New ESP Whitechapel Signatures!

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Real Hipshot vs ESP's version of a Hipshot. Alex's prototype has a real Hipshot bridge, and the production model AW-7s have an ESP version.

I have an AW-7 on the way, and looking at the screw placements of the two bridges, can you swap the ESP Hipshot for a real one? Looks to me like new holes would have to be drilled. :scratch:

I'm pretty sure, after looking for a good 5 minutes at it, it's just an optical illusion at that point. The hipshot just goes back further, probably to grant more intonation space.. However it appears to have the mounting screws and saddle placement in the same exact place. I wouldn't worry about it, like others have said it looks like the agile hipshot copy, and those seem to be drop-in replacements for hipshots and are very easily interchangeable.

Though, if they ARE like the agile hipshot copies, from my experience.. absolutely no need to replace them. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickSchneider

Reaction score
This is the first ESP/LTD that has truly tempted me into a purchase (if i had the money right now), mainly i think because it doesn't have the 12th fret model number inlay - I can't express how much I hate that! It's one of the factors which made me get a Schecter Solo-6 over an LTD EC

Reaction score
Hey Alex, on that note... I'm guessing that the NAMM display AW-7 has the mahogany wings instead of tha alder your actual prototype has am I correct? If so, do you have an issue with the mahogany one being darker and almost muddy sounding in comparison to the prototype??? I am still having a hard time trying to get mine EQ'd, and want to know if yours is the same way or if I just got one that happens to be the ultimate oddity of them all.

If you can let me know on that, I'd like to know your take on the alder vs mahogany. I may wind up sticking a set of Duncan Distortion 7's in mine, if not going the route of the Phase 1 EMTY Blackout 7's...

Thanks man!!!

I second this. And also, which do you honestly prefer?

In further inquiry about this issue on these guitars, IIRC I thought Alex mentioned using the I Meg pots on his prototype... So it makes me wonder if he swapped the 500K pots out of the NAMM production model as well, or if he's running it with the 500K's in it... I know this would be a huge difference in tonality as a result...

I again am looking forward to Alex's reply on this, and if he's swapped the pots out on the production one and which he like the tone of better - the mahogany one or the alder one...

TasmanSam

Reaction score
I am 90% certain that I will be getting the Ben Savage model as my next 7, It literally has everything i want in a 7 string: Dimarzios, Floyd, Flame finish, plus the cock stock and maple neck are sexy bonuses.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Hey Alex, on that note... I'm guessing that the NAMM display AW-7 has the mahogany wings instead of tha alder your actual prototype has am I correct? If so, do you have an issue with the mahogany one being darker and almost muddy sounding in comparison to the prototype??? I am still having a hard time trying to get mine EQ'd, and want to know if yours is the same way or if I just got one that happens to be the ultimate oddity of them all.

If you can let me know on that, I'd like to know your take on the alder vs mahogany. I may wind up sticking a set of Duncan Distortion 7's in mine, if not going the route of the Phase 1 EMTY Blackout 7's...

Thanks man!!!

I second this. And also, which do you honestly prefer?

Hey guys, actually the NAMM prototype is still Alder. They made two protos, one for me and one for NAMM, after I received the prototype I made the switch to change the wings to mahogany.

I havent had the chance to play a mahogany one yet but I still stand by my statement in that I felt like the prototype was a bit "lifeless" with the Alder. It still sounds amazing with the D-Activators but I felt like the guitar needed more thump and aggression and knew the mahogany would help bring that to the guitar. I hope to receive a mahogany version later on this year when ESP gets caught up on their orders.

@The Only Factor: What amp/cab are you using with my sig? Have you tried sticking an EQ in the effects loop and dialing out useless low end (20-80ish hz) and maybe some low mids (350ish hz)? Boosting the amp with a Tube screamer of some sort (I love the Maxon OD-808) should help roll off some of that muddy low end and bring out more attack too.

Apparently mine has been the best selling Whitechapel sig, and one of the best selling sigs overall this year for ESP! Very stoked and thankful for that.

Reaction score
Hey guys, actually the NAMM prototype is still Alder. They made two protos, one for me and one for NAMM, after I received the prototype I made the switch to change the wings to mahogany.

I havent had the chance to play a mahogany one yet but I still stand by my statement in that I felt like the prototype was a bit "lifeless" with the Alder. It still sounds amazing with the D-Activators but I felt like the guitar needed more thump and aggression and knew the mahogany would help bring that to the guitar. I hope to receive a mahogany version later on this year when ESP gets caught up on their orders. Apparently mine has been the best selling Whitechapel sig, and one of the best selling sigs overall this year for ESP! Very stoked and thankful for that.

Ah and interesting to hear about that... Most of us mere mortals would have assumed that only you would have gotten the Alder one, but the NAMM display model would have been the mahogany one. And yes, ESP must still be waiting on the next batch to come in because I haven't seen anyone else with them for sale yet anywhere.

And yes, By far it's been one of the hottest models period this year as far as new gear goes. And when it's going up against something like the Ibanez M8M Meshuggah 8-string for close to $10K, it's a clear win. Definitely an epic piece and perfect timing for it to come out too!!!

@The Only Factor: What amp/cab are you using with my sig? Have you tried sticking an EQ in the effects loop and dialing out useless low end (20-80ish hz) and maybe some low mids (350ish hz)? Boosting the amp with a Tube screamer of some sort (I love the Maxon OD-808) should help roll off some of that muddy low end and bring out more attack too.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Vetta head updated with the latest and most current programming/update for it so it matches the Vetta 2 head. As for a cab, I know it's a little on the cheaper and almost sub-par level but I"m using an new Ibanez ToneBlater 412 strait cab. (Been on a tight budget trying to get decent gear to be able to play and jam with other guys and be able to compete with a drum set yet still sound good...) Maybe after I am in the clear of new car payments, I'll look into a new, better cab - an Avatar 412 with Celestion K100's.

Currently, I am using a Tube Screamer in the Vetta head, before going into both the A and B amps I have set for the channel I use for it. Here's the full settings I'm using for my AW-7:

Effect routing:
guitar - wah - Screamer - split A&B
A side: Volume - Amp 1
B side: Volume - Amp 2

Tube Screamer settings to both A&B amps:
Drive: 4.75
Gain: 5
Bass: 3.5
Mid: 4.5
Treble: 10

Amp 1 details & settings:
Line 6 Lunatic amp,
Drive: 6
Bass: 4.5
Mid: 0
Treble: about 9
Presence: 7.5
Amp volume: 7
4x12 Hiway cab,
amp 1 (level) mix: 4

Amp 2 Details & Settings:
'03 Deity Lead
Drive: 10
Bass: 4.75
Mid: 0
Treble: 5
Presence: 5
Amp Volume: 7
Marshall 412 w/ T75's cab
Amp 2 (level) mix: 5

4 band EQ settings for each amp...
Amp 1:
Low Gain: -3
High Gain: 0
Band 1: 400Hz Frequency, 0.1 Q, -9dB gain
Band 2: 600Hz Frequency, 0.1 Q, -8dB gain

Amp 2:
Low Gain: -2
High Gain: +4
Band 1: 600Hz Frequency, 1.1 Q, -8dB gain
Band 2: 950Hz Frequency, 0.1 Q, -7db gain

Amp output: 4 Ohm mono to cab input at 4 Ohm Mono

Currently the way I have the amp set, it's a lot better than the way it was set for this guitar. With amp 1 on it's own it's the one that has a really sharp bass and treble response -really tight and defined. Amp 2 on it's own is really mid focused. Both in use together are really sharp, very rich and focused and tight. However, the issue I'm currently having now isn't so much with the low-end woof the thing has, it's now more of a noise issue. Not in terms of string or pickup noise, but muting noise. When I do quick stoppy stuff like Demanufacture, Shock or Self Bias Resistor, it don't get quiet right away like I normally get with the EMG's. I'm sure this is now in terms of the noise gate being set a little tighter to dial it in and be more responsive yet not choking at the same time.

I am looking at getting and running an external EQ for this amp, however the fund-age is not doable right now and probably not for a little while. A friend of mine turned me on to the Behriger Ultra-Curve DEQ2496 on his rackmount rig a few years back and what tremendous EQ capablities can be obtained from it. And especially since the FX loop on the Vetta is stereo, it'd be the ideal unit for really dialing in the tones I'm looking for. Maybe when I am ready to swing for the new cab I'll swing on the EQ also and all the cables I'd need to connect it to the amp (XLR ins and outs on the DEQ2496 to the 1/4" stereo to both female and male XLR Y-cables to actually connect the two together...). This is more than $1K I can not spend right now, but do into for the EQ, cables and cab in the semi-distant future.

But for now, the tone has gotten a lot better and I'm much more happy with it. Hell, I may have to go back and create a new channel for the EC407 based off this one for the AW-7 now because it's that much better!!!

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
gotta say, i;m not a fan of the pick guard..but really nice otherwise,

i'd still play the shit out of it haha

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
In further inquiry about this issue on these guitars, IIRC I thought Alex mentioned using the I Meg pots on his prototype... So it makes me wonder if he swapped the 500K pots out of the NAMM production model as well, or if he's running it with the 500K's in it... I know this would be a huge difference in tonality as a result...

I again am looking forward to Alex's reply on this, and if he's swapped the pots out on the production one and which he like the tone of better - the mahogany one or the alder one...

I haven't changed out the pots in mine. Both guitars have whatever 500k pots that were installed at the factory. I would assume they are Dimarzio pots.

Churchie777

Reaction score
Alex you have made me GAS for the first time for a LTD haha i will be ordering a AW-7 in the next month, just perfect elements for a 7 and great price!

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Spent some time playing a few AW-7's this weekend while Alex wasn't looking and man, I freaking love these things - Id choose em' over the NT-7's they have hands down. Definitely not helping the 7 string GAS :(

2mc7qdy.jpg

Reaction score
Spent some time playing a few AW-7's this weekend while Alex wasn't looking and man, I freaking love these things - Id choose em' over the NT-7's they have hands down. Definitely not helping the 7 string GAS :(

2mc7qdy.jpg

Now THIS would have made an awesome cover for the 2012 ESP catalog!

I was going to ask what that LTD on the end was, but it dawned on me that it's probably one of the SC607B's they probably still have. Almost had me thinking that there was a sexy new ESP LTD 7 that was giving me major GAS for a second there.

I haven't changed out the pots in mine. Both guitars have whatever 500k pots that were installed at the factory. I would assume they are Dimarzio pots.

Ah, okay. Thanks for that heads' up. I thought I saw that one of them had the 1 meg pots, but I could be mistaken.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Can you guys tell ESP to make Ben's double-cut EC into a 7-string signature? Good lord that thing would be fantastic to see on the market.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Can you guys tell ESP to make Ben's double-cut EC into a 7-string signature? Good lord that thing would be fantastic to see on the market.

ESP said "nuh uh" to that - too off the beaten path for a non-CS model.

Grack

Tr00 and Kvlt
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas on when this new batch of AWs will be shipping out?

Reaction score
ESP said "nuh uh" to that - too off the beaten path for a non-CS model.

Wow, now that's kinda funny. Not surprising but funny because look how off the beaten path all 3 of their publicly released sigs are, and how there's nothing even close to them. And what is close to it, is night and day in comparison... But I will give kudos to ESP for finally making some of these new 7's that are and have been long overdue.

Konstantine

Reaction score
Found my camera in my friends car so I could finally take some better pictures of the ZH. Also I got it setup for free at SA finally. Plays much much better now as the factory setup was lackluster, made a night and day difference. Still no buyers remorse after jamming on it for more than a week straight, this ones a keeper.

DSCN0073.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

Grack

Tr00 and Kvlt
Reaction score
ESP called to let me know my AW-7 was shipped to GearHounds yesterday. Might finally get it sometime next week.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Hey Alex, is a Japanese made version in the works? I will pick up the LTD version but a Japanese one would be a must have man!