Elric

Reaction score
The Axe FX is 48kHz, 24 bit I believe. If its possible to change the clock speed of the Axe I certainly haven't figured out how.
Correct, it is fixed at 48KHz. Any sample rate conversion would be done in software.

No balanced inputs of any kind, no. Only thing balanced is Output 1, which I use to line into my active monitors.
This is just straight up incorrect. All the rear inputs are balanced and accept line level signals. Some people use the AF as an FX only unit so it'd be crazy not to have balanced inputs anywhere on it.

From the Manual:
New I/O Capabilities and Less Noise
All rear analog inputs are now balanced like the onboard XLR outputs. The ¼" unbalanced outputs feature our new Humbuster™ technology, which senses and subtracts the ground noise of equipment connected with a simple stereo-to-mono cable. This can provide up to 20 dB reduction in ground noise without resorting to dangerous "cheater plugs" or expensive isolation transformers.

That said, the advice regarding the need for a preamp to use a mic still stands, so unless you have a stand alone preamp, you will probably want an audio interface regardless of whether the connections are balanced or not.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

taysil11

Reaction score
AxeFX n00blet here, so just to clarify... it's sounding like the AxeFX requires a poweramp with a cab, but not with a PA.

AxeFX => PA
AxeFX => poweramp => guitar cab?

is this correct? there's no native poweramp on the unit?

HellGamer666

Reaction score
So, when it comes to the Ultra, what do I need to run headphones with it? I don't plan on gigging any time soon and my ideal setup would be the Ultra and a decent pair of headphones. Do I NEED a headphone amp, or will one of the outputs work well enough?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Quick question. If I hook up my Axe Fx to a power amp + Cab do I need to crank the power amp as I would with a traditional tube amp or can I still play a relatively low volumes and still have it sound good?

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
So, when it comes to the Ultra, what do I need to run headphones with it? I don't plan on gigging any time soon and my ideal setup would be the Ultra and a decent pair of headphones. Do I NEED a headphone amp, or will one of the outputs work well enough?

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Quick question. If I hook up my Axe Fx to a power amp + Cab do I need to crank the power amp as I would with a traditional tube amp or can I still play a relatively low volumes and still have it sound good?

Depends. With a tube power amp I tend to push it like I would a tube amp (because it is) and play at higher volumes. Solid state power amps tend to sound fine (to me) at just about any volume.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
If I buy an Axe Fx Standard, what am I missing out on compared to the newer models (features, updates etc.)? What's the 2nd hand going price today (EU or other)?

Shask

Reaction score
I would say you are missing quite a bit. I had a Standard and did a lot to move up to an Axe-FX II.

The Standard is a great sounding Unit, but the II is something special indeed :)

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
If I buy an Axe Fx Standard, what am I missing out on compared to the newer models (features, updates etc.)? What's the 2nd hand going price today (EU or other)?

With the Ultra you would be missing out on the looper function and quad chorus. Maybe a bit more too but I can't remember at the moment. Do a google search for standard vs ultra if you are interested.

Rypac

Reaction score
With the Ultra you would be missing out on the looper function and quad chorus. Maybe a bit more too but I can't remember at the moment. Do a google search for standard vs ultra if you are interested.

There is a Looper function built into the delay module on the Ultra. It only records for 16 seconds though so I don't think it is as advanced as the looper in the II. Still very handy.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Still a looper in my book. I was comparing the Standard to the Ultra not the II. I would assume (and hope) the looper on the II is at least a bit better than the one in the Ultra but I use it all the time.

Rypac

Reaction score
Sorry man, my bad. I read you post as Ultra vs. II.

I didn't realise the Standard was missing the looper function. I've found it really helpful when fine tuning patches.

cgraci

Reaction score
Hey can anyone recommend some good pa speakers for my ultra? I have a choice of yamaha dxr15, mackie hd 1221, or jblprx700 series. Can someone please give me advice