NGD: Jackson Custom Shop

• Thread starter drgordonfreeman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rg401

Reaction score
Someone was asleep when they built it and when they inspected it.

I keep wondering what the thought process was of the guy who fretted this? "23 frets... yep, seems right to me."

Like I said, it was either accept that it's 23 frets, rather than 24, or go through the painful process of trying to get this fixed. I figured, screw it. Lesson learned.

And this is only half of what I put up with when dealing with the Jackson CS. You guys don't want to hear the full story...

I bet one the the main dealing problems with the Jack CS was the 1 hum thing, they don't like to reproduce old signatures guitars with little changes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
That quilt is sickkk. HNGD man. :)

EDIT: Just saw the 23 fret thing, that's very strange...

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
23 frets! What the hell is up with that!

Beautiful Kelly though, congrats to you. I play a WRMG Warrior myself!

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I bet one the the main dealing problems with the Jack CS was the 1 hum thing, they don't like to reproduce old signatures guitars with little changes.

Interesting. I didn't even think of that. Maybe they figured it was too close to the KE1-T, and to avoid any potential "conflicts" they made it with 23 frets instead of 24. That's a plausible scenario, I guess. If that's the case, though, I wish they would have at least given me a heads up.

HNGD ! but I have to ask about one thing : how is the neckdive ?

The neck dive is horrible. Ha. Sort of par for the course with Kellys.

G333

Reaction score
Nigel Tuffnel - "Most guitars have 22 frets but this has one more in case you need to take it to the next level, ya know, you can get that note on the 23rd fret nobody can else can get to".

Rob Reiner: "Aren't 24 fret guitars pretty standard these days?"

Nigel: "Yeah, but this has 23"

Rob::scratch:

Beautiful guitar, I'd take it with 23 no problem

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, so did you reach out to Matt and ask about some form of discount??? I mean they should be able to offer a price cut with such a ridiculous fuckup. I would be beyond pissed, matter of fact I myself couldn't have kept it cause I like often doing riffs that go from open to the 24th fret - and before someone tries to tell me to play the note one string up the tone is different between the notes.

I have a custom 7-string Kelly in the works estimated to be completed in March and all this talk about neck dive is worrying me as mine is going to be 26.5" scale. I used to always play 25.5" 6-string Kelly's though and never had any neck dive issues though I used leather straps.

Rev.

Possessed

Reaction score

It can not be true. My CS is based on mustaine's KV1. If you check ebay, there is silver KV1 which is the exact replica of Mustaine's silver V. No mistakes in building!

9333189561_dcb94f3930_z.jpg

Possessed

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't even think of that. Maybe they figured it was too close to the KE1-T, and to avoid any potential "conflicts" they made it with 23 frets instead of 24. That's a plausible scenario, I guess. If that's the case, though, I wish they would have at least given me a heads up.

The neck dive is horrible. Ha. Sort of par for the course with Kellys.

Have you checked neck scale length? is it 25.5 or 24.75?

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you checked neck scale length? is it 25.5 or 24.75?

I'm guessing it's 25.5" on a neck that was originally built for 24.75" w/24 frets. Jackson uses templates for these things, so it's not like a fretboard of this length would just accidentally happen. It *is* disturbing that the Custom Shop would deem it acceptable to just slap 23 frets on there and pretend everything was fine. That's incredibly unprofessional.

brett8388

Reaction score
Nice guitar but I would send it back. 23 frets is ridiculous. Take your business elsewhere if they won't make it right and quickly.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
You know what, I'd actually really like to hear the whole story. It's good to get this info out there so people that are considering making the leap, know what they are getting into. People see Bulbs guitars and his fast build times and equate that to how they think they should be treated as a customer.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
You know what, I'd actually really like to hear the whole story. It's good to get this info out there so people that are considering making the leap, know what they are getting into. People see Bulbs guitars and his fast build times and equate that to how they think they should be treated as a customer.

When I get my custom Jackson and do an NGD I was planning on addressing some of those points. I definitely would never go through it again. 25 months is when I'm expected to get mine and for the price I don't care how good it is it's just not worth it. When I called Matts Music he quoted a 12-16 months, but after the order it was 2 years. I did know that already though reading posts and such so I don't feel misled. And I understand Misha is an endorsee, but I really just wish they'd get a separate team to handle endorsee builds so it wouldn't delay all the paying customer's orders, I mean that would make some sense no?

Rev.

patsanger

Reaction score
I know this is totally your call, but you really need to talk to Jackson about this. It's just not right.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I mean, I hate to shit on your NGD. That guitar is objectively nice as are most USA and especially the CS Jacksons. You just need to talk to someone about it and make it right.

Wasn't it Grover Jackson that sawed up a guitar in front of a team for messed up inlays? (May have been Wayne Charvel) Shit, He'd saw up an employee if he saw a whole fret missing.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
I really rarely post here, most of the time I am a reader but this time I really couldn't stop myself from posting..
I've been a big fan of Jackson guitars for years and still I personally think this is unacceptable.
It's not just the amount of money or the length of time you waited, this is more than that (it's almost disrespectful they sent it to you like this). If I were you I would send it back, and if they're going to keep you waiting for another 2 years then f**** them, ask for refund. I know it is so easy for me to say knowing you just got yourself a CS Jackson but what makes you think those flaws won't bother you even more in the future?

I've been planning to order a custom jackson, now I have second thoughts about it. You know the thing is; this is not some 2-3 dudes running a custom shop and trying to offer an exceptional instrument. This is jackson and they've been building these for decades.. you're paying extra $ for their brand name, and quality etc.

Again, you are the person who will decide but if I were you I would also think about how I'd feel in the long run.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
How does a builder just forget a fret? It seems like there would have been many measurements that didn't make sense (fretboard length, binding) and would have caught there attention.