New Slipknot

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yeah, I recall people complaining that he would tune down his floor toms to the same frequency as the kicks to make it sound faster :lol: I just went wtf, that doesn't make any sense...

I always thought their rhythm guitars sounded a bit sloppy though (but now when I listen to All Hope Is Gone I don't notice it anymore, I used to think Gematria sounded sloppy right of the bat...), up to this latest album anyway which is just tight throughout (I didn't really listen .5). I know they're good guitarists, so I just assumed they got a little lazy in the studio.

I really like that the guitars sound like people playing guitars. Funny thing with Metallica records, those old Pantera records as well, there is a raw quality to the best recordings where the talent of the players really shines through. But if you have a listen to Far Beyond Driven, actually there's some pretty ropey stuff in there at points! It just works cos the vibe of the people comes through hard. I only lump these three together because they're legendary, but Morbid Angel, too, a lotta guitar heroes, it's the human quality we really appreciate. On the new one, there's a bit where the rhythm guitar is solo'd and the sheer aggression of the playing is sick.

I believe they recorded the new tracks live in the studio, as a core anyway, and often preferred the non-click takes. Perhaps the performance is what they were going for. That's what the band says.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
OK I've listened to new Slipknot several times now. Each time, Solway Firth has left me absolutely breathless. The lyrics on this record are fantastic, the vocals on this song are just from some other place entirely. Best rock/metal song of the year, for me, from the ones I've heard.

I completely agree. That last verse...man, so freaking awesome. Best song on the album hands down, and closest to "Iowa" slipknot.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
OK I've listened to new Slipknot several times now. Each time, Solway Firth has left me absolutely breathless. The lyrics on this record are fantastic, the vocals on this song are just from some other place entirely. Best rock/metal song of the year, for me, from the ones I've heard.

This album sits behind IOWA for me. There is just something about it that has grabbed me. Songs like Solway Firth, Orphan, Nero Forte, Critical Darling and maybe my favorite track A Liar's Funeral just really do it for me. The vocals are intense and if you really listen to them, they are deep. Most bands have that one album that is kinda untouchable and Iowa is that for Slipknot but this album is just really fucking good and easily goes above AHIP and Vol.3 for me. I'm a fan of .5 but there are a few tracks I can easily skip, and that's not happening on this one so far, maybe My Pain if I had to pick one.

protest

Reaction score
This album sits behind IOWA for me. There is just something about it that has grabbed me. Songs like Solway Firth, Orphan, Nero Forte, Critical Darling and maybe my favorite track A Liar's Funeral just really do it for me. The vocals are intense and if you really listen to them, they are deep. Most bands have that one album that is kinda untouchable and Iowa is that for Slipknot but this album is just really fucking good and easily goes above AHIP and Vol.3 for me. I'm a fan of .5 but there are a few tracks I can easily skip, and that's not happening on this one so far, maybe My Pain if I had to pick one.

To me this sounds like it was recorded after Iowa. If you played Vol. 3 and then this, and asked me which one came out in 2004 I'd say this album. You can hear the vibe of the Self Titled and Iowa in almost every one of the songs, which I think is why it's grabbing people that like those albums more than the post Iowa stuff.

BusinessMan

Reaction score

Solway Firth is by far my favorite song on the new record. Followed by birth of the cruel; mainly because it sounds a lot like something Alice In Chains would have done on (black gives way to blue, at least the verses). Nero forte, orphan, critical darling, liars funeral are all pretty solid.

I also agree that there is A LOT of filler material pushing it to just over an hour long, which is just filler for the sake of being filler. If they cut out some of the filler the record would’ve been far better off IMO.

SeaBeast

Reaction score
Absolutely loving the new record. The best moment for me has got to be Nero Forte into Critical Darling. Corey's flow is on point, and I think this is probably his best work since Iowa, or at least on par with Vol. 3. Instrumentally it pulls you in and hits you in the face. I don't have much negative to say except I agree that the interludes are a bit necessary.

Best song has gotta be Critical Darling.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Solway Firth is by far my favorite song on the new record. Followed by birth of the cruel; mainly because it sounds a lot like something Alice In Chains would have done on (black gives way to blue, at least the verses). Nero forte, orphan, critical darling, liars funeral are all pretty solid.

I also agree that there is A LOT of filler material pushing it to just over an hour long, which is just filler for the sake of being filler. If they cut out some of the filler the record would’ve been far better off IMO.

Yeah Birth has really grown on me, anything Chains-y and I'm down. I remain really disappointed in Red Flag, it comes at a key point in the track listing, and they made a big deal of only picking songs that were right for the total experience. It's not a good track!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Yeah Birth has really grown on me, anything Chains-y and I'm down. I remain really disappointed in Red Flag, it comes at a key point in the track listing, and they made a big deal of only picking songs that were right for the total experience. It's not a good track!

Birth of the Cruel is my second favorite track, right after Solway Firth. I don't get the Red Flag hate though...I like it better than Nero Forte, that's for sure. Nero Forte is good...until that chorus hits. Totally ruins it for me.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score

I don't think Red Flag is a bad track, but it is kind of derivative of the Slipknot sound. Like, paint by numbers Slipknot. I swear I've heard those riffs/drum beats a hundred times in the past from Slipknot. I don't skip it, but it adds nothing new or exciting.

Reactions: fps

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I kinda think a lot of it sounds between the first one and Iowa. All the scratching and samples and weird stuff from the first one, almost the aggression of Iowa.

BusinessMan

Reaction score

Red flag is alright. I’d prefer it over the interludes that’s for sure.

And ya the interludes may not be super long but I feel like they’re just kind of unnecessary and are just the equivalent of bloatware on a new computer. Like “hey our new album is 14 tracks long but 4-5 of them are just there and hold no substance.”

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Red flag is alright. I’d prefer it over the interludes that’s for sure.

And ya the interludes may not be super long but I feel like they’re just kind of unnecessary and are just the equivalent of bloatware on a new computer. Like “hey our new album is 14 tracks long but 4-5 of them are just there and hold no substance.”

It shoulda been 7 tracks and 80 minutes. That's how you do an album.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
this entirely makes sense as to why I consider Slipknot a bit of a guilty pleasure as a metal head.

I totally relate to this - I always thought Slipknot were just a quite generic metal band that got big because of their masks. But then I gave them a proper chance and really really like this new album. I always liked Corey's vocals for some reson though.

jwoods986

Reaction score

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Well, I've had some time to listen and digest and I just can't see any upsides to this album, I think it's a load of crap. Boring, bland Slipknot by numbers. Sure, Mick got hopped up on substances and stabbed his hillbilly brother and Shawn's daughter died, but the aggression just feels so phoned-in. The album is too long and even the "best" songs don't match the level of the worst songs on Iowa or S/T.

I can't blame them for dropping off in quality, no band in metal that I can think of has consistently delivered, they all tail off eventually. The difference with Slipknot I suppose is that they dropped off hard about a quarter of the way through their career and they've been carrying on as zombie Slipknot ever since.

Some of the discussion in this thread does make me look back at Nu Metal and wonder if we knew how good we had it at the time, there were a lot of absolute bangers back in that era. The riffs and song structures were simplistic but I can't help that the resultant pendulum swing towards techy music in the decade that followed really set us up for some boring music and sterile production techniques.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I believe it's "sandblasted" to get that way. Sweetwater sells some Strats like that.

Edit - I guess a Tele now also https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...d-telecaster-sweetwater-exclusive-daphne-blue

He used that Jazzmaster in the lessons for .5 songs, and many people asked if it would become a production model. But apparently, they used some ultra rare wood for his and wouldn't be able to mass produce it.
They didn't use any rare wood, it's just a piece of ash :lol: That's some bullshit they said because they wanted to keep it limited and drive up demand for them or because they think it's too much work to do regularly.
sandblasting and ceruse are just different methods to achieve basically the same aesthetics. Both involve keeping the grain open and then backfilling it.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Well, I've had some time to listen and digest and I just can't see any upsides to this album, I think it's a load of crap. Boring, bland Slipknot by numbers. Sure, Mick got hopped up on substances and stabbed his hillbilly brother and Shawn's daughter died, but the aggression just feels so phoned-in. The album is too long and even the "best" songs don't match the level of the worst songs on Iowa or S/T.

I can't blame them for dropping off in quality, no band in metal that I can think of has consistently delivered, they all tail off eventually. The difference with Slipknot I suppose is that they dropped off hard about a quarter of the way through their career and they've been carrying on as zombie Slipknot ever since.

Some of the discussion in this thread does make me look back at Nu Metal and wonder if we knew how good we had it at the time, there were a lot of absolute bangers back in that era. The riffs and song structures were simplistic but I can't help that the resultant pendulum swing towards techy music in the decade that followed really set us up for some boring music and sterile production techniques.

I mean, they were a bunch of doped up angsty kids (I'm old; early-mid twenties are kids to me, shut up, get off my lawn) back in the day, so the aggression was way more... real? Authentic? I dunno the word, but I know it felt way more rough in part because Corey was going balls out and destroying his voice in the st/iowa era. They've grown up, and the music is clearly different now. I don't mind that, but what I do long for is the old production. The drums on self titled are so fucking brutal and raw sounding. Everything past Iowa was super heavily produced, and it sounded like shit up until .5, imo. Way too digital... the drums were no longer raw, but super plastic, clicky, and artificial sounding. .5, and this new album are a step up, imo, but it still stinks of modern production and I kinda hate it. I think if they went back to older recording methods, vol 3 and onwards would sound HEAPS better.

That's not even a slipknot problem though. Most modern tunes just sound so absolutely digital. In some rare cases it works (not a huge fan, but I think it fits Periphery.) Going back to tool, it's even in that song. Everything sounds so friggin sterile. There's just a lack of room or something.

The thing I miss most about the music from the nineties is that it was the final instance of when recorded music sounded "real." I like a lot of modern music, but can't help but feel it would sound better recorded the old fashioned way.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
You can get away with a lot sloppier recordings if your production isn't as clear. Sometimes that means more energy, and sometimes it means you end up burying elements to cover up poor performances. 100% agree most stuff after self-titled feels like pretend angst.