New Polyphia Single - Playing God

• Thread starter ItWillDo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I listened to it and then had this one song stuck in my head all day. The one song was G.O.A.T. though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Can't really knock the widdley skills, but I can't stand the shitty piezo sounds enough to enjoy it.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Getting a neck tattoo sure is an interesting choice.

Any time I see shit like that all I can think of is what that person will look like when they're in their 70's with saggy skin.
Whenever I see old people with cool tattoos I think "Damn, that person did whatever they wanted in their life and that's fuckin' cool."

jaxadam

Reaction score
Whenever I see old people with cool tattoos I think "Damn, that person did whatever they wanted in their life and that's fuckin' cool."

When I was a kid, I went through a punk rock stage and would wear a mohawk and dye it all different colors. Well, one day I went and sat on a bench next to this old man waiting on the bus. He kept looking over at me and so I said "What's a matter old man, you never do anything wild when you were young?" And he looked back at me and said "Well, I once fucked a parrot, and I thought you might be my son!"

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's something that makes me unable to bear Tim Henson as an individual.
Don't hate him, but I find him annoying, maybe it's his emo vibe, dunno.
But these 4 guys are insanely good, all the respect on the musicianship and skills.

Yeah live and let live and all of that but he's pretty hard to take for me as well. It would probably help if I liked their music more.

I respect the production and the talent but I think the best way to describe their music is that it is not even one ounce more than the sum of its parts.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I went through a punk rock stage and would wear a mohawk and dye it all different colors. Well, one day I went and sat on a bench next to this old man waiting on the bus. He kept looking over at me and so I said "What's a matter old man, you never do anything wild when you were young?" And he looked back at me and said "Well, I once fucked a parrot, and I thought you might be my son!"
Weird, my dad told me the same joke when I was in middle school dying my hair a bunch of weird colors.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just find these guys wholly unpleasant. Even their promo pictures make me feel bad. Incredible talent, but please just keep it away from my eyes and ears.

Scott seems really chill and cool. He also writes some awesome licks and solos that are more melodic than TIm's IMO.

Tim has seemed like an arrogant prick in some of the interviews I've watched. I respect his talent and he's doing some crazy things with the guitar, but he has a "I'm better than you and know it" vibe.

I like Polyphia, but had to get used to their new Chon-esque sound since New Levels New Devils - much prefer Muse and Renaissance where it didn't seem like they were pegged into one particular sound. Now can they even write a song without using natural harmonics? I get they wanted to shed the djent/shred vibes from Inspire but now they're just as locked into another sound but on the other end of the spectrum.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Scott seems really chill and cool. He also writes some awesome licks and solos that are more melodic than TIm's IMO.

Tim has seemed like an arrogant prick in some of the interviews I've watched. I respect his talent and he's doing some crazy things with the guitar, but he has a "I'm better than you and know it" vibe.

I like Polyphia, but had to get used to their new Chon-esque sound since New Levels New Devils - much prefer Muse and Renaissance where it didn't seem like they were pegged into one particular sound. Now can they even write a song without using natural harmonics? I get they wanted to shed the djent/shred vibes from Inspire but now they're just as locked into another sound but on the other end of the spectrum.
I don't actually have an issue with Tim, but I 100% agree that Scott writes some sick stuff. He's criminally underrated compared to Tim.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite overall song I've heard from them so far because of the gutiar vibe. It's like they combined classical/Spanish, elevator music, trap beats etc super tight.

- I Imagine a scenario lIke he's wasted after a show and just walking in and out of mini marts at night and all the people and obstacles he encounters along the way. It ends as he gets in the elevator and goes back up to his hotel. He just went out for some more boxed wine cause it's all he could get in that city on tour. - Hey, it's what I saw in my head when I heard it. no offense meant.

- And the whistling.. - after about 5 times I truly felt like I was in a waiting room at a gynocoogist office my girlfirend would force me to go to with her. I don't even have a girfiend atm. No, it's wating in line at 3am at the mini mart to pay the guy and your half asleep and wasted. That's the vibe. Awesome! : )

I don't know a lot about these guys, and even though the guitars are obviously masterful, I really enjoy the bass most. Not sure if it's an electronic combination or not with real bass but it's nice to vibe with. I just vibe it and don't think about it. I think the bass is the best written part of the song because of it's gelling abilities.
- New respect for these guys on this one for using the technical in a more tasteful/less flashiy way and getting on with song structures and overall vibes. I read a thing Tim talking about that and it seems he delivered on that area. I notice he uses the hybrid picking techinique, which I do to, but he's 100x better at it and half my age. I can watch his hands now and see if I can get better. Pretty cool they (people like Tim and Steph from Deftones etc) do play throughs now. You can learn a lot by watching their technique. It used to be so hard to find a good shot of anyone good at playing a guitar to study them. This is great. HIs action must be really low.

davemeistro

Reaction score
Playthrough dropped, always fascinated by how tight & articulate they are off-record as well.
Idk man, at 1:53 - 1:54 you can hear that what the guitar is playing does not line up with what his hands are doing. At least I'm hearing a hammer-on/pull-off thing that I'm not seeing.

I have no doubt that the guy can play it well, but I'm assuming the take has been edited, and is probably not as inhumanly tight and articulate as what we're hearing. Bummer, I was looking forward to hearing what it sounds like without any editing at all.

Latest posts