal genre needs. I struggle to see the point of any hardware modelling unit for studio use. It’s just adding extra crap and extra steps in the chain. What most people are doing is providing live monitoring to the guitarist, capturing a DI and then tweaking the tone later. That’s way easier with plugins.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score

It would have to be my Matrix GT1000, not sure how flat it is but it was advertised as being designed for modellers so I guess it'll be acceptable.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by studio use. You can probably get away with 1-2 plugins and some impulses to cover 99% of all metal genre needs. I struggle to see the point of any hardware modelling unit for studio use. It’s just adding extra crap and extra steps in the chain. What most people are doing is providing live monitoring to the guitarist, capturing a DI and then tweaking the tone later. That’s way easier with plugins.

What about alleviating computer processing by doing it in a box?

I doubt current plugins can cover all the tones an axefx3 can, but I may be wrong.

Tweaking the tone later with what? Do you mean reamping with an actual cab-amp or just tweaking the tone on the dry track with your plugin later?

Are you saying rack units like AxeFx only have a use for live stuff?

Not being confrontational, just trying to understand your point.

Last edited:

laxu

Reaction score
What about alleviating computer processing by doing it in a box?

I doubt current plugins can cover all the tones an axefx3 can, but I may be wrong.

Most plugins will not be that heavy to run.

I went from an Axe-Fx 2 with 200+ amps/channels/variants to the Yamaha THR100HD which has two channels with 4 amp models each. I felt I lost really nothing relevant in the amp sim department.

Helix Native plugin can cover most things the Axe-Fx 3 does but does not have as good cab sims or reverbs. Both of which you can easily replace with other plugins or IRs. Obviously also none of the advanced tweaking options if you care about those. I don't know about the synth or pitch shift stuff so I don't know how the Helix compares in that regard. Never used them myself.

You can do a helluva lot with a handful of amp models and knowing how to use EQs well. I can get the majority of the tones I would ever use just from the ML Sound Labs ML5 (Mesa Mark V) plugin. Changing IRs often has more effect on tone than changing amp models.

To me the main benefits of hardware units are that they are easier to hook up to other stuff and have real knobs you can use over virtual ones. I used my Axe-Fx 2 99% through Axe-Edit because it was a real chore otherwise. Axe-Fx 3 is better in this regard but still a bit half assed UI if you ask me. The Line6 Helix hardware is super easy to operate and I never hook it up to my computer for anything but updates and IR uploads. The QC looks like it will be even better.

As for NeuralDSP plugins...I tried the Cali and Omega in the last few days and I don't care about them. Most of the presets are fizz city and I ended up dialing pretty much the same sound out of both. Even then it was not as good as what I get with Helix Native -> MIKKO cab sim or the ML5. I like the NeuralDSP Plini plugin a lot though but even that is kind of a "instant polished guitar tone" type of deal you can just throw into a mix but it's not necessarily all that realistic to play through. I feel the NeuralDSP plugins always sound like I am playing something through different filters more than anything.

I am interested to hear how the QC performs in this regard when the goal is accurate amp simulation rather than just "sounds good in a mix" tones.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score