New Scar Symmetry finally getting close.

• Thread starter Kyle Jordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Per's playing is and has always been amazing, but their two singers both still sound like karaoke versions of Christian to me.

Yeah for me they peaked with Holographic Universe, but still looking forward to this coming out.

Hopefully the third album doesn't take quite as long :lol:

Aewrik

Reaction score
Yeah for me they peaked with Holographic Universe, but still looking forward to this coming out.

For me it's Dark Matter Dimensions. The first time I heard it I was sweating (yes, really literally breaking out in a sweat) from being smashed against the wall of intense metal song after song. It's not as polished as the other albums but it just crushes everything for me. When I do max lifts at the gym I put that album on and disappear until the last chord. A bit cringy maybe, but to me it just fucks.

Neohumanity works at the gym too, and it definitely has the best mix to my ear. The first bass note on that album sucks you in from the get go, and then it's just pure delight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to listen on iTunes with the Beyer Dynamics. Cool song, but I think I like the reamped guitar tone on the last album better (Ola Englund work). This, glad this is finally on the horizon! Per is such an amazing player.
Ola produced the last Scar album?

unusual

EBMM Slave
Reaction score
Holographic Universe is still my favorite, but Christian's replacements grow on me with each album.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
One of the things that has jumped out to me the more I listen to Scortched Quadrant is the bass writing, playing, and mixing. Really enjoying the added depth and little flourishes.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
When the pre-chorus sections are catchier than the actual chorus it feels like a tease. Still like the song though. :yesway:

Gotta listen to that a few more times to get into what's actually happening, but on the first spin I thought that felt a bit too busy with both vocalists going at it at the same time with all the instruments also going full blast. Not that it sounded bad by any means but it's gonna take a few spins to the digest. My favorite part of the song so far is the thing that starts around 3:33.

Second spin: Yeah, that pre-chorus is pretty awesome, and now when I was "prepared" it didn't feel that busy either. On much of their material, I always thought they could handle it with just one vocalist, but now this definitely needs both the guys, which is definitely the way to go if they're gonna keep both vocalists...

All in all, the bar's set very high for the new album now, I'm glad I pre-ordered it :agreed:

Last edited:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Pretty good! It's been so long since they released music that everything sounds fresh. Glad to hear these guys releasing music again.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score

I thought the same think until I listened to Phase 1 enough times. It's been my favorite since 2014.

First impression of Phase 2: love how the bass is present in the mix.

Zer01

Reaction score
I listened to it on the way to work and I hate to say it but it was in one ear, out the other. Like one long song. The last song was a bit different but not what I’d call great. I do like the bass. I’ll have to listen with headphones to hear it better. Overall, needs more riffs, fewer blastbeats. I’m sure I’m in the minority here. Their post-Jonas stuff hasn’t really dazzled me.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
My first impression is - I like the general vibe but it feels like dynamics were last on the list of priorities. I can't disagree with it sounding sometimes like one long song, but at least it's one pretty decent long song. I gatta give it more time and a proper listen - I just had it on in the background while working, and it's perfectly good for that purpose.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Ooof... The growls are ok I guess, but I just can't get past the post-Christian clean vocals. The bar was very high, and the replacement is way too far from it.

I wish Per Nilsson released a solo album so I could bid this band farewell :lol:

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to Per describing why the album was so delayed on Coffee with Ola was pretty mind boggling. Imagine having your album ready and you push it back over a year because the person you wanted to draw the album art got depressed and it took you months to fire them to find someone else. I feel like album cover art is basically ignored at this point considering so many people listen to music on streaming services.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
My first impression is - I like the general vibe but it feels like dynamics were last on the list of priorities. I can't disagree with it sounding sometimes like one long song, but at least it's one pretty decent long song. I gatta give it more time and a proper listen - I just had it on in the background while working, and it's perfectly good for that purpose.
I don't know if that impression is due to production or similar tempos-sonic profiles in all songs, but yeah, at first listen it gets hard to distinguish tracks.

That being said, I wasn't sold on Phase 1 when it came out and it became my favorite SS album after a few listens. 🤷‍♂️

bassisace

Reaction score
Same feeling here. Since their last album more bands are in that death Jovi space. Obsidious put out a good album this year.