Not sure if I installed pups right...

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
So I just "installed" my new Crunch Lab/Liquifire 7 combo in my Agile Interceptor 725. When soldering them, the wire between the volume and tone pots came loose. It looked like it was soldered to the back of the tone pot so I just heated up the solder and remade the connection. My guitar wouldn't make any noise, but when I removed the connection from the back of the pot, it started working. All pots work as they are supposed to. Is this bad or did I just try to connect something that wasn't supposed to be connected?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
It was my first pickup soldering so don't judge haha. This is the back of the tone pot. As you can see, there was some solder there that got spread around while I was trying to attach/reattach everything. I'm assuming it just wasn't meant to be soldered there and I made a newbie mistake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 21

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Did you try to solder the white wire to the back of the pot? You are right, that would not work, but I do believe you are missing the ground connection to the tone pot shell. It looks like you have a shielded wire, and it probably needs the shield stripped back and soldered to the shell.
If it is too short you can just use an individual conductor from there to the shell of the volume pot.

Here is a good page for some wiring tips/info. Look at the second small picture that says "Now let's look at how a Tone Pot works" right above it. Just follow that and you will be good.

Guitar & Bass Wiring Techniques

HTH:metal: