Peavey 6505 1992 original playthrough

• Thread starter BadSeed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You always seem to do videos of amps I just happen to be considering at the time, lol. I just finished watching your Mark III, IV, V, too. Keep up the work, man!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Then they can just go from Kyle -> you.
Seriously.

Watching @BadSeed ’s channel and seeing his for sale posts on Instagram, is kind of like viewing a new and full on metal version of Tone Merchants.

Gives me an idea: Kyle, you should set up your place like a gear nerd’s Bed and Breakfast/AirBNB. Or go full on amp brothel.

The Best Little Tone House in PA.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, the branding just seems wrong to me. I get that the 5150 branding is Eddie and Peavey can’t use it without Eddie’s estate’s approval, but it seems wrong. Maybe I’m just getting old.

I guess they can do this if they want but it seems a bit desperate to me.

Of course they know that the 5150 is the legendary amp, not the 6505, so they go "but it IS a 5150!!! It iiiis a 5150!!"

Like yeah yeah, whatever. You'd think if the amp was good that'd be enough. Oh well, it's probably a smart marketing move. I suppose if they focus on how it looks maybe they can make people forget it's MIC.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought one of the most interesting things Kyle said in that video was about how the amp can now take EL34s? That seems pretty cool considering how the 6534 is highly regarded and is pretty rare. I've never tried one of those.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with 6L6s personally. I'm assuming it would sound just a little bit different with EL34s, and probably not in a way I'd like.

Gmork

Reaction score
Seriously.

Watching @BadSeed ’s channel and seeing his for sale posts on Instagram, is kind of like viewing a new and full on metal version of Tone Merchants.

Gives me an idea: Kyle, you should set up your place like a gear nerd’s Bed and Breakfast/AirBNB. Or go full on amp brothel.

The Best Little Tone House in PA.
This amp is sticky! I want to talk to the manager!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought one of the most interesting things Kyle said in that video was about how the amp can now take EL34s? That seems pretty cool considering how the 6534 is highly regarded and is pretty rare. I've never tried one of those.
Yeah, that’s cool. It’s almost like 2 amps, in that sense.

Is it possible to run both 6L6 and EL34 at the same time? I’m not sure if it has that capability, or what.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I thought the issue was the bias range couldnt quite accommodate EL34 without some light modding. Is that fixed now?

owlexifry

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s cool. It’s almost like 2 amps, in that sense.

Is it possible to run both 6L6 and EL34 at the same time? I’m not sure if it has that capability, or what.
not at the same time, but you can mod them to run either or.

I thought the issue was the bias range couldnt quite accommodate EL34 without some light modding. Is that fixed now?
not just bias,

- EL34 pulls more current (1.6 amps per EL34 vs. 0.9 amps per 6L6GC) at the AC heaters (pins 4,5 + 9) than 6L6.
so the power transformer would need to be spec'd to handle at least (1.6 x 4) 6.5 amps on the 6.3V heater winding. (6L6GC would only require 4 amps min.)

- EL34 flows more screen current -> hence screen resistors would need to be upgraded from 100 ohm (factory value for 6L6) to 1K ohm (5W min.)

- EL34 requires the suppressor grid to be tied to the cathode (pin 8 to pin 1) - a simple jumper mod can sort this (in 6L6GC - pin 8 is internally tied to pin 1, so this jumper isn't necessary for 6L6).

with these mods, and the bias voltage control modified to an appropriate range, you could run either EL34 or 6L6GC.
(although 6L6GC would run better with lower ohm screen resistors... you could opt for something in between 470ohm-1K to be able to accommodate both EL34 + 6L6, but it's probably better to just choose the ideal screen resistor value for the tube type).

reference: