NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LTigh

Banned
Reaction score
What was wrong with the first lot of Zach Myers, I'm not sure if mine is from the earlier batches or not. I haven't noticed any issues, but would be worth looking for anything specific if it was mentioned...

From what I understand and remember during my PRS fanboy days, there were a number of cosmetic issues with the first batch-- well, maybe not all of them, but enough that folks on the PRS forums were posting about it and getting into flame wars over it-- apparently there were sand-throughs on the finish and cracks and other such things-- one person wound up going through the return-and-replace merry-go-round with Sweetwater, since they kept sending him Zachs with sub-par finishing.

Haven't heard anything regarding the functionality of the guitar, though. I think most people were a little miffed that they were getting factory-second tier guitars at new guitar prices.

Last I checked, though, things seemed to straighten out, so maybe the meh-tier PRSi I've tested during that period WERE because of the general crappiness of Colorado.

(Not that there's anything wrong with factory seconds, I love my factory second Schecter, but I got mine from a pretty reputable authorized dealer.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZERO1

Reaction score
Sooo I wasn't sure where to put this I was thinking of making a separate thread but where are wash burn guitars made? WMI as well? If thats the case take a look at this fellas. Washburn PX-SOLAR160C Electric Guitar . That is the specs of the guitar from the site. Here is the specs for the same guitar on Samash. Washburn Parallaxe PX-SOLAR160C Ola Englund Signature Electric Guitar | SamAsh .Was interested in buying the guitar. So I looked up the specs and found them different on one of the few sites that plan to carry it.

stevexc

Reaction score
Sooo I wasn't sure where to put this I was thinking of making a separate thread but where are wash burn guitars made? WMI as well? If thats the case take a look at this fellas. Washburn PX-SOLAR160C Electric Guitar . That is the specs of the guitar from the site. Here is the specs for the same guitar on Samash. Washburn Parallaxe PX-SOLAR160C Ola Englund Signature Electric Guitar | SamAsh .Was interested in buying the guitar. So I looked up the specs and found them different on one of the few sites that plan to carry it.

I'd say that's just a case of Sam Ash not updating their product description. The Solar (guitar)'s been "available" (or advertised as such...) for a while, but the Solar pickups are new, and it's only as of recently that the Solar came stock with Solars.

Besides, it's made in Indonesia, not Korea - I want to say either Washburn has their own Indo factory or it's a Cort factory. Either way, given Washburn's track record with distributing the Solars, you probably won't end up receiving the guitar for a long, long while.

ZERO1

Reaction score
I'd say that's just a case of Sam Ash not updating their product description. The Solar (guitar)'s been "available" (or advertised as such...) for a while, but the Solar pickups are new, and it's only as of recently that the Solar came stock with Solars.

Besides, it's made in Indonesia, not Korea - I want to say either Washburn has their own Indo factory or it's a Cort factory. Either way, given Washburn's track record with distributing the Solars, you probably won't end up receiving the guitar for a long, long while.
Thanks I appreciate the answer since I wasn't sure. Yeah I heard about those issues with washburn. Do you know the quality of the indo made guitars?

A-Branger

Reaction score
Either way, given Washburn's track record with distributing the Solars, you probably won't end up receiving the guitar for a long, long while.

they closed down the previous factory they were using (not sure the history or the why) but thats the reason they couldnt meet demand, as there wasnt any production of guitars being made. They had to source new factories. They found out 6 different ones to compete against each other for the job, build 6 guitars each, test it out, pick the winning one, arrange meetings, productions, ect ect ect. It That takes time. They are now in a new place producing the new gear since towards the end of last year, so give them time before keep bashing them for a bad year.

For specs I would trust more their site, or go to Ola's facebook page/youtube

The only difference in specs of Sam Ash and WAshburn site is that in the Sam Ash it says "Ducan Designed Humbuckers", instead of "Duncan Solar Humbuckers". Theres no difernce, both are saying the same, Sam Ash just didnt include the specific name for them. Pickus are SD made for these guitars only or "designed"

ZERO1

Reaction score
they closed down the previous factory they were using (not sure the history or the why) but thats the reason they couldnt meet demand, as there wasnt any production of guitars being made. They had to source new factories. They found out 6 different ones to compete against each other for the job, build 6 guitars each, test it out, pick the winning one, arrange meetings, productions, ect ect ect. It That takes time. They are now in a new place producing the new gear since towards the end of last year, so give them time before keep bashing them for a bad year.

For specs I would trust more their site, or go to Ola's facebook page/youtube

The only difference in specs of Sam Ash and WAshburn site is that in the Sam Ash it says "Ducan Designed Humbuckers", instead of "Duncan Solar Humbuckers". Theres no difernce, both are saying the same, Sam Ash just didnt include the specific name for them. Pickus are SD made for these guitars only or "designed"
Thanks for the input. Have you played these before? I am wondering of the quality. might pick one up...

A-Branger

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Have you played these before? I am wondering of the quality. might pick one up...

sadly no. Washburn it always been one of those "unicorn" brands who I never get to see one live in a store lol, unless its a 200$ entry level strat copy

sadly the popular stores here in Aust and the big chains only carry Gibson/Fender stuff, with a small wall dedicated to couple of Ibanez/other brands.

Lucky my local store has a good selection of LTD and Ibanez, and of course Fender/Gresth with a couple of Sterlings.

Your info says you are in California. You must have a store who stocks them somewhere close by.

ZERO1

Reaction score
sadly no. Washburn it always been one of those "unicorn" brands who I never get to see one live in a store lol, unless its a 200$ entry level strat copy

sadly the popular stores here in Aust and the big chains only carry Gibson/Fender stuff, with a small wall dedicated to couple of Ibanez/other brands.

Lucky my local store has a good selection of LTD and Ibanez, and of course Fender/Gresth with a couple of Sterlings.

Your info says you are in California. You must have a store who stocks them somewhere close by.
You would think so. Most of the guitars store around my area sell more traditional guitars fender, gibson. There is one store that sells like esp's and the such. They use to sell deans, but sadly no washburns. The closest is about a 45 minute drive away unfortunately. That is a guitar center and who know what they are carrying at the moment. Stuff always seems to change on the daily. 8/

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
You would think so. Most of the guitars store around my area sell more traditional guitars fender, gibson. There is one store that sells like esp's and the such. They use to sell deans, but sadly no washburns. The closest is about a 45 minute drive away unfortunately. That is a guitar center and who know what they are carrying at the moment. Stuff always seems to change on the daily. 8/

You can check and see what they have in stock in each store via their website. It's updated every night after the store closes.

Vrollin

Reaction score
From what I understand and remember during my PRS fanboy days, there were a number of cosmetic issues with the first batch-- well, maybe not all of them, but enough that folks on the PRS forums were posting about it and getting into flame wars over it-- apparently there were sand-throughs on the finish and cracks and other such things-- one person wound up going through the return-and-replace merry-go-round with Sweetwater, since they kept sending him Zachs with sub-par finishing.

Haven't heard anything regarding the functionality of the guitar, though. I think most people were a little miffed that they were getting factory-second tier guitars at new guitar prices.

Last I checked, though, things seemed to straighten out, so maybe the meh-tier PRSi I've tested during that period WERE because of the general crappiness of Colorado.

(Not that there's anything wrong with factory seconds, I love my factory second Schecter, but I got mine from a pretty reputable authorized dealer.)

Thankfully I missed out on all that then! My SE245 is still one of the best finished guitars I have ever owned, I picked that up new in 2014...

DarthV

Reaction score
So now that we know they are using budget oriented parts, has the price on the ghost fret gone down any? Having a touch of GAS for one, but with all the substitutions I have a feeling I won't be willing to pay that much.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
So now that we know they are using budget oriented parts, has the price on the ghost fret gone down any? Having a touch of GAS for one, but with all the substitutions I have a feeling I won't be willing to pay that much.

Afraid not. Over at the Rob Chapman forum, Rob said that the current retail price was based on their cost from the factory. If they had actually used Hipshot bridges, Schaller Strap Locks, & CTS pots, the retail price would be much higher.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Afraid not. Over at the Rob Chapman forum, Rob said that the current retail price was based on their cost from the factory. If they had actually used Hipshot bridges, Schaller Strap Locks, & CTS pots, the retail price would be much higher.

That's hilarious, because his main selling point was that he could provide guitars with brand name parts at a very good price. Seems like he would have had to know the production cost since the beginning to make such a claim, which as far as he knew was with the genuine parts.... Sounds a bit dodgy to me....

I wonder what his claim to having a superior product is going to be now if what he is having produced is just guitars made in the same factory as other brands and fitted with similar components selling for the same money, can't push that OHSC as a selling point for ever....