LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really? Were you able to update the firmware with the 1010LT? I spent months trying to figure out why I couldn't update my firmware, but when I got a new PreSonus interface, it worked flawlessly, so I assumed the M-Audio card just wasn't compatible with the Axe-FX for firmware updates.

I just hooked it up and it worked :lol:

Haven't used it for firmware, I used the USB cable as that was all I had this morning. I don't see why it wouldn't work though!? Truth of the matter is... the Axe is just screwey when it comes to midi.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Will the firestudio having a MIDI I/O be able to handle the duties of lets say a Midisport 2x2? I need to be assured that i can update firmware and edit/upload patches via Axe-Edit with the FireStudio!

Thanks!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 2x2, but I already pretty much said in my post that it works just fine for Axe-Edit.

rasse

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I think somewhere under I/O or system menus is the option to mirror output 1 to output 2 - I may have that backwards though. You should check in there and see that you are in fact sending out the same signal from the Axe to your RP5's AND your Lexicon.

An easy way to check would be to unplug the lines going from the Axe to your RP5s and just plug them straight into the Lexicon. If you have sound, you should be good to go. Also note that on the Lexicon, at least for me, I have it set to 100% wet. That is the wet/dry mix knob at the bottom next to the front input jack on the Lexi is set 100% clockwise, to about 5 o'clock or whatever it is.

Hope that helps!

I switched the copy out1 to out2 mode to ON from the I/O settings but that doesn't affect anything. When Im plugged straight into the Lexicon it gives me all the flickering lights and stuff you're supposed to have but when I try to record anything it just gives me a straight line with nothing. And if I have the guitar connected straight into the Axe it only lights up the lowest light of the four on the front panel of the Lexicon. The peak light stays unlit. Monitor mix knobs are fully turned to Direct and Line 3 knob is at 5 o'clock.

I think it's about my computer not recognizing the Lexicon. The driver options you get with the Lexicon are not working I think. If I try to open the options for it nothing happens. I guess I'll reinstall everything and see if that helps.

Edit. Also in Cubase LE 4 (the one you get with the Lexicon) when I try to switch the VST Audio System from the Devices setup from ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver to Omega ASIO it shows an error message that says mon Files and just switches back to the original setting. What the hell?

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
I switched the copy out1 to out2 mode to ON from the I/O settings but that doesn't affect anything. When Im plugged straight into the Lexicon it gives me all the flickering lights and stuff you're supposed to have but when I try to record anything it just gives me a straight line with nothing. And if I have the guitar connected straight into the Axe it only lights up the lowest light of the four on the front panel of the Lexicon. The peak light stays unlit. Monitor mix knobs are fully turned to Direct and Line 3 knob is at 5 o'clock.

I think it's about my computer not recognizing the Lexicon. The driver options you get with the Lexicon are not working I think. If I try to open the options for it nothing happens. I guess I'll reinstall everything and see if that helps.

Edit. Also in Cubase LE 4 (the one you get with the Lexicon) when I try to switch the VST Audio System from the Devices setup from ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver to Omega ASIO it shows an error message that says mon Files and just switches back to the original setting. What the hell?

Ahhh yes, the joys of setting up Cubase. I remember those days. OK, here's my setup, this is what works for me and my Axe/Lexi/PC. Hope it helps:

1. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3
2. Under the "Device Manager" in Windows, my Lexicon is recognized as: "Lexicon USB MIDI Device (Port 1) and another device labeled "Lexicon Win USB Audio 3-4"
3. Under Cubase's VST Connections, I have ONE Bus, labeled Stereo In (Left & Right), speakers are stereo, Audio Device is ASIO4ALL v2, device port is Win USB 3-4 In Only1 (mapped to Left) and WIN USB 3-4 In Only2 (mapped to right)
4. I have it saved as a Preset as AxeFX-LR so it's easier to swap around when creating projects, etc
5. Under Device Setup, I have ASIO4All v2 selected as my ASIO Driver. Input/Output latency is 9.00ms
6. All other device option settings are left to their defaults. I didn't tweak, add or change any other settings, other than the ASIO4ALL v2 software driver, where I dialed the sliders around till I got to the 9ms latency. In a perfect world, there probably wouldn't be any latency, but whatever. It's something you have to live with and you want it low, sub 10ms if at all possible. Just know that if you dial it too low (the ASIO driver I mean), it will not work, or work very well. DEFINITELY look up the ASIO4ALL v2 driver and download it. I stopped using the factory Lexi driver immediately because of high latency and hassles.
7. I have both Output1 and Output2 mirrored.
8. On my Lexi, for stereo sound, I have my axe plugged in (into the XLR MIC input 1 & MIC input 2). And then for the KRKs, I go out Line-Out L-R.
9. On the front of the Lexi, I have Mic 1 & Mic 2 trims at about 10 o'clock. The USB assign button is pushed so that GREEN LED is lit up under 3-4. On the next row down, I have that USB assign button pushed so that the RED LED is lit up under 1-2. The rest of my trims are at 7 o'clock and none of the buttons are pushed in or selected/lit-up, save for the Meter Assign which is lit up blue, on the LEFT. Monitor mix is 5 o'clock and Output level is 10 o'clock.
10. In Cubase, with this setup, I create a MONO audio track and select whichever Left or Right channel I want to record. If I want a stereo take, say because I'm lazy or some shit, I'll create TWO mono tracks, then pan them hard Left and Right, and select their inputs as Stereo in Left and Stereo in Right respectively.

So to summarize. Get the ASIO4ALL drivers. If you don't already have them. Double check Windows' device manager to see if/how the Lexi is recognized by your system. Select the ASIO4ALL driver in Device Setup in Cubase, be sure you have everything plugged in properly. Be sure to set that front panel on the Lexi like I have mine and it *should* work.

That's how I do it anyway, not saying mine is the right, or even best way, but that's what works for me.

Hope that helps :yesway:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really? Were you able to update the firmware with the 1010LT? I spent months trying to figure out why I couldn't update my firmware, but when I got a new PreSonus interface, it worked flawlessly, so I assumed the M-Audio card just wasn't compatible with the Axe-FX for firmware updates.

Ok Tom you're not crazy :lol:

Just tried to update to 10.01 and... FAIL!

Used my $5 USB>MIDI adapter and it worked fine :lol:

I don't get it... the 1010LT works great for everything else and the cheap adapter is almost unusable in axe-edit... but the 1010lt won't do firmware upgrades and the cheapie will :lol:

Truth of the matter is... the Axe is just screwey when it comes to midi.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I hope I don't sound like an ass when I say that on some level I'm glad you failed, too. :lol:

There's a 10.01 already? Shit, that was quick. I guess that's what happens when firmware gets leaked before it's ready to be released officially, though.

rasse

Reaction score
Ahhh yes, the joys of setting up Cubase. I remember those days. OK, here's my setup, this is what works for me and my Axe/Lexi/PC. Hope it helps:

1. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3
2. Under the "Device Manager" in Windows, my Lexicon is recognized as: "Lexicon USB MIDI Device (Port 1) and another device labeled "Lexicon Win USB Audio 3-4"
3. Under Cubase's VST Connections, I have ONE Bus, labeled Stereo In (Left & Right), speakers are stereo, Audio Device is ASIO4ALL v2, device port is Win USB 3-4 In Only1 (mapped to Left) and WIN USB 3-4 In Only2 (mapped to right)
4. I have it saved as a Preset as AxeFX-LR so it's easier to swap around when creating projects, etc
5. Under Device Setup, I have ASIO4All v2 selected as my ASIO Driver. Input/Output latency is 9.00ms
6. All other device option settings are left to their defaults. I didn't tweak, add or change any other settings, other than the ASIO4ALL v2 software driver, where I dialed the sliders around till I got to the 9ms latency. In a perfect world, there probably wouldn't be any latency, but whatever. It's something you have to live with and you want it low, sub 10ms if at all possible. Just know that if you dial it too low (the ASIO driver I mean), it will not work, or work very well. DEFINITELY look up the ASIO4ALL v2 driver and download it. I stopped using the factory Lexi driver immediately because of high latency and hassles.
7. I have both Output1 and Output2 mirrored.
8. On my Lexi, for stereo sound, I have my axe plugged in (into the XLR MIC input 1 & MIC input 2). And then for the KRKs, I go out Line-Out L-R.
9. On the front of the Lexi, I have Mic 1 & Mic 2 trims at about 10 o'clock. The USB assign button is pushed so that GREEN LED is lit up under 3-4. On the next row down, I have that USB assign button pushed so that the RED LED is lit up under 1-2. The rest of my trims are at 7 o'clock and none of the buttons are pushed in or selected/lit-up, save for the Meter Assign which is lit up blue, on the LEFT. Monitor mix is 5 o'clock and Output level is 10 o'clock.
10. In Cubase, with this setup, I create a MONO audio track and select whichever Left or Right channel I want to record. If I want a stereo take, say because I'm lazy or some shit, I'll create TWO mono tracks, then pan them hard Left and Right, and select their inputs as Stereo in Left and Stereo in Right respectively.

So to summarize. Get the ASIO4ALL drivers. If you don't already have them. Double check Windows' device manager to see if/how the Lexi is recognized by your system. Select the ASIO4ALL driver in Device Setup in Cubase, be sure you have everything plugged in properly. Be sure to set that front panel on the Lexi like I have mine and it *should* work.

That's how I do it anyway, not saying mine is the right, or even best way, but that's what works for me.

Hope that helps :yesway:

This right here folks is the reason why I love this forum so much. The help and in-depth assistance you get here is unmatched. I will go through this first thing tomorrow morning!

Edit: also the tone on Enditol's newest songs is just unbelievable. The tone is so tight it makes me want to cry. I do know that the guy is registered on the forums but does anyone have any insight info on what kind of amps or cabs he used whilst recording the songs on his myspace? (http://www.myspace.com/ENDITOL) Im sure that most of the people here agree that the tone is really, really good.

I did everything you told me to and all the lights flicker on the Lexicon like they're supposed to but I just cant get my computer to get the audio signal in. The Lexicon stuff is enabled in Device Manager, VST Connections are like they're supposed to etc. The latency is quite high (15-ish) but I dont think that's the reason for it not working. God this shit is infuriating. On top of all this fiddling my cheap desk microphone stopped working.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
hey guys, i just downloaded the AXE EDIT and its basically a software version of the axe fx interface right?

anyways i began making patches for the hell of it (i dont actualy own the axe fx yet) and to get an idea of how much stuff you can do i ran 2 amps and 2 cabs and a bunch of effects, to see how much i could do before i filled up the CPU... so my question is is the CPU on the axe edit modeled after the axe fx standard or ultra?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hey guys, i just downloaded the AXE EDIT and its basically a software version of the axe fx interface right?

anyways i began making patches for the hell of it (i dont actualy own the axe fx yet) and to get an idea of how much stuff you can do i ran 2 amps and 2 cabs and a bunch of effects, to see how much i could do before i filled up the CPU... so my question is is the CPU on the axe edit modeled after the axe fx standard or ultra?

You can switch between the two in settings. I think it is Ultra by default.

Wiz

Reaction score
I asked this question on the AxeFX forums, but either nobody has the answer or they don't feel like sharing :)

I got myself a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal the other day, and it's recognized just fine by the AxeFX. I wanted to try it out as a wah pedal with a random patch, and the wah is indeed activated by it. Unfortunately only about 10% of its movement range really affects the way, and the remaining 90% of the pedal range baaaarely makes a difference. It seems like it's just no using the whole range equally.

I already calibrated it, but that never seemed to make a difference. Has anybody dealt with this before?

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
I asked this question on the AxeFX forums, but either nobody has the answer or they don't feel like sharing :)

I got myself a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal the other day, and it's recognized just fine by the AxeFX. I wanted to try it out as a wah pedal with a random patch, and the wah is indeed activated by it. Unfortunately only about 10% of its movement range really affects the way, and the remaining 90% of the pedal range baaaarely makes a difference. It seems like it's just no using the whole range equally.

I already calibrated it, but that never seemed to make a difference. Has anybody dealt with this before?

Can't say that I've had that problem.........my Mission Engineering Expression pedal works just fine.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Got everything up and running. The axe is going into my firestudio mobile , and that's going into my computer. I'm running into the issue where in axe editor, the status is always "Check Midi settings". Thanks to this , I haven't been able to update to 10.0 , or even start working with patches through the software. I've read a bunch of fixes for this, but they involve getting totally different interfaces?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stupid question, but did you check your midi settings to be sure the midi devices, sysex id, and channel are set correctly? Also always double check your wiring, as I have at least once been 100% sure I plugged it in correctly only to discover I crossed cables.

If both of those are yes, check the midi buffer size under editor settings. I had to drop mine from the default 256 to 128 to get the firmware update and impulse uploading to work (though this doesn't sound like your problem, as I was able to change patches etc).

Bevo

Reaction score
Guys

One thing I love about my Mesa is that powerful palm muted thump and the power it has behind it.
Does your AXE and a SS amp still do that for you?
If so how much watts?
I am thinking Adcom or Brystrom (sp?) in 200w per channel.

Thanks

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Pulling the trigger! Going with the new Carvin DCM200L, simply because it outputs 200w @ 16 ohms, and only weighs 4 pounds. Keeping this bitch as light as possible is going to be all kinds of fucking KEY. It's looking like the racks going to end up in the 60-65 pounds range once it's finished. This is AWESOME since I can actually lift the bastard, and it's being run through my awesome little 2x12.

I'm still unsure about which model to get. If I get the standard, All the amp, and cab sims are the same, but I don't get a few things. One that bothers me is the complete lack of a noise gate in the axe-edit's "standard" setting, but there is one in the "ultra" setting. Anyone care to explain why i don't see an option for "noise gate" in the axe-edit?i know the ultra has a couple "gate/expander"s that the standard does not. Is the noise gate physically on the axe-fx?

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Pulling the trigger! Going with the new Carvin DCM200L, simply because it outputs 200w @ 16 ohms, and only weighs 4 pounds. Keeping this bitch as light as possible is going to be all kinds of fucking KEY. It's looking like the racks going to end up in the 60-65 pounds range once it's finished. This is AWESOME since I can actually lift the bastard, and it's being run through my awesome little 2x12.

I'm still unsure about which model to get. If I get the standard, All the amp, and cab sims are the same, but I don't get a few things. One that bothers me is the complete lack of a noise gate in the axe-edit's "standard" setting, but there is one in the "ultra" setting. Anyone care to explain why i don't see an option for "noise gate" in the axe-edit?i know the ultra has a couple "gate/expander"s that the standard does not. Is the noise gate physically on the axe-fx?

Congrats on jumping off the cliff! I'm sure some will argue that you don't *need* all the extra stuff the Ultra comes with, but it my book, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. My advice, get the Ultra. It's worth the $500 and you never know if/when you'll feel the need to create some crazy patch that maxes the standard, or Cliff releases some new amp/cab/effect that won't run on the Standard. I know it hasn't happened, but you never know...

The gate you're talking about is loaded with every patch, page 3 -> over from name / move effect. To my knowledge it is "pre" everything else. You can dial it up as needed or turn it off entirely and use a gate in your chain of effects, or go without a gate altogether.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is if you're using models, the models don't generate any noise by themselves since they're digital, so you don't need to put the gate AFTER everything. It works just as well where it is, directly after the input.