New 2 Channel Rectifier? - Badlander

• Thread starter protest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

viifox

Reaction score
Wow, the Ryan Bruce demo sounds terrrrible.

Just got done watching it. Yeah, it doesn't sound good at all. It's like scooped fizz.

That's not a knock against Fluff or anything, but i do hope the video isn't a good representation of what the amp actually sounds like.

I thought the tones he got from his TC-50 video were light years better.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lord of chads

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On paper this is exactly what I want, but all the demos are only OK so far. I don't think it sounds bad though. After only owning a Carvin Legacy for years, the badlander sounds more tight a less muddy. But anything sounds tight and clear compared to a Legacy.

I still really want to try it though, the low gain stuff sounds pretty good, even though I play high gain 95% of the time.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Is there any reason other than saving $300 to get the 50w instead of the 100w?

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
So the 100w set to 50w will sound different than the 50w set to 50w? Why is this?

cmpxchg

Reaction score
So the 100w set to 50w will sound different than the 50w set to 50w? Why is this?
guessing, but different output transformer, maybe? probably won't make a big difference considering Rectos aren't focused on power amp distortion. that said 100W will definitely have more clean headroom.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
guessing, but different output transformer, maybe? probably won't make a big difference considering Rectos aren't focused on power amp distortion. that said 100W will definitely have more clean headroom.
Actually, the "recto sound" comes from its poweramp. The preamp is basically a SLO circuit.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Still the Axe Palace comparison of the dual and triple multiwatt helped clarify some noticeable differences between the two.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It kinda sounds to me like they took the more recent Recto circuit and started from there (just based on the clips so far), tweaking it to be a bit tighter, while maybe people were hoping they would go back to the old revision circuit and mess about from there. Not surprising, just something that I was thinking about.

It almost sounds like they did some trimming after the distortion, which isn't necessarily bad, but was never my concern and not really what happened when people boosted the originals.

A Recto is an amp that, in my opinion, almost never demos well anyways, so I'll be curious to hear one in person. I think that's the only way we will get a real idea of how tight the front end is. As someone who has owned a ton of Rectifiers at this point, I have a real love/hate thing with them, but I'm hoping this one might be able to tilt that firmly into love.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
A Recto is an amp that, in my opinion, almost never demos well anyways, so I'll be curious to hear one in person. I think that's the only way we will get a real idea of how tight the front end is. As someone who has owned a ton of Rectifiers at this point, I have a real love/hate thing with them, but I'm hoping this one might be able to tilt that firmly into love.

I agree, and I think it's because it's an amp that has simple controls, yet is difficult to get it just right. I played a triple rec in a band for years, owned all kinds of rectifiers over the years, and I currently own a MW Dual rec, and I have to say once you get your sound dialed in, it's an amazing sounding amplifier. It also blends really well with other amps for rhythm guitar. Blending a rectifier sound with a Mesa Mark amp, Peavey 5150 or EVH can just sound amazing. Listen to the tone of the guy in Dyscarnate as an example, simply awesome sound:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Actually, the "recto sound" comes from its poweramp. The preamp is basically a SLO circuit.

Pretty sure they don't use the SLO clone preamp anymore (doesn't seem they have since the '90s), but yeah, a lot of the Recto sauce is the power amps. There's some pretty decent differences between the Single, Dual, and Triple Recto. FWIW I actually liked the Single Recto I owned briefly over the Triple I had. It actually seemed to be brighter, slightly tighter, and had a more gnarly midrange.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure they don't use the SLO clone preamp anymore (doesn't seem they have since the '90s), but yeah, a lot of the Recto sauce is the power amps. There's some pretty decent differences between the Single, Dual, and Triple Recto. FWIW I actually liked the Single Recto I owned briefly over the Triple I had. It actually seemed to be brighter, slightly tighter, and had a more gnarly midrange.

Yeah, of course. And this one will probably sound the most different of them all. Just pointing out the huge misconception of disregarding the poweramp on the Recto sound.

Last edited:

viifox

Reaction score
Yeah, of course. And this one will probably sound the most different of them all. Just pointing out the huge misconception of disregarding the poweramp on the Recto sound.
Is the misconception pretty common? I mean, it seems like most recto owners know that the real magic doesn't manifest until you've got some serious volume engaged, then that recto roar kicks in and you get sledgehammered in the gut!

cmpxchg

Reaction score
This got me wondering--how similar are the MW Dual/Triples to one another if they're both running at 50W? I haven't been able to find any comparisons of that.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score

Yeah I had a single Rec it kicked like a mule. Miss it so much haha

Shask

Reaction score
A good example of this is just look at how popular the Recto amps are, and how unpopular the Recto Rack preamp is.

Just don't have the sound without the matching poweramp.