Not too intense distortion pedal suggestion..

• Thread starter 70Seven
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for a distortion pedal for an Iron Maiden/Joe Satriani type sound. Should sound good in Rhythm and good for soloing.. Nothing to intense not looking for box that can djent but I'm ok if it can..

I play in standard tuning mostly. Will go into the clean channel of my REVV 100P.

The purple channel on the 100P is great, but I'm having issues calming it down, it is an aggressive sound, a good one but very aggressive and tight, not always best for a more classic metal sound.

I'm thinking of the Revv G4 pedal, Freidman Dirty Shirley... Any other suggestion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I mean you can *immediately* count out the Revv pedal, because it's just gonna sound like the amp. :lol:

Also yeah check out Friedman pedals. Either the Smallbox or BE-OD.

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
I mean you can *immediately* count out the Revv pedal, because it's just gonna sound like the amp. :lol:

Also yeah check out Friedman pedals. Either the Smallbox or BE-OD.

Right, I thought the G4 was more aimed at those classic metal tones, not as tight as the purple channel. But yeah maybe too intense for what I'm looking for.

Looking up reviews of the BE-OD now..

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yep came here to say Satch was a big DS1 dude.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Murray and Smith from Maiden used MXR Distortion and Ibanez Tube Screamers, respectively. They also used the lead channels of their amps, Marshall preamps etc..

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Definitely check out the DS-1. They're pretty cheap used as well, as a bonus.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Others have already shared "the" DS1 formula, but RAT also makes for a surprisingly good cleanish boost.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to check out the Mooer preamp pedals based on the JCM and BE-100...whichever ones those are.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
just run a tube screamer variant into the crunch mode of the 100p. Maiden tones should be pretty easy to cop.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm a strong advocate that the DS1 is a quality dist pedal for such a cheap price, especially when dialled right. And yeah, Satch was a strong DS1 user for decades.

Though if you want some fancier alternatives:

Either the Providence or Free The Tone Heat Blaster pedals are good choices. They're a more higher end take on the DS1 with a few extra features and sound awesome, though they're also pricier as a result. I've got the FTT version and love it to bits.

There's also some of the Chander Tube Driver clones, since Satch was a big user of those too. Either the TC Tube Pilot, MXR FET Driver, Lovepedal Dover Drive or Buffalo FX TD-X are great choices. My personals preference goes to the Buffalo but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Amptweaker TightRock Jr is what I’m using right now and it’s great. The TightDrive Jr is also worth considering. It’s a bit lower gain.

tedtan

Reaction score
The original Marshall Gun’nor, and any of the clones or variations based on it, would be perfect for this application.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
No one ever listens, but Tech 21 British. You’ll pass it up like everyone else, I’m sure, but it gets me some pretty killer Marshall sounds. Nothing else I tried into a power amp or FRFR did as well as the British pedal. The King (or similar names; they’ve renamed it a fair amount) by Menatone also sounds great in demos, and some versions are insanely versatile/tweakable.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The original Marshall Gun’nor, and any of the clones or variations based on it, would be perfect for this application.
Smiletone Governor’s Blues might work. It is a Bluesbreaker pedal and Guvnor two in one.

Edika

Reaction score
If you don't want an all out distortion pedal, you can have a look at the TC electronics Dark Matter. It's quite cheap and you can get interesting sounds out of it. It doesn't get near as much distortion as most of the pedals suggested already but it's more gain than a Tubescreamer.