New Friedman IR-D (Dirty Shirley) tube preamp pedal

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Just discovered this one and didn't see any threads about it. Looks like they're expanding the "IR" line after the IR-X.

index.php

index.php

index.php

A studio-ready tube preamp packed into a pedal.
The Friedman IR-D puts the signature harmonic richness of an all-tube preamp into a compact, pedalboard-friendly unit. Powered by two 12AX7 tubes, it delivers the responsiveness and complexity you'd expect from a Friedman design. With two independent channels equipped with boost, you can footswitch between four distinct gain stages—from pristine cleans to saturated distortion. Built-in IR cabinet simulation sends your tone direct to a PA or interface, complete with studio-quality mic'ing. The Friedman IR-D provides an intuitive control set without burying key parameters in complex menus. Just plug in, dial in your tone and unleash iconic Friedman sound anywhere your pedalboard goes.

Savor the Tone of Glowing 12AX7 Tubes​

While some preamp pedals use tubes merely to "warm up" their solid-state circuits, the Friedman IR-D is built around two genuine 12AX7 preamp tubes. Running at proper high voltage, these tubes infuse your tone with the touch-sensitivity, harmonic complexity and gain characteristics that define the Friedman sound. The IR-D reacts and responds like a real tube amp, not a simulation. You'll hear—and feel—the difference, from dynamic clean headroom to rich, reactive crunch.

Two Channels Become Four With Independent Boosts​

The Friedman IR-D equips each of its two independent channels with a dedicated boost circuit. Essentially, this gives you four distinct voices to craft your ideal gain staging—from pristine cleans to roaring overdrive. Each boost is highly tweakable via the Friedman Editor software. Access two channels at the stomp of your foot, while the extra boost kicks transform the Friedman IR-D into a versatile tone toolkit. The channels themselves are based on Friedman's famed Dirty Shirley circuits, dialing in those coveted British tones.

Onboard IRs Put World-Class Cab Tones at Your Feet​

Thanks to built-in IR cabinet simulation, the Friedman IR-D consistently delivers studio-quality mic'd up tones no matter where you plug in. It comes loaded with 13 of Dave Friedman's favorite IRs, from classic 4x12s to more exotic combos. Easily select an IR for each channel with the mini toggles. The onboard IRs can be bypassed entirely for use with your own IR loader. Whether recording direct or playing live, the IR-D equips your pedalboard with an arsenal of iconic Friedman cabinets.

Features​

• Two high-voltage 12AX7 preamp tubes for rich harmonic tone
  • Two independent channels with boost based on Dirty Shirley/Twin Sister circuit
  • Onboard DSP IR cabinet/power amp simulation for studio-quality tone
  • 13 Friedman Cabinet IRs included; load your own IRs via Friedman Editor software
stomp of your foot, while the extra boost kicks transform the Friedman IR-D into a versatile tone toolkit. The channels themselves are based on Friedman's famed Dirty Shirley circuits, dialing in those coveted British tones.

Onboard IRs Put World-Class Cab Tones at Your Feet​

Thanks to built-in IR cabinet simulation, the Friedman IR-D consistently delivers studio-quality mic'd up tones no matter where you plug in. It comes loaded with 13 of Dave Friedman's favorite IRs, from classic 4x12s to more exotic combos. Easily select an IR for each channel with the mini toggles. The onboard IRs can be bypassed entirely for use with your own IR loader. Whether recording direct or playing live, the IR-D equips your pedalboard with an arsenal of iconic Friedman cabinets.

Features​

• Two high-voltage 12AX7 preamp tubes for rich harmonic tone
  • Two independent channels with boost based on Dirty Shirley/Twin Sister circuit
  • Onboard DSP IR cabinet/power amp simulation for studio-quality tone
  • 13 Friedman Cabinet IRs included; load your own IRs via Friedman Editor software
  • Tubes: 2 x 12AX7 preamp tubes
  • Channels: Two independent identical channels + boost
  • MIDI programmable features: Channel select / Boost, IR select, Thump and Presence, Effects loop ON/OFF, Boost Lock
  • Power amp simulation with software editable Presence and Thump (per channel)
  • Low latency Impulse Response cabinet simulation (bypassable)
  • Three position CAB/IR select switch per channel (programmable via software)
  • 13 free Friedman IRs or load your own
  • Boost Volume and Gain controls (per channel)
  • Volume and Gain controls (per channel)
  • Full EQ consisting of Bass, Middle, Treble (per channel)
  • 2-way Bright switch (Per Channel)
  • 3-way Structure switch (Per Channel)
  • Three multi-function foot switches
  • Ultra-transparent series FX loop (bypassable)
  • TRS balanced output
  • Headphone output
  • MIDI 5 pin standard connector and USB MIDI
  • USB software editor - powered by SYNERGY
  • Limited 3-year Warranty
  • Universal 12V Power Supply Included
  • 6' USB2.0 A Male to B Male cable Included
  • Dimensions (Including Knobs): 5.5" (D) x 6.5" (W) x 2.3 (H)
  • Weight: 1.5 lb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep this was leaked about a month ago... IIRC it's supposed to be out later this month but don't recall when specifically. Dave confirmed it on Tone Talk right after GC leaked it.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Well damn it - there’s a good chance you’ll be seeing me in the next gear purchase thread in the near future.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’ll be interested in hearing this vs the X. Curious if they’re much different.

As soon as this was leaked people started speculating about a JEL variant. THAT will be the one I’ll buy.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll be interested in hearing this vs the X. Curious if they’re much different.

As soon as this was leaked people started speculating about a JEL variant. THAT will be the one I’ll buy.
Yeah, it took so long to arrive to Europe that they've released a new variant just when I bought the IR-X :lol:

If I were to judge based on their regular pedals, the Dirty Shirley is a lot fatter, and more vintage-esque sounding whereas the IR-X is a lot drier, thinner and agressive. The IR-X doesn't have a ton of gain unless you dime the built-in boost (which doesn't work like a pedal at all), so you still need a boost for metal. I'm not sure if the IR-D will handle metal (even with a boost). I'd love to, because I really liked what I heard, and if I need a separate boost anyway the line between the two blurs.

The good thing is that since the form factor is the same, if I ever want to swap them my pedalboard layout will not sufer. :steve:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Well, I sort of wanted a Dirty Shirley Deluxe or Twin Sister pedal. I guess this gets closer to the real thing versus a distortion pedal.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
First demos are up:

Looks like they're readily available in the US (at least they're a few of them already for sale on Reverb).

Last edited:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dammit Fryette needs to make the DRECT and the 2CP into one of these. I wonder if other BAD brands will get the “IR-X treatment”. Sorta like how they did a line of mini amps.

Imagine a VH4 version of one of these!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be cool if the Synergy DS module had the Bright and Structure switches.
I'm really pumped by this one. The third video I linked (which now went private, lol) showed settings with the gain dimed and the bright switch on and it sounded really, really good.

The main problem I have with the IR-X is that the boost is not filtered, so it adds a ton of low end and presence as you crank the gain up. That is a problem with an already scooped sounding circuit. Also, there's not enough gain on CH2 without the boost for a decent heavy tone, so you need an external boost pedal in most cases. If you use the boost channel for leads is kinda counter-intuitive since it is more scooped than CH2 unboosted.

If need a boost pedal either way, then I'd rather roll with a lower gain preamp. The Dirty Shirley circuit boosted can only get better, and the tight switch can help removing the mud. Now I need to see how they compare for pure clean tones, but I'll compare them myself as soon as the IR-D reaches Europe.

Last edited:

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thing sounds great so far. Gotta say though, seeing that they managed to get the Bright and Structure switches on this makes me wish they were able to cram the Voice switch on the IR-X.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thing sounds great so far. Gotta say though, seeing that they managed to get the Bright and Structure switches on this makes me wish they were able to cram the Voice switch on the IR-X.

Bright and Structure are preamp changes, IIRC voice changes the NFB which you don't really have since this doesn't have a power amp.

I guess in theory they could have added it the EQ that emulates the thump and presence in the software...

Shask

Reaction score
Dammit Fryette needs to make the DRECT and the 2CP into one of these. I wonder if other BAD brands will get the “IR-X treatment”. Sorta like how they did a line of mini amps.

Imagine a VH4 version of one of these!
It would be cool if they created versions of these for more Synergy modules, or even better, made a new Syn 3 in this format that would accept Syn modules.