New Slipknot

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I loved The Gray Chapter but this album sounds like something a band would write to get out of a record contract to me. Straight up just not enjoying this one. It’s like Corey thought “the fans will be angry if I don’t scream a little so I’ll just put a little bit in there. Blegh.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Nero Forte is the track to me so far that sounds the most Iowa-ish. So far I got to red flag, I'll listen to the rest after work.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I gave it several spins already, including at the gym, and it's a solid album to me. I'm like many who were trapped in the hope they'd return to the Iowa form, which just won't ever be repeated, but this sits with me pretty well. All of their records have stuff I enjoy and stuff I don't so much, but Iowa still stands king to the rest. So, I did myself a favor and downloaded the Iowa deluxe version for the live tracks from one of their best recorded concerts, IMO. Listened to that stuff again, then went back to the new record. Despite the obvious differences and time between them, I feel like the new record's songs are more in line (the heavier moments if anything) with Iowa and S/T, and the in between weirdness and softer melodic tracks borrow some from their other 3 records in between. What I've concluded is this record is their most guitar driven since 2001, and I mean throughout. The bass and drums hold tracks together, and the synths and vocals provide the melodic touches. But overall most of the tracks are gear shifted by Mick and Jim, focusing on rhythm riffs than wild leads, melodic passages, and shred. To me, it helps the atmosphere, anger, and pacing, which I'm liking. Now compared to Iowa, the riffs aren't as menacing and mean, but they are heavy and prevalent to each song. The few tracks I like and revisit from their other records are the stronger rhythm guitar driven material. I think that's where they are at their best as a band. Jim and Mick can play great leads, but I think it softens their vibe overall at times. I like them better as a pair of V-twins rolling alongside each other down a highway.

This turned out to be a pretty good A/B comparison, and I'm enjoying the album.

lewis

Reaction score
Vocals havent aged well tbh. There is some guys now laying down some unreal vocals that not only demonstrate unreal technique but also envoke emtion.

This kind of sound (i.e raw booze fuelled shouting) is too old school sounding now. His vocals just come across really mediocre these days to me. The mix on the songs is cool except i dont like the vocal mixing.

Best overall album mix/sound they got imo was All hope Is gone. The mix and production on that is peak Slipknot. (Musically their older albums are better)

I checked out 2 songs and the 2 singles or whatever and i dislike this new album so far.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Vocals havent aged well tbh. There is some guys now laying down some unreal vocals that not only demonstrate unreal technique but also envoke emtion.

This kind of sound (i.e raw booze fuelled shouting) is too old school sounding now. His vocals just come across really mediocre these days to me. The mix on the songs is cool except i dont like the vocal mixing.

Nah, he sounds like a real human being with real feelings, that's definitely a good thing and part of why Slipknot stand out.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Reaction score

Best overall album mix/sound they got imo was All hope Is gone. The mix and production on that is peak Slipknot. (Musically their older albums are better)

I checked out 2 songs and the 2 singles or whatever and i dislike this new album so far.

I agree on the vocals, maybe it's an age thing, or perhaps such large gaps between active touring with Slipknot? I've been listening to Iowa a lot recently and holy fuck are his vocals brutal on there, throat-tearingly so.

Agreed on the production too. I one day want to get a drum sound as sick as AHIG.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
OK, two listens. If i have a production complaint it's the guitars sound a bit neutered. All in the favour of balance I'm sure, but I like a guitar tone to sear me a little.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
10 songs in, last one I heard was “Spiders.” Really enjoying it so far.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Just learned that every pair of tickets to the Knotfest roadshow gets a free digital copy of the album (always killer seeing them live). That’s a really cool thing to do for the fans. Didn’t know about this until I got an email late last night about it.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
This is supposed to be the new sig;
66449921_156911232030657_8129442467432583665_n.jpg

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Just learned that every pair of tickets to the Knotfest roadshow gets a free digital copy of the album (always killer seeing them live). That’s a really cool thing to do for the fans. Didn’t know about this until I got an email late last night about it.
Supposedly they sent out an email, but I never got one? Where did you buy your ticket? It's not a huge deal either way, mp3 album is like 10 bucks lol.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Actually my wife bought the tickets for us :lol: she got the download email from ticketmaster (that’s where she bought the tickets, not sure where you got your tix, but it should be from ticketmaster)
Ah I didn't, Woodlands show venue uses Livenation :/ That must be why. Oh well, nothing lost, nothing gained.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Ah I didn't, Woodlands show venue uses Livenation :/ That must be why. Oh well, nothing lost, nothing gained.

OOF
Sorry to hear. I suppose it’s understandable though. If they have an album away per of tickets they’d make no money off the record. It was a surprise that it came with a free download after all. Neither of us had any idea. I recommend the album though if you haven’t grabbed it already. IMO, a good number of the tracks are filler but some are really good.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Sounds even better out loud than in headphones, this is a pretty stellar release. The only letdown is Red Flag, which sounds like a B-side and is missing a chorus.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'd also add that Orphan is stellar, my wife really likes this record too, and she noted the way it builds and builds in darkness and anger throughout.