New Slipknot

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
The new album is solid. The only complaint I really have is there's some questionable tracks( Spiders, My Pain) and weird pacing/thematic choices. The 8bit opener/Death because of Death/My Pain really slow down the flow of the album. They could have put out a leaner album if they cut those tracks/interludes.
There are some really heavy standouts like Nero Forte, Orphan, A Liar's Funeral and Solway Firth. I fucking love the guitar tones on those tracks.
Critical Darling is pretty groovy, I think it would have been a better single than unsainted honestly. It feels like a track off Vol3.
I'm hyped to see them tomorrow in Chicago since they're more brutal live.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
The new album is solid. The only complaint I really have is there's some questionable tracks( Spiders, My Pain) and weird pacing/thematic choices. The 8bit opener/Death because of Death/My Pain really slow down the flow of the album. They could have put out a leaner album if they cut those tracks/interludes.
There are some really heavy standouts like Nero Forte, Orphan, A Liar's Funeral and Solway Firth. I fucking love the guitar tones on those tracks.
Critical Darling is pretty groovy, I think it would have been a better single than unsainted honestly. It feels like a track off Vol3.
I'm hyped to see them tomorrow in Chicago since they're more brutal live.

I really like Spiders. Refreshing after Red Flag felt pretty stock. Birth Of The Cruel is the one that slows things down early in the record, I have nothing against the song, but that's the one whose placement I find a little odd.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I really like Spiders. Refreshing after Red Flag felt pretty stock. Birth Of The Cruel is the one that slows things down early in the record, I have nothing against the song, but that's the one whose placement I find a little odd.
Yeah, Birth of the Cruel probably would have benefitted from being at the beginning of the album as a prelude to heavier tracks like Nero Forte. Spiders just feels like a filler track to me, same with My Pain.

protest

Reaction score
Spiders reminds me of weird Dillinger, so I love it. I agree on My Pain though. Overall I'm honestly shocked by how good this album is considering all the different elements they threw into it.

Reactions: fps

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I really like Spiders, but I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't really sound like slipknot. Unsainted is actually my favorite track from the album, but I genuinely like just about all of it. Like I said, my pain is the only one I don't love. I don't mind it, I don't hate it, I just don't care too much to listen more than once in a while. Super long, slow, and kind of too boring for a song so long.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
It’s odd seeing more praise in this thread than in the tool thread. Kinda the same situation going on, just minus 11 years.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I had to bite my tongue in the tool thread just because I had nothing nice to say and really didn't want to butt in shitting on music people liked in a thread dedicated to people who, generally, are fans.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
This is supposed to be the new sig;
66449921_156911232030657_8129442467432583665_n.jpg

Yup, apparently going to be MIM too, so it’ll be fairly affordable.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
It’s odd seeing more praise in this thread than in the tool thread. Kinda the same situation going on, just minus 11 years.
Slipknot sound like Slipknot. People like that. Tool sounds like Tool. People don't like that.

SSO is weird, man.

EDIT: I guess it all boils down to expectations, people expect Slipknot to sound the way they always have, and people either expect Tool to sound completely different and revolutionary, or more like they did 25 years ago, both of which are ridiculous expectations, but both of which get people riled up.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

The Tool album hasn't even been released yet, and their songs are long which means we're mainly getting rubbish comments from people who didn't even listen to the one released song a decent number of times.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
The Tool album hasn't even been released yet, and their songs are long which means we're mainly getting rubbish comments from people who didn't even listen to the one released song a decent number of times.

Have you listened to the Tool song? It's not super dense. I listened to it a couple more times, still think it's unbelievably boring.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I haven’t listened to either album. I’m not some virtuous POS, I just prefer waiting until everything is released in full, then listening as a full cohesive album. I just thought it was funny juxtaposition - one band that is nearly universally shit on by metal guitarists getting a largely thumbs up performance, and one of the most sought after music releases ever getting poo-pooed for the most part.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So, We Are Not Your Kind is pretty good. Probably my least favorite of the post-Iowa sound Some of it is meh, but "Spiders" and "A Liars Funeral" and reeaalllyyy good, and "Not Long For This World" may be among my favorite Slipknot songs ever.

What isn't expect this album to do is make me realize how I like each Slipknot album. I guess I came to the conclusion that All Hope Is Gone is my favorite? Then it's something like Vol 3, then Grey Chapter, then this, then Iowa and s/t are interchangable depending on the day (I know I've said it before, but I prefer the post-Iowa sound).

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I don't need to listen to a song more than once to know it bores the shit out of me. You shouldn't have to try to like a song. To demand people listen to something 50 times to digest it is silly and pretentious.

The new tool song is a snoozefest, just like every other thing tool has released. If that's your cup of tea, fine, but it's stupid to talk as if you're more enlightened because you like the music and others don't feel like sitting through, what is in their opinion, 10 minutes of shitty boring music more than once. I hate this fucking mentality that tool fans have that us who don't like it just haven't listened hard enough.

I hate Taylor Swift's music, I'm not gonna listen to "Bad Blood" fifty times to try and force myself to like it.

Lame tangent is lame... sorry not sorry.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't need to listen to a song more than once to know it bores the shit out of me. You shouldn't have to try to like a song. To demand people listen to something 50 times to digest it is silly and pretentious.

The new tool song is a snoozefest, just like every other thing tool has released. If that's your cup of tea, fine, but it's stupid to talk as if you're more enlightened because you like the music and others don't feel like sitting through, what is in their opinion, 10 minutes of shitty boring music more than once. I hate this fucking mentality that tool fans have that us who don't like it just haven't listened hard enough.

I hate Taylor Swift's music, I'm not gonna listen to "Bad Blood" fifty times to try and force myself to like it.

Lame tangent is lame... sorry not sorry.

This 100%. Also the “Man, you just need a few cones and a couple of tabs, then you’ll get how amazing it is” - if I need to be out of my mind on drugs to enjoy it, it’s probably shit.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
There's some good shit on this record, but as a whole i think it's at least 15 minutes too long. And Coreys voice just sounds absolutely wrecked when he's screaming.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I haven’t listened to either album. I’m not some virtuous POS, I just prefer waiting until everything is released in full, then listening as a full cohesive album. I just thought it was funny juxtaposition - one band that is nearly universally shit on by metal guitarists getting a largely thumbs up performance, and one of the most sought after music releases ever getting poo-pooed for the most part.

Are Slipknot's guitarists really so poorly thought of? I guess it doesn't matter, as ultimately for them to survive a band needs a fanbase beyond guitarists, however that's interesting, I've always thought they were a badass combo, lots of presence, powerful surprisingly grimy old school tones, great note choices.

I Voyager

Reaction score
OK, two listens. If i have a production complaint it's the guitars sound a bit neutered. All in the favour of balance I'm sure, but I like a guitar tone to sear me a little.
This. But I think that's the case on a lot of what Greg Fidelman touches. World Painted Blood...:barf:

That being said this is probably their best record since Vol 3. Plenty of stuff I like on the last 2 but this works better as a complete album than both (though I could do without some of the weird filler tracks).

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Are Slipknot's guitarists really so poorly thought of? I guess it doesn't matter, as ultimately for them to survive a band needs a fanbase beyond guitarists, however that's interesting, I've always thought they were a badass combo, lots of presence, powerful surprisingly grimy old school tones, great note choices.
They were thought of as stock Nu metal guitarists back before they did solos, back in the day lots of people didn't realize how skilled they were. That changed with Vol 3 when they started shredding, but I think it was around AHIG when they started getting actual cred as great players. I mean, that rhythm work on AHIG is tight af.

Just posting this video again because of how cool it is:

It sounds really deceptively simple, but nailing it as tight as he does is really hard.

Last edited: