NGD - Carvin DC727 "Lagoon Burst" 56k Begone!

• Thread starter RagtimeDandy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
That turned out great :yesway:

It's cool that Carvin is willing to do stuff like this.

Thanks! The only thing was I had to void the ten day return policy and had to spend an extra $100 for the "picture match".

Seriously, anyone who would be interested in this finish send Carvin an email. There's a bunch of people on the Carvin forum who are interested in getting it a standard option, if enough people ask they will actually listen which would be pretty cool. I'd end up getting it again as an 8 string :lol:

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Huh, can't believe nobody posted that Carvin DID make this a standard color now.

Love the sun shots!!! Still say ya gotta paint the pick ups white with that maple board. Or get some Birdseye covers made :metal:

Gawd those wiggle frets on the Mayo and other guitars must be a fret change nightmare lol. I sure do appreciate what they do though.

Happy New Guitar day! 100% Awesome :bowdown:

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Very very very nice :) I would have personally gotten black hardware and some different specs on the bridge/headstock/fretboard.... but regardless that is pretty gorgeous.

HNGD! Carvin's are always wonderful guitars :)

Crabface

Reaction score
I love you man... No homo.
I ordered a custom mayones just yesterday with very similar specs and now I get to see it already! :lol:
Great minds think alike, huh?

The only major differences that between our two orders are a Swamp Ash body, black hardware and no inlays. And of course the pickups - but that goes without saying.

I love how well the colour matches the maple fretboard. It was a risk but, seeing it now, I'm damn please that I took it.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Huh, can't believe nobody posted that Carvin DID make this a standard color now.

Just looked at their site, where are you seeing this as a standard color exactly? I'm thinking you're likely confusing Deep Aqua Burst with this, which are two different finishes entirely.

This is what their site says as of the time of this post:

Bookmatched 4A Quilted Maple Top Finishes

You must select one of the finishes below. Move your mouse over each button to see a color sample.

QTC - Clear Quilt Maple

QEL - Teal Quilt

QSA - Antique Brown Stain Quilt

QSK - Black Stain Quilt

QSR - Ruby Red Stain Quilt

QSS - Umber Stain - Sunset Burst Quilt

QSU - Burnt Umber Stain Quilt

QTB - Sapphire Blue Quilt

QTD - Classic Sunburst Quilt

QTE - Greenburst Quilt

QTG - Emerald Green Quilt

QTL - Blueburst Quilt

QTR - Crimson Red Quilt

QTS - Cherry Sunburst Quilt

QTT - Tobacco Sunburst Quilt

QTU - Sunset Burst Quilt

QTY - Vintage Yellow Quilt

QDBC - Deep Black Cherry Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDD - Deep Dragonburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDH - Deep Honeyburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDM - Deep Moss Green Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDO - Deep Orangeburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDP - Deep Purple Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDQ - Deep Aqua Burst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDT - Deep Tiger Eye Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDU - Deep Umber Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDV - Deep Vintage Burst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDW - Deep Wine Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

Burst Edges
Burst edges cannot be combined with burst colors, such as Blueburst, Greenburst or Dragonburst. Burst edges are not available on white (W) or white white (WW) finishes.

BST - Blackburst Edges

CST - Cherryburst Edges

SST - Sunsetburst Edges

And/or one of the Finishes Options below:

Flame and Quilt Maple Top Upgrade

DTS finish included with Deep Dragonburst, Deep Honeyburst, Deep Orangeburst, Deep Vintageburst, Deep Tiger Eye, Deep Purple, Deep Moss Green, and Deep Wine.

DTS - Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process

My guess is that you saw "Aquaburst" and thought it was the same thing, which it isn't. Aquaburst is dark blue faded to turquoise blue in the center:

CT7-4.jpg

CT7-5.jpg

Not the same as this hot buttered sex of a finish (which could/should be called "Island Burst" or "Caribbean Burst" like it is with many other builders that offer a similar finish):

20130412141721.jpg

I'm thinking no one posted that this was a standard color because it is NOT a standard color as of right now. :lol:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Just looked at their site, where are you seeing this as a standard color exactly? I'm thinking you're likely confusing Deep Aqua Burst with this, which are two different finishes entirely.

This is what their site says as of the time of this post:

Bookmatched 4A Quilted Maple Top Finishes

You must select one of the finishes below. Move your mouse over each button to see a color sample.

QTC - Clear Quilt Maple

QEL - Teal Quilt

QSA - Antique Brown Stain Quilt

QSK - Black Stain Quilt

QSR - Ruby Red Stain Quilt

QSS - Umber Stain - Sunset Burst Quilt

QSU - Burnt Umber Stain Quilt

QTB - Sapphire Blue Quilt

QTD - Classic Sunburst Quilt

QTE - Greenburst Quilt

QTG - Emerald Green Quilt

QTL - Blueburst Quilt

QTR - Crimson Red Quilt

QTS - Cherry Sunburst Quilt

QTT - Tobacco Sunburst Quilt

QTU - Sunset Burst Quilt

QTY - Vintage Yellow Quilt

QDBC - Deep Black Cherry Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDD - Deep Dragonburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDH - Deep Honeyburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDM - Deep Moss Green Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDO - Deep Orangeburst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDP - Deep Purple Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDQ - Deep Aqua Burst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDT - Deep Tiger Eye Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDU - Deep Umber Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDV - Deep Vintage Burst Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

QDW - Deep Wine Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)

Burst Edges
Burst edges cannot be combined with burst colors, such as Blueburst, Greenburst or Dragonburst. Burst edges are not available on white (W) or white white (WW) finishes.

BST - Blackburst Edges

CST - Cherryburst Edges

SST - Sunsetburst Edges

And/or one of the Finishes Options below:

Flame and Quilt Maple Top Upgrade

DTS finish included with Deep Dragonburst, Deep Honeyburst, Deep Orangeburst, Deep Vintageburst, Deep Tiger Eye, Deep Purple, Deep Moss Green, and Deep Wine.

DTS - Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process

My guess is that you saw "Aquaburst" and thought it was the same thing, which it isn't. Aquaburst is dark blue faded to turquoise blue in the center:

CT7-4.jpg

CT7-5.jpg

Not the same as this hot buttered sex of a finish (which could/should be called "Island Burst" or "Caribbean Burst" like it is with many other builders that offer a similar finish):

20130412141721.jpg

I'm thinking no one posted that this was a standard color because it is NOT a standard color as of right now. :lol:

Yes regarding this, there is a difference between my finish and the now standard Aqua Burst. Mine falls under what has been said as Caribbean burst, thought I find "Lagoon Burst" more accurate. It basically further refines Aquaburst, continuing the fade until natural wood is reached

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shit man, that is phenomenal. I was toying with the idea of having a go at a CT7, but seeing if Carvin would do this finish. Such a great looking piece dude, congrats!

Tereon

Reaction score
Holy mother of bulb, this is gorgeous:eek:
The quilt is just unreal, I can´t get over how 3D it looks and the finish may be the best thing ever, period. Lagoon Burst describes it perfectly.
It´s unbelievable how well that turned out, really good move from carvins side, and 100 extra bucks and restriction of the return policy is definitely reasonable.
Also, your POD Farm tone is awesome, which settings do you use?

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Looks incredible, and being a Carvin will play amazing too, congratulations!

Cremated

Reaction score
Gorgeous guitar man. I love those Mayones' bursts. Especially this one and the "Lava Burst" or whatever. Carvin really know how to finish a guitar. Looks as good as the original.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful finish! Congrats on a sweet one of a kind axe!:hbang:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Is it possible for a stain to change color based on temperature? Because the guitar came to me cold as ice and the center looked gray/ice blue, and it's obviously warmed up by now. Here's what it looks like as of yesterday. I swear the center opened up in the increase of temperature, allowing the stain/paint to sink deeper into the wood, revealing the natural wood.

11929_20130422_235445_1.jpg