NGD: EBMM JP12-7 - Pics + Review!

• Thread starter Alberto7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Got pics?
Why yes, yes I do! As always, pics first, talk later!
It is so tricky to photograph this guitar. I tried to take pictures in different lighting to showcase the finish.
Cameras are also inherently shit at accurately capturing reds, so it tends to look a bit more brown in pictures than it really is.

20240515_113211_compress53.jpg
20240515_001022_compress51.jpg
20240515_113314_compress1.jpg
20240520_183746_compress19.jpg
20240520_183855_compress27.jpg
20240520_183749_compress20.jpg
20240520_183425_compress34.jpg

Bonus puppy!
20240520_183455_compress51.jpg

Why a JP12-7?
I have been missing a 7-string with a trem forever. I initially wanted to get a Tom Anderson Angel 7, and was just waiting for the right time to put a deposit down. I eventually decided against it given that it costs the same as a new Oni but without the unique look, the flexibility of options, or the frequent interactions with the builder. So, having just sold my RGA121-NT (wasn't playing it much and it deserved a good home) and receiving a bunch of refunds for a cancelled trip... I decided it was time to look at new guitars.

I have always wanted a JP after loving every single one I've ever tried, but for one reason or another I never got one. Then this baby came up for sale locally and, considering how beautiful it is, that it is a relatively rare guitar, that it is a JP with stainless steel frets, (which I deeply appreciate and which meant I wouldn't have to worry about any previous owner's fretwear) but more importantly that I was gonna get to try it before buying it, and that I wasn't gonna have to pay shipping/imports and duties... it was kind of obvious I had to get it. On top of that, the guy that sold it to me was pretty rad and we got to nerd out on gear for a bit, a thing I don't normally get to do in person. He gave it to me with all of the case candy, including the original COA, stickers, fretboard and string wipes, and even a full extra set (7 of them) of piezo saddles from before 2013. (Not sure what the difference between pre and post-2013 saddles is or honestly why he had them... but I wasn't going to say no to that.)

How does it play/sound?
After a full setup (I have no idea how people play with 0.5 mm action and like 0.001" of neck relief... :lol:) the thing plays like butter and is in excellent condition. The frets are perfectly dressed and can be set up with super low action. It has the tiniest and faintest bit of buckle rash and a few pick scratches on the front, but other than that the finish is excellently well kept for a 12 year old guitar.

The guitar is drop-dead gorgeous. The finish is one of the classiest I have seen on any guitar. From afar it looks pretty much black, or a dark maroon. But if you get closer than 10 feet you begin to notice the glimmer. When in direct sunlight the deep red sparkles really come to life! Depending on the lighting it varies from dark maroon, to a deep wine red, even a bright red.

It sounds great, and I love the fact that it has a piezo. Never owned a guitar with a piezo before so I'm excited to see what I will come up with using it. The Crunchlab/Liquifire set is pretty great too. Very versatile guitar.

The neck feels great, though if you don't like painted necks you probably won't like this one either. It doesn't get super slick, but it's certainly different from a matte or oiled/waxed neck. I prefer the flatter, more D-shaped Ibanez necks, but the thin C-shape on this is pretty nice and comfy as well!

What am I unhappy about?
It does have three flaws that bother me a little but I am able to live with them. One aesthetic and two functional:

Aesthetic flaw: it has one shield inlay (21st) fret that is ever so slightly crooked and a couple others that may be crooked but I can't quite tell.
20240517_110502_compress99.jpg

Functional flaws:
1) Either the neck shifted at some point or it's always been like this, but the high E string is really close to the edge of the fretboard and the D string does not line up correctly with the inlays. Although if one inlay is crooked... nothing guarantees me the others are correctly centered :lol: unless I take out my caliper and start measuring. But I don't care that much at this point. I've been able to manage it without much of a problem so far, just gotta remember it's there. I also really don't feel like messing with neck pockets, so if it ever turns into a problem I may just consider replacing the guitar.
2) This guitar is a total chonk! 8.7 lbs, which was pretty unexpected as all JPs I had tried in the past tended to be signifcantly lighter. My heaviest was my Carvin DC727 (swamp ash, koa, and ebony) at a hair shy of 8 lbs. It is not uncomfortable by any means, but something I immediately noticed!

All in all, I am stoked with it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
They are definitely some of the classiest looking models in the Petrucci range. Like a fine wine. The 20” radius is so slick combined with SS frets.

Totally forgot to mention the flat fretboard radius! It was a bigger difference than I was expecting, but it was kinda neither here nor there for me. I noticed it, but I think it's more of a thing I can see than a thing I can feel. Playability really is super smooth on this thing. My strandberg 8 is also 20", but honestly there is so much going on with that guitar that I can't tell what the 20" fb is doing there. :lol:

Come to think of it, I didn't really get into the weeds of it as far as sound and some aspects of playability, like how it sits and conforms to my body. Lots of little details I am still figuring out! It certainly feels a little more alien to me than an Ibanez, which is what I am used to, but not in a bad way at all.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm smoking crack but it looks like it could be seated off in the neck pocket by looking at the left side of the pocket. Usually you can fix that by just unscrewing the bolts.a bit,.moving it and tightening it back down
Yeah I need to get around to trying that, though I've read that it may not work. Something to try.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Gorgeous. You've captured the color well in those pics, too. :yesway:

Thanks! Spent a good while playing with different lighting and camera settings (as much as my phone's cameras allowed me anyway).

Works more often than not. Just gotta give it a good elegant yank.

Yeah I'll probably try that soon. Done under tension I assume eh? I'll give each bolt (individually) a chance at this until it works. 5 bolts at the joint messes me up a little haha

Oh shit I just realized this is a BFR model, or as I call them, "BEEFERS". that's sick.

I just realized there are some of these that don't have the BFR inlay at the 12th fret. Is there any difference? The stock pictures on the EBMM website don't have the inlay (2 dots instead), but every single real example of these guitars I've seen online (being sold 2nd hand, etc) has the BFR label like mine. The only ones I've seen out there that didn't have it was a special run that had a rosewood neck and fretboard with non-matching headstock.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just realized there are some of these that don't have the BFR inlay at the 12th fret. Is there any difference? The stock pictures on the EBMM website don't have the inlay (2 dots instead), but every single real example of these guitars I've seen online (being sold 2nd hand, etc) has the BFR label like mine. The only ones I've seen out there that didn't have it was a special run that had a rosewood neck and fretboard with non-matching headstock.

Ball Family Reserve are limited-run guitars that EBMM does. They'll do their models in unique finishes or with unique woods. They used to put the BFR inlay at the 12th fret of these guitars but have (thankfully) stopped doing that. This is one of those limited run JP models from back when they were still using the BFR inlay.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ball Family Reserve are limited-run guitars that EBMM does. They'll do their models in unique finishes or with unique woods. They used to put the BFR inlay at the 12th fret of these guitars but have (thankfully) stopped doing that. This is one of those limited run JP models from back when they were still using the BFR inlay.

Yeah I knew what BFR were in the context of regular JPs, I just wasn't sure how that applied to guitars like the JPX, JPXI, JP12, etc., given that their whole point was that these JPXX models were meant to be limited edition anniversary models and each year they chose a different set of specs. Were they all considered BFRs at the time and then they decided to just remove the label? It is kind of redundant to call them BFRs when they already had a proper BFR line.

I do like the inlay though. I've known these guitars since I was pretty young and the marketing for BFR got into our little, impressionable brains to tell us these things were special, (I mean, they are, but it's just a spec change as far as I understand) so I've always had a thing for them. But I can totally see people hating the look. I think of all the tacky labels in guitars out there, EBMM probably does them in the classiest way :lol: the font is real nice 😅

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! Spent a good while playing with different lighting and camera settings (as much as my phone's cameras allowed me anyway).

Yeah I'll probably try that soon. Done under tension I assume eh? I'll give each bolt (individually) a chance at this until it works. 5 bolts at the joint messes me up a little haha

In the bass world, they're what a PRS 10 Top is to PRS

"
Ball Family Reserve logo

Ball Family Reserve is a celebration of our heritage in instrument craftsmanship which features some of the finest figured tone woods and finishes available. These rare pieces are offered in limited production runs and allow us to present instruments to the public that were previously reserved for family and our loyal artists."

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
#1 Congrats, that is a beautiful guitar!
#2 I'm pretty sure I have chatted (online) with the guy that sold you the guitar, and yes, he is a nice guy.
#3 It does look like it has shifted in the neck pocket. Loosen the neck bolts just slightly (maybe 1 turn for each screw) and then shift the neck. It's very very easy and not anything to worry about--I know, because I've done it on a Fender and a Jackson--just slightly shift it and it will almost naturally fall into place. This kind of thing happens all the time on bolt-on guitars, just the nature of the beast, they get a jolt in the case and it shifts, no biggie.

Enjoy!!!

sell2792

Reaction score
…Were they all considered BFRs at the time and then they decided to just remove the label? It is kind of redundant to call them BFRs when they already had a proper BFR line….

Yes, all of the anniversary models are considered BFRs. All they did was remove that inlay. Also, sick guitar man! I currently have a JPX-7 (no 12th fret inlay but does have SS frets) and an early JPXI with both.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
#1 Congrats, that is a beautiful guitar!
#2 I'm pretty sure I have chatted (online) with the guy that sold you the guitar, and yes, he is a nice guy.
#3 It does look like it has shifted in the neck pocket. Loosen the neck bolts just slightly (maybe 1 turn for each screw) and then shift the neck. It's very very easy and not anything to worry about--I know, because I've done it on a Fender and a Jackson--just slightly shift it and it will almost naturally fall into place. This kind of thing happens all the time on bolt-on guitars, just the nature of the beast, they get a jolt in the case and it shifts, no biggie.

Enjoy!!!
Thank you! Yeah he was real chill. He even drove to me to bring it.

I tried moving the neck both with string tension and without tension, and the thing doesn't budge. It creaks a bit, but any movement is mostly imperceptible. I also don't think I should be forcing it more than I was. I can live with it the way it is though. Most examples I saw of this online were SO much worse, actually unplayable. So I'm not super worried. I may try again another day. Hell, some day I may even just take the neck off because why not, who knows.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, all of the anniversary models are considered BFRs. All they did was remove that inlay. Also, sick guitar man! I currently have a JPX-7 (no 12th fret inlay but does have SS frets) and an early JPXI with both.
Sick! Thanks for the info. It's kind of as I suspected. I love me a JPX! I almost grabbed a 6-string version that was going for the same price, but I preferred a 7 and I wasn't sure whether or not the JPX had stainless frets or not. How long did they make the JPX for? I thought they introduced SS frets with the JP12.

sell2792

Reaction score
Sick! Thanks for the info. It's kind of as I suspected. I love me a JPX! I almost grabbed a 6-string version that was going for the same price, but I preferred a 7 and I wasn't sure whether or not the JPX had stainless frets or not. How long did they make the JPX for? I thought they introduced SS frets with the JP12.
I don’t recall how long each model ran for though I do know the XI introduced stainless frets. All JP models after that received SS frets including the X which was in production for at least a few more years - think mine is a 13’ or 14’. I think there’s a transition year where you can get the twelfth fret inlay and SS on the X & XI though.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah he was real chill. He even drove to me to bring it.

I tried moving the neck both with string tension and without tension, and the thing doesn't budge. It creaks a bit, but any movement is mostly imperceptible. I also don't think I should be forcing it more than I was. I can live with it the way it is though. Most examples I saw of this online were SO much worse, actually unplayable. So I'm not super worried. I may try again another day. Hell, some day I may even just take the neck off because why not, who knows.
For sure. You may need to loosen the screws a bit more maybe. The standard method is to do it under regular string tension.
Yeah, taking the whole neck off and reseating it might be a good idea--perhaps the finish in the neck pocket is making it more difficult to shift? Either way, I highly recommend doing it, it will make the playing experience 100x better.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
For sure. You may need to loosen the screws a bit more maybe. The standard method is to do it under regular string tension.
Yeah, taking the whole neck off and reseating it might be a good idea--perhaps the finish in the neck pocket is making it more difficult to shift? Either way, I highly recommend doing it, it will make the playing experience 100x better.

Yeah I have a feeling it's the finish. It's a pretty damn thick coat of it, and feels like it'd get kinda sticky and gummy under pressure. I'll give it a shot next time I re-string. I tried again today and I think I did manage to get it like 30% better, but not enough that I can definitely say it did something. :lol: I measured a 0.004" gap at the top of the bass side of the neck pocket vs no gap at the bottom (close to the neck pickup). No gap at all that I could measure on the treble side, so I'm almost certain I can move it back in position if I remove and re-seat.

For now I sent an email to EBMM customer service for advice.