new AxePalace RG2027XLS Limited Run (Satin Silver)

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get it they make cheaper and more expensive and 6 string versions, just not a 7 string RG or RGA one. I want to be the first to know if you ever think about doing a limited run like this (my main axe). The back of neck is 3 piece maple and has a volute, and the back of body is flat like an rga, not carved out thin like an rga. More like an rga7 original would be. I don't need the double edge or fancy inlay, but a blank black ebony board, bass wood body would work great and flame top would be even better. The neck is modeled after an rg2027xvv with medium frets etc. It's the most killer guitar I've ever played for what I like. Oh, Emg routes too. Get a run of these and I will save dibs for 2 of the closest matched heaviest weighted ones you can get. This guitar is a beast at 9.8 lbs. That binding is not binding it's scraped edges tof maple to look like natural binding. Even a skeleton of this would be awesome.

View attachment 73059

im totally in awe (almost). is this thing long scale or standard scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
im totally in awe (almost). is this thing long scale or standard scale?
It's a 25.5" scale. I like 25.5" more for verstatility. Long scale is great but to hard for me to do big chords on. I would be all over long scales if I wasn't doing more complex stretches. I had a 26.75" guitar at one point and struggled with it on and off for years. I just couldn't do it no matter how much I loved that guitar, so I had to get rid of it. I tune to Bb so it's not really an issue for me with the 25.5" scale. Glad you like it.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a 25.5" scale. I like 25.5" more for verstatility. Long scale is great but to hard for me to do big chords on. I would be all over long scales if I wasn't doing more complex stretches. I had a 26.75" guitar at one point and struggled with it on and off for years. I just couldn't do it no matter how much I loved that guitar, so I had to get rid of it. I tune to Bb so it's not really an issue for me with the 25.5" scale. Glad you like it.

no worries at all brother, i was just going to have a heart attack if it was also a baritone lol. (while the jury is still out deliberating on 7 string gutiars), for 6 strings Ive found that I cant comfortably play 25.5" and below unless its in standard tuning/drop D, and even then, 26.5" is much more comfy. 27" is my perfect scale for Drop C and lower, and with my playing style i dont have a lot of stretchy chords and my main playing area is between 8th and 15th frets (I learned very early on from Mike Mushok of Staind how to use very low tuned guitars and use voicings high on the neck). on 25.5", I also can never get my action very low because of the low tunings i would use taht required fairly thick strings to give proper tension, and as such, had to sit higher off the fretboard or risk buzzing out. The longer scales also help with preventing the string from oscillating as much, so you can get away with a lower action without risking buzzing. Just this past year, i made a last ditch effort to try and get along with a standard scale 6 when I bought the RGA6UCS (sitting just barely beneath the JCustom tier). i even went full out and paid to have it setup professionally in Drop A#/C standard to ensure that it wasnt just me doing a shitty job setting my 6s up. Thing cost me just short of $3k, and judging by the specs, the only things that were different than i would get on a custom is the baritone scale and reverse headstock, so if there was going to be ANY Ibanez standard scale guitar that i could like, this would have to be it. So I finally get it back and i start playing on it..... within 30 minutes, I was putting it back in its case and I would end up pulling my 27" 970XL out to play instead. It sucks because that guitar was everything i wanted in a 6 minus those two things mentioned earlier. So if i couldnt get along with the standard scale RGA, there was no Ibanez model 6 with a standard scale that was going to make me happy. and it sucks, the guitars with the specs I want are never baritones, and the baritones that have come out, ive had to make a sacrifice on one thing or another lol.

7 strings are a little bit of adifferent story for me. For example, if i wanted to take a standard scale 6 and tune it to B standard, the above issues would happen (high action, thick strings for muddy tone, etc).... BUT, if playing a standard scale 7 string in B standard, you can achieve a lower action for smoother playing, the string gauges are balanced with each other, the tone is spot on, and the sound from the 7 would always win IMO over a detuned 6 because of the additional wood for the neck size difference. So Im not as stickler on my 7s being long-scale as i am my 6s. Im eventually going to try and land an Ibanez RGA427Z to leave in B standard, that is, if i can get along with the scale lol. Below is a family shot, note that the RG2770z and RGA72TQMZ are the only remaining standard scale axes Ive got. Im sending my buddy the RGA since it doesnt get played anymore, and eventually someone will buy the 2770Z lol

71542789_10162501087585089_650003829500149760_o.jpg

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
no worries at all brother, i was just going to have a heart attack if it was also a baritone lol. (while the jury is still out deliberating on 7 string gutiars), for 6 strings Ive found that I cant comfortably play 25.5" and below unless its in standard tuning/drop D, and even then, 26.5" is much more comfy. 27" is my perfect scale for Drop C and lower, and with my playing style i dont have a lot of stretchy chords and my main playing area is between 8th and 15th frets (I learned very early on from Mike Mushok of Staind how to use very low tuned guitars and use voicings high on the neck). on 25.5", I also can never get my action very low because of the low tunings i would use taht required fairly thick strings to give proper tension, and as such, had to sit higher off the fretboard or risk buzzing out. The longer scales also help with preventing the string from oscillating as much, so you can get away with a lower action without risking buzzing. Just this past year, i made a last ditch effort to try and get along with a standard scale 6 when I bought the RGA6UCS (sitting just barely beneath the JCustom tier). i even went full out and paid to have it setup professionally in Drop A#/C standard to ensure that it wasnt just me doing a shitty job setting my 6s up. Thing cost me just short of $3k, and judging by the specs, the only things that were different than i would get on a custom is the baritone scale and reverse headstock, so if there was going to be ANY Ibanez standard scale guitar that i could like, this would have to be it. So I finally get it back and i start playing on it..... within 30 minutes, I was putting it back in its case and I would end up pulling my 27" 970XL out to play instead. It sucks because that guitar was everything i wanted in a 6 minus those two things mentioned earlier. So if i couldnt get along with the standard scale RGA, there was no Ibanez model 6 with a standard scale that was going to make me happy. and it sucks, the guitars with the specs I want are never baritones, and the baritones that have come out, ive had to make a sacrifice on one thing or another lol.

7 strings are a little bit of adifferent story for me. For example, if i wanted to take a standard scale 6 and tune it to B standard, the above issues would happen (high action, thick strings for muddy tone, etc).... BUT, if playing a standard scale 7 string in B standard, you can achieve a lower action for smoother playing, the string gauges are balanced with each other, the tone is spot on, and the sound from the 7 would always win IMO over a detuned 6 because of the additional wood for the neck size difference. So Im not as stickler on my 7s being long-scale as i am my 6s. Im eventually going to try and land an Ibanez RGA427Z to leave in B standard, that is, if i can get along with the scale lol. Below is a family shot, note that the RG2770z and RGA72TQMZ are the only remaining standard scale axes Ive got. Im sending my buddy the RGA since it doesnt get played anymore, and eventually someone will buy the 2770Z lol

71542789_10162501087585089_650003829500149760_o.jpg
I tried that first Mike Mushok model at guitar center when they came out. It was ridiculous like a 30" scale I think. I couldn't do anything on it : ) It would be nice if Ibby made an rga7ucs, but it would cost to much. The rga427z interset me but I'm pretty set on my low pro trem. I've also been looking at those lower end rga7420fm because they are way less money and have a potential for modifiying too, but reading up on all these oddball woods concerns me. It seems it's like a cheap brittle type mahogany or something, prone to craking etc. (Jtoba and maranti wood etc.) I've had my custom for 20 years and all I want is a backup of it (2 actually) but I can't find anyone to build it and the original builder is retired and can't do it any longer.
- I also have a conspiracy that Ibanez is making the model of this new guitar called the 2027x jsut like the last one because it's the same as the original 2027x I had that it was modeld after which was a 25.5 scale with the double edge lo pro trem. I think they want those models lost to history because I've annoyed them so much about it over the years for parts and such about it (the rg2027xvv and rg2127x etc) Imo, That double edge is the best trem Ibanez ever made. It's just a lopro with different saddles but those piezo saddles feel different than normal lopro saddles. They give you this really nice pivot point and you can get some nice levarage with the right palm, and though it's not supposed to be any different, the string spacing is ever so slightly narrower by maybe a 1-2mm. total across all 7 strings. When I pickup my rg7620 with the noral lo pro I like the wider spacing more. It has the same guarges and setup and everything so it's defiitley the sadddles. Unlike most people and you too it seems, I like high action , fat strings and low frets. It's harder to play but you can really punch and stab at it dynamically and it will punch back. You can't choke the strings out.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried that first Mike Mushok model at guitar center when they came out. It was ridiculous like a 30" scale I think. I couldn't do anything on it : ) It would be nice if Ibby made an rga7ucs, but it would cost to much. The rga427z interset me but I'm pretty set on my low pro trem. I've also been looking at those lower end rga7420fm because they are way less money and have a potential for modifiying too, but reading up on all these oddball woods concerns me. It seems it's like a cheap brittle type mahogany or something, prone to craking etc. (Jtoba and maranti wood etc.) I've had my custom for 20 years and all I want is a backup of it (2 actually) but I can't find anyone to build it and the original builder is retired and can't do it any longer.
- I also have a conspiracy that Ibanez is making the model of this new guitar called the 2027x jsut like the last one because it's the same as the original 2027x I had that it was modeld after which was a 25.5 scale with the double edge lo pro trem. I think they want those models lost to history because I've annoyed them so much about it over the years for parts and such about it (the rg2027xvv and rg2127x etc) Imo, That double edge is the best trem Ibanez ever made. It's just a lopro with different saddles but those piezo saddles feel different than normal lopro saddles. They give you this really nice pivot point and you can get some nice levarage with the right palm, and though it's not supposed to be any different, the string spacing is ever so slightly narrower by maybe a 1-2mm. total across all 7 strings. When I pickup my rg7620 with the noral lo pro I like the wider spacing more. It has the same guarges and setup and everything so it's defiitley the sadddles. Unlike most people and you too it seems, I like high action , fat strings and low frets. It's harder to play but you can really punch and stab at it dynamically and it will punch back. You can't choke the strings out.

if i remember correctly, the Mushok MMM1 was 28", but im with you on that one. 28" is too much for me, and the Mushok model also had a baseball bat for a neck so its a total no go for me. But I learned from his playing style how to use a Baritone for more than just Djent lol.

on LoPros, you and I are two peas in a pod there lol, im a complete LoPro snob. I converted my old RG2550Z to take a LoPro instead of Edge Zero, and I am also planning on the same conversion for my RGD2120Z. I would of course do the same thing to the RGA427Z once I got it, but they are a real challenge to find nowadays.

with your woes for your situation, could I recommend Mayones guitars to you? Their Duvell bodystyle is pretty close to an RGA, and their necks are the closest to Ibanez prestige profiles than any other manufacturer. Have you checked them out yet? I went balls to the walls on my custom quote (including LEDs), and I still didnt break $5k. Have you seen their models yet?

link: https://mayones.com/page/duvell-elite-7-trans-black
duvell_elite_ep_7_trans_black_1600_front.jpg

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
if i remember correctly, the Mushok MMM1 was 28", but im with you on that one. 28" is too much for me, and the Mushok model also had a baseball bat for a neck so its a total no go for me. But I learned from his playing style how to use a Baritone for more than just Djent lol.

on LoPros, you and I are two peas in a pod there lol, im a complete LoPro snob. I converted my old RG2550Z to take a LoPro instead of Edge Zero, and I am also planning on the same conversion for my RGD2120Z. I would of course do the same thing to the RGA427Z once I got it, but they are a real challenge to find nowadays.

with your woes for your situation, could I recommend Mayones guitars to you? Their Duvell bodystyle is pretty close to an RGA, and their necks are the closest to Ibanez prestige profiles than any other manufacturer. Have you checked them out yet? I went balls to the walls on my custom quote (including LEDs), and I still didnt break $5k. Have you seen their models yet?

link: https://mayones.com/page/duvell-elite-7-trans-black
duvell_elite_ep_7_trans_black_1600_front.jpg

they also made some design changes to the body this year too:
duvell_2019_facelift.png

I never tired them. I've seen them and they look really nice though. I have some stuff in the works already though with custom necks already built, but that's for another day. They look just like the neck on that green guitar I have without the inlay's and the profile is even faster, basically no shoulders. : )
- I'm sad to see they put an armrest on that Duvell. It's exactly what I don't want. I like either flat tops or carve tops because of the comfort factor. The arm contour actually makes it harder to play for me. I feel like I'm always straining on them because the way the angle is to the bridge. I gotta work alot harder for stability. I use that extra wood on arch tops as a pivot type thing. Thanks for the info though.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I never tired them. I've seen them and they look really nice though. I have some stuff in the works already though with custom necks already built, but that's for another day. They look just like the neck on that green guitar I have without the inlay's and the profile is even faster, basically no shoulders. : )
- I'm sad to see they put an armrest on that Duvell. It's exactly what I don't want. I like either flat tops or carve tops because of the comfort factor. The arm contour actually makes it harder to play for me. I feel like I'm always straining on them because the way the angle is to the bridge. I gotta work alot harder for stability. I use that extra wood on arch tops as a pivot type thing. Thanks for the info though.

no worries brother. they do make arched tops for their Regius models, which are also neck throughs
mayones_regius_7_1200.jpg
mayones_regius_7_1200_back.jpg
dbq7mrw9h7qckhvgnw1s.jpg

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
So this little Gem came in today, ironically enough on my birthday. Lol. Cant wait to get it home to hear it in action. First impression is its gorgeous and pictures do not justify the finish at all. The neck feels not too thin and not too thick, my favorite part of the K7, personally.

Attachments

• 1E66EDAA-1FFC-4C2A-83F6-53486D80933E.jpeg
    1E66EDAA-1FFC-4C2A-83F6-53486D80933E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So this little Gem came in today, ironically enough on my birthday. Lol. Cant wait to get it home to hear it in action. First impression is its gorgeous and pictures do not justify the finish at all. The neck feels not too thin and not too thick, my favorite part of the K7, personally.

Looks sexy! Congrats.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am pretty much in love with this RG2027XLS. The neck is amazingly like the K7 and so comfy to play. The finish is so cool! So Ill post a pic comparing colors for those that may be curious. On the left is Satin Silver RG2027XLS, two in the middle are Grey Nickel RG7421XL/RG7620, 4th from the left is my Silver LACS, on the far right is Blade Grey K7.

Attachments

• 02535694-BDA4-46B1-8E7C-AF8674054F86.jpeg
    02535694-BDA4-46B1-8E7C-AF8674054F86.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
.... I converted my old RG2550Z to take a LoPro instead of Edge Zero, and I am also planning on the same conversion for my RGD2120Z,,,,,

I'm curious, how much of a hassel was that to do the Z to LoPro conversion? I always thought they weren't compatible without major surgery ad rework being done.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious, how much of a hassel was that to do the Z to LoPro conversion? I always thought they weren't compatible without major surgery ad rework being done.

I didnt document the last conversion i did, it was pre-cell phone days lol. even now, i dont always document my surgeries but since this was has been a hot topic ever since introducing the idea Ill be sure to document the RGD's change. Its not as dramatic as one would believe from reading all the hype, however, anyone that follows my work knows that Im infamous for making my trems fixed. So while my modifications work perfectly fine for those who lock their trems, they can in no way be related to the proper function of said tremolo unit. In order to convert this for ACTUAL trem use is difficult, time-consuming, and risk-prone. I would never recommend this modification for anyone who uses their trem functionality. I will be doing a "Preface" when I do my tutorial that will make this abundantly clear before gertting into the work, in hopes of preventing someone from misunderstanding the end result. If you are locking your trems like me, theres very little work, very little risk involved but as this is a permanent modification, if you want this guitar to not be "fixed" down the road, you will likely incur serious issues.

heres a pic of my RG2770Z which has a routing for an Edge Zero. You can see on the tail-end of the Edge LoPro i dropped into it, the route would need to be widened slightly to accomodate it. The only other modification needed is to remove the current posts and stud-inserts, use wood glue and a dowel rod to fill the holes, then allow time to cure and smooth everything out. Once cured, drill the proper spacing for the stud-inserts/posts of the LoPro, insert the posts and studs, and be on your way!
71265100_10162525666455089_2409938456529600512_o.jpg
72293093_10162525666340089_607866017028243456_o.jpg

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt document the last conversion i did, it was pre-cell phone days lol. even now, i dont always document my surgeries but since this was has been a hot topic ever since introducing the idea Ill be sure to document the RGD's change. Its not as dramatic as one would believe from reading all the hype, however, anyone that follows my work knows that Im infamous for making my trems fixed. So while my modifications work perfectly fine for those who lock their trems, they can in no way be related to the proper function of said tremolo unit. In order to convert this for ACTUAL trem use is difficult, time-consuming, and risk-prone. I would never recommend this modification for anyone who uses their trem functionality. I will be doing a "Preface" when I do my tutorial that will make this abundantly clear before gertting into the work, in hopes of preventing someone from misunderstanding the end result. If you are locking your trems like me, theres very little work, very little risk involved but as this is a permanent modification, if you want this guitar to not be "fixed" down the road, you will likely incur serious issues.

heres a pic of my RG2770Z which has a routing for an Edge Zero. You can see on the tail-end of the Edge LoPro i dropped into it, the route would need to be widened slightly to accomodate it. The only other modification needed is to remove the current posts and stud-inserts, use wood glue and a dowel rod to fill the holes, then allow time to cure and smooth everything out. Once cured, drill the proper spacing for the stud-inserts/posts of the LoPro, insert the posts and studs, and be on your way!

Main thing really is getting the studs plugged and drilled again which would have to be done by a wizard to ensure the new ones don't rip out under tension.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Main thing really is getting the studs plugged and drilled again which would have to be done by a wizard to ensure the new ones don't rip out under tension.

ive been getting little bits of advice from Chris Woods here and there on pitfalls to avoid falling in and this was one of them. Not something that you want to do hap-hazardly, even if you really are just keeping the trem locked down. For that bit, she's going to an actual Luthier to do, because im not spending all the money on the tools id need to do it right, only to be doing it once lol

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

Way beyond me to do that. I'd take it to a luthier before that. Funny, I float my trem but never really use it. Sometimes I palm it for a little vibrato but that's about it. I can't see the picts you put up, but I can imagine exactly what you're doing how you described it. I think it's my browswer not showing it nothing on this end. Thanks for the info.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Way beyond me to do that. I'd take it to a luthier before that. Funny, I float my trem but never really use it. Sometimes I palm it for a little vibrato but that's about it. I can't see the picts you put up, but I can imagine exactly what you're doing how you described it. I think it's my browswer not showing it nothing on this end. Thanks for the info.

my apologies, i forgot Facebook doesnt like to share so i uploaded them here

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
one of my RG970XL guitars is out of commission for now (waiting on pickups), so I am using its LoPro for the RGD once the work is done.