This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickVicious24

Dutchie
Reaction score
Hiya guys,

Quick question regarding the Axe-fx and Kemper. Since July this year I am using an Kemper profiling Rack with the Matrix GT800FX poweramp and a Bogner 4x12 cabinet.
This all works fine, one of my goals was to get a simpler set-up so I don't have to do the tapdancing anymore on a huge pedalboard etc etc.

However.. Soundwise i'm still not there yet.. Leaving aside the fact that I don't use the profiling capabilities at all (only presets/profiles), i'm missing the quality and quantity of the available effects.
On top of this I still haven't made peace with the high-gain sounds wich I have used and am using right now (have used free and commercial profiles).

Some time ago I had the pleasure of trying out an Axe-FX 2, and I have to say, from the first moment on there was a connection. Something that I didn't had with the Kemper at all. This moment has got me thinking for the last month or so to switch from kemper to Axe-fx.

Any tips/ideas on how to get this done? You think it's a good deal to trade an unpowered Kemper Rack for an Axe-fx 2 with some cash on the side?

Or maybe sell the kemper seperatly and then add some cash for a new axefx unit?

Ideas are welcome :yesway:

thanks in advance,

gr,
nick

hikizume976

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

Quick question regarding the Axe-fx and Kemper. Since July this year I am using an Kemper profiling Rack with the Matrix GT800FX poweramp and a Bogner 4x12 cabinet.
This all works fine, one of my goals was to get a simpler set-up so I don't have to do the tapdancing anymore on a huge pedalboard etc etc.

However.. Soundwise i'm still not there yet.. Leaving aside the fact that I don't use the profiling capabilities at all (only presets/profiles), i'm missing the quality and quantity of the available effects.
On top of this I still haven't made peace with the high-gain sounds wich I have used and am using right now (have used free and commercial profiles).

Some time ago I had the pleasure of trying out an Axe-FX 2, and I have to say, from the first moment on there was a connection. Something that I didn't had with the Kemper at all. This moment has got me thinking for the last month or so to switch from kemper to Axe-fx.

Any tips/ideas on how to get this done? You think it's a good deal to trade an unpowered Kemper Rack for an Axe-fx 2 with some cash on the side?

Or maybe sell the kemper seperatly and then add some cash for a new axefx unit?

Ideas are welcome :yesway:

thanks in advance,

gr,
nick

If you're missing the effects, aren't that happy with the tones, and felt a connection with the axe, why keep the kemper?

People out there are getting amazing results with both units anyway, if you're not feeling one, try the other!

NickVicious24

Dutchie
Reaction score
If you're missing the effects, aren't that happy with the tones, and felt a connection with the axe, why keep the kemper?

People out there are getting amazing results with both units anyway, if you're not feeling one, try the other!

Thanks for your answer, and indeed that is exactly what im after.
I was only wondering if I have any chance of succeeding on trading an kemper for an axe-fx 2. Maybe some people with experience on this?

Unfortunatly i'm still quite a few posts away from being allowed to post in the "gear for sale" section. So trying to find out as much info as possible in advance,

cheers :wavey:,

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Guys I recently started having some problems with Axe Edit.

I'm using the AxeFX Standard. I had it connected to my interface (M-Audio Midisport 4x4) and it was working fine for quite some time. The past few times I've attempted to run Axe Edit it doesn't even seem to acknowledge my interface.

When I do into the device manager for my computer it still says all the drivers are up-to-date and it doesn't seem to indicate that there are any problems with the device.

I have not yet checked to see if my DAW sees the interface; somehow it slipped my mind.

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
Quick question. If I hook up my Axe Fx to a power amp + Cab do I need to crank the power amp as I would with a traditional tube amp or can I still play a relatively low volumes and still have it sound good?
Not sure if you are using a dedicated poweramp (ex ART SLA2) or running through a tube amp, however

I owned an ART poweramp and I ran it in stereo with 2 cabs. You can crank the output on the poweramp, and then use the output knobs on the axe to attenuate the signal, or you can just keep both levels low. My setup was reallllly quiet if need be :shred:

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Guys I recently started having some problems with Axe Edit.

I'm using the AxeFX Standard. I had it connected to my interface (M-Audio Midisport 4x4) and it was working fine for quite some time. The past few times I've attempted to run Axe Edit it doesn't even seem to acknowledge my interface.

When I do into the device manager for my computer it still says all the drivers are up-to-date and it doesn't seem to indicate that there are any problems with the device.

I have not yet checked to see if my DAW sees the interface; somehow it slipped my mind.

What version of AxeEdit are you using? Are you on the latest version, or have you been sticking with an older version? The reason I ask is because, at some point, companies sometimes decide to move on and stop supporting "older" hardware. Translation: the latest version of AxeEdit may not work with the AFx Standard anymore.

That's the only thing I can think of, and it's a total guess. When I hear that something involving hardware and software suddenly stops working, it's often the result of updating the software.

Eviga

Reaction score
If want to use the Axe Fx with a Power Amp and 2x12 cab, which output and cable should i use.

andyjanson

Reaction score
If want to use the Axe Fx with a Power Amp and 2x12 cab, which output and cable should i use.

Depends on the amp man. It may have an XLR input (balanced) or 1/4 inch (unbalanced). Either way you want to run either a standard XLR cable (sometimes called mic cables) or regular 1/4 inch jack - jack cable from output 1 of the axe fx into the amp, and then a speaker cable from the amp to the cab. If you are using just the one 2X12, use output 1 left.

Primedog

Morgue crew
Reaction score
It wouldn't let me post in the market place I'm located in Sydney Australia if anyone wants to sell a standard or ultra pm me I'm very keen. Thanks all.

Primedog

Morgue crew
Reaction score
I want to buy a standard but it's never been updated can I still get all the old firmware updates only can find. 11

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
What version of AxeEdit are you using? Are you on the latest version, or have you been sticking with an older version? The reason I ask is because, at some point, companies sometimes decide to move on and stop supporting "older" hardware. Translation: the latest version of AxeEdit may not work with the AFx Standard anymore.

That's the only thing I can think of, and it's a total guess. When I hear that something involving hardware and software suddenly stops working, it's often the result of updating the software.

Ha! Yea I went through some of that getting it to work in the beginning. I'm using an older version for exactly the reasons you stated. It used to work and only recently stopped. :scratch:

It recognizes one of my interfaces but not the midi interface [anymore].

Eviga

Reaction score
I heard that it's possible to down tune a guitar with the pitch shifter of the axe fx.
So, f.e. I can play with my drop D tuned guitar and hear it like in drop C?

How does it sound compared to a real down tuned guitar?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Dunno the numbers, but I myself run it together with an Matrix GT800FX poweramp and bogner 4x12 cab

Both. I have a Matrix GT1000FX power amp that I run to my cab, but I also run my axe to the front of house. Periphery does the same thing. They have cabs or monitors on stage and run to FOH.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I also do both, output one goes to FOH, output two goes to my matrix and then framus 2x12.