"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. The smoky one I got is ok and works on some things, but I just never find myself grabbing it over the others.

I can’t get down with some of the “smokey” labeled sauces and seasonings. It changes the flavor of the pepper. I feel like I’m getting enough when I’m grilling and I don’t need to add any more sour burn to it. A good example is just regular Montreal Steak Seasoning vs the Smoked Steak Seasoning. The regular is excellent and the smoked sucks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok about this guitar center stuff. If I was the CEO and wanted to make the place a pLaYgRoUnD of premium products like he says, I'd keep the wall as it was with all the affordable stuff within arms reach. I'd then clone the humidity controlled glass acoustic room and put all the premium stuff in there and have the items well spaced out and showcased. The room would be DVR monitored and in order to go in and play whatever you want, you let the clerk scan a copy of your license/ID so if you go in there and grab a custom shop Gibson and clumsily el cabongo the headstock off an adjacent amp head, you are responsible for the damage. Under 18's without an ID would need to be accompanied by an adult like an R rated movie.

I'm skeptical on how well premium sales will increase when every shithead who walks in can abuse them on a whim. There has to be some kind of oversight, and GC doesn't seem to be appropriate for an "appt only" Vegas vibe.

And fwiw some of this might not be original thought from me. I consume too much media and sometimes things blend into my thoughts and help form them so if someone else already suggested this, sorry for ripping off the idea.

Thank you for reading my diary.

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
That shit is 750k scovilles? Holy fuck.
Form matters like someone else just mentioned, but so does context. On greasy beef it won't seem as hot, but the same amount on lean chicken will probably burn your lips off. As my father would say, it's part of what defines a good chili. Also no chicken, it's a girl meat, but those are my words.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like having the cheapest guitars out of reach is the equivalent of Starbucks keeping the plain bagels frozen and the drip coffee tasting like drain cleaner?

Well, obviously.

It’ll be interesting to see how this is implemented and how it plays out. It seems like GC has realized that their way of doing things in the brick-and-mortar segment hasn’t been working for a lot of people.

If they can sell on average an item with a little more gross profit in the same amount of time, I think they’ll find they can attract more experienced store staff and help them build stable careers out of it. When you go above the fray of commoditized entry and mid-level product that can be purchased anywhere, and you seriously pursue sales of up-market products, a great shopping experience is critical. An experienced, knowledgable, dedicated sales force is the most important factor in being able to deliver that experience.

Last edited:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
GC has a long and illustrious history of being run into the ground. Who wants to start betting on how many bankruptcies they’ll hit this decade
Who knows. With their biggest brick-and-mortar competitor gone, their competition falls into two camps: (1.) Online sales of similar products. (2.) Other hobbies competing for the available pool of discretionary consumer spending. The runway is certainly clear for another crash take-off as they attempt to navigate those challenges.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone get a free plek from C&C Music Factory with the purchase of their guitar? I'm curious about them. They sell on Reverb and seem to offer free pleks. With the understanding that a plek is only as good as the human operator and the finish work that follows, and "I would never get a plek on a new guitar until I've assessed the fretwork and let it acclimate to my environment for the period of two harvest moons", has anyone gotten a plek from them?

It's actually called C&M Music in Kenner, LA*

Last edited:

Demiurge

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like having the cheapest guitars out of reach is the equivalent of Starbucks keeping the plain bagels frozen and the drip coffee tasting like drain cleaner?

Well, obviously.
"Make buying the cheaper thing unpleasant" is probably going to be a little bit more effective for coffee shops than guitar shops.

People are addicted to caffeine, and the daily coffee & bagel/donut/pastry run can be habitual; there's a loyal customer base that might be willing to sacrifice some additional pennies to maintain convenience with their habit.

Sure, we're "addicted" to guitars LOL or whatever, but our shopping experiences might be different. For example, my guitar shopping is usually looking for something specific or skeezing for a deal. It's usually the latter more than the former, but either way, putting the more expensive stuff at the bottom is less likely to hook me.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Make buying the cheaper thing unpleasant" is probably going to be a little bit more effective for coffee shops than guitar shops.

People are addicted to caffeine, and the daily coffee & bagel/donut/pastry run can be habitual; there's a loyal customer base that might be willing to sacrifice some additional pennies to maintain convenience with their habit.

Sure, we're "addicted" to guitars LOL or whatever, but our shopping experiences might be different. For example, my guitar shopping is usually looking for something specific or skeezing for a deal. It's usually the latter more than the former, but either way, putting the more expensive stuff at the bottom is less likely to hook me.
I agree with you that it won’t stop people who already set on something. I can’t help thinking, though, about the multiple effects this might have on people interested in the cheap guitars, and on the day-to-day store operations.

Think of the time that will be required to get them down and put them back up. Are they going to have one or two low-paid lackeys fielding that business while the upper-tier sales people focus on the stuff that’s worth their time? Are people going to start whining that only billionaires can shop at GC now because the firewood is harder to reach and the better guitars are more visible? I’m kind of anxious to see how this goes, like I don’t want to go to bed tonight without knowing. :lol:

I think what they’re really getting at with this new strategy is that they want to take the existing foot traffic and get them to look at pricier stuff, literally and figuratively.

Some people will never just decide one day to seek out a certain piece of gear that’s significantly out of the price range where they tend to shop. Sometimes it takes a chance encounter to get them to want the thing. You see it just sitting there one day, and you think, “What the hell… why not give it a spin?” You try it, and it’s great, and you understand what it does that you haven’t experienced before, and you realize that it’s not just the same thing you’re used to but with a bigger price tag.

Last edited:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Form matters like someone else just mentioned, but so does context. On greasy beef it won't seem as hot, but the same amount on lean chicken will probably burn your lips off. As my father would say, it's part of what defines a good chili. Also no chicken, it's a girl meat, but those are my words.
Is this a Ron Swanson quote? :lol:

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I
I can’t get down with some of the “smokey” labeled sauces and seasonings. It changes the flavor of the pepper. I feel like I’m getting enough when I’m grilling and I don’t need to add any more sour burn to it. A good example is just regular Montreal Steak Seasoning vs the Smoked Steak Seasoning. The regular is excellent and the smoked sucks.
I really miss the Blairs limited edition "Beserker" sauce made for Zakk Wylde...tasted of pain.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I received a job offer last night to work in Hollywood, CA. I'm not an LA type at all, but the the opportunity is too good to pass up.

Any folks from LA on here?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I like Hollywood, I have friends that live in West Hollywood. Traffic is horrible pretty much always up there but there’s lots to do. The 101 might be my least favorite highway I traverse semi regularly. You’ll figure out pretty quickly if you’re an LA person or not - some people love it to death but I’d rather be in SD.