boltzthrower

Reaction score
Going with the new Carvin DCM200L,

I've been lookin' into trying a decent solid state power amp myself.

I've got a Behringer EP2500 which I normally use for my PA, it has 500 watts per channel at 8 ohm, but it kind of sounds like turd, it's incredibly dark sounding, you have to boost the high mids insanely to make it sound decent for guitar. Has anyone else had this same experience when using power amps that are intended for PA use?

Are the Carvins voiced better? I keep reading that the ART SLA's are very transparent. Gotta wonder about these new light weight Peavey amps as well Peavey.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I actually had a brand new DCM200L... for a few weeks before trading it in for a TS100.

My 2 cents: If you're going solid state for cost, weight, simplicity, etc., get a higher wattage 2 rack space unit. You always want to be using only a fraction of the available power to stay far far away from any solid state distortion. Extra solid state power is relatively cheap.

iff

Reaction score
Guys

One thing I love about my Mesa is that powerful palm muted thump and the power it has behind it.
Does your AXE and a SS amp still do that for you?

If so how much watts?
I am thinking Adcom or Brystrom (sp?) in 200w per channel.

Thanks

I'm curious about this as well.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I actually had a brand new DCM200L... for a few weeks before trading it in for a TS100.

My 2 cents: If you're going solid state for cost, weight, simplicity, etc., get a higher wattage 2 rack space unit. You always want to be using only a fraction of the available power to stay far far away from any solid state distortion. Extra solid state power is relatively cheap.

I REALLY don't want a 2 space power amp. Nor do I want to have it weigh a million pounds. The Carvin seemed like the best choice as far as price, weight, and size. I looked at the velocity, but my cab is 16ohms, which makes finding a power amp for it a MAJOR pain in the ass. The carvin outputs the highest power I can find @16 ohms. Along with being a single rack space, and only 4lbs.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Guys

One thing I love about my Mesa is that powerful palm muted thump and the power it has behind it.
Does your AXE and a SS amp still do that for you?
If so how much watts?
I am thinking Adcom or Brystrom (sp?) in 200w per channel.

Thanks

I would like to know this as well :D

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I REALLY don't want a 2 space power amp. Nor do I want to have it weigh a million pounds. The Carvin seemed like the best choice as far as price, weight, and size. I looked at the velocity, but my cab is 16ohms, which makes finding a power amp for it a MAJOR pain in the ass. The carvin outputs the highest power I can find @16 ohms. Along with being a single rack space, and only 4lbs.

Believe me, I understand the desire for a small light rig. I have a GSP1101 which is also only 1 ru. With my power supply I was using just 3 ru in a 4 ru shallow case. I think it was like 27 pounds total. Hard to get much lighter and smaller than that in rack gear.

Wattage ratings can be a tricky thing. It's a number at a given thd (total harmonic distortion). If you compare the specs on a Carvin DCM200L with a DCM1000 for example, you'll see the larger unit delivers a cleaner signal.

iff

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to set up some nice Neurosis/Isis kind of tones with the AxeFX?

zephyrkillz

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been having problems updating my firmware via midi through my Firepod. The Axe Edit software doesnt recognize it nor can I select a MIDI in or out in the audio connections/MIDI setup. If anyone could walk me through the steps or if anyone has a similar setup, help would be greatly appreciated. Also, would I need two midi cables for this, or just one for the out on the axe fx?

Thanks!

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
With the Atomic Monoblock do you still run the power amp sims even though its tube?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been having problems updating my firmware via midi through my Firepod. The Axe Edit software doesnt recognize it nor can I select a MIDI in or out in the audio connections/MIDI setup. If anyone could walk me through the steps or if anyone has a similar setup, help would be greatly appreciated. Also, would I need two midi cables for this, or just one for the out on the axe fx?

Thanks!

For the Axe-FX to communicate back and forth with the software, you'll need two cables.

With the Atomic Monoblock do you still run the power amp sims even though its tube?

Yes. It's a tube power amp, but it's still designed to be flat.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
50W is what, 10% less loud than 100 ? It's plenty enough if you don't play arenas with a 20 meters deep stage.

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
50W is what, 10% less loud than 100 ? It's plenty enough if you don't play arenas with a 20 meters deep stage.

Fully cranked its around 3 dB less than 100 W. So the 50 tube block should be more than enough.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it loud enough for band practice/gigs? 50W seems like it might not cut it.

The issue is headroom, not volume.
For band practice and gigs, even 20 watts would probably be enough.
It's just that 100 watts stays tighter under more volume and will distort less.

Wiz

Reaction score
So I got myself a mission SP-2R pedal, one channel used for wah and the second channel used for volume.

I read that there's supposedly a way to integrate a wah and a volume block into each one of my patches globally so I don't actually have to edit each patch individually to fit them in. Is that true, and if so how do I make it work?

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just felt I needed to post this... for anyone who thinks the editing window on the Axe is too small ;)

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up an Ultra fairly soon and I've been doing alot of research, my question is is the Art SLA-2 bridged 560 watts mono @ 8 ohms going into an 8 ohm Mesa cab going to be powerful enough?

Currently I run an EVH 5150 III at about 3 on the volume and it has 4 6L6 power tubes and I would like to get the same "thump" and feel from my cab on stage that I do with my EVH.

Can the Art provide that at 560 SS watts or should I go for a higher powered Carvin? I just really like the idea of having a light weight 1 space rack power amp to cut down on the rack weight.