Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Aw I thought you meant "Since you Been Gone" by Rainbow!

Also it may be, but Spencer's voice is infamously polarising from Periphery's fans.

On the topic of his voice; One Direction or Black Veil Brides (similarities in vox and not instrumentally) fans may like it because it's very 'pretty' and clean sounding. I think good examples are the end of Luck as a Constant and the chorus in Facepalm Mute and Ji. It's a very particular style, reminiscent of mid-2000 emo bands and like I said, boybands. The guitarwork is inspired by Meshuggah, SikTh, Extol and KSE, from what I hear/read,all of whom eschew that particular vocal style, and so I think it's a validated argument that the Spencer's style may be offputting to fans of the instrumental elements.

Girls and early teen boys generally flock to that 'sound' , and that's fine, but I can understand why older fans find it offputting. And I'm all for cleans in metal/progressive...Tommy Giles, Rody Walker and Mikael Akerfeldt are just 3 of my favourite vocalists.

I also want to reiterate I am NOT an idiot "m3talzZ or gtfo" elitist and a genuine fan of Periphery, and not using the examples I gave as flamebate, just for illustrious purposes. I understand this may just be the limitations of my own personal taste, and this is just my own take on the matter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Yeah, his voice isn't exactly standard for this genre, but I kind of like it because of that, it makes the band unique. I don't think I've even seen people complain for any other band to make an instrumental version of their album, it's kind of weird.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm not particularly interested in an instrumental album, because I do love Spencer's voice. That said, are there any plans for instrumental songs on the new album? I felt like Zero and Extraneous were some of the more interesting tracks, instrumentally, from the band's discography, and would love to hear more stuff in that vein (but, again, in context of an album that has vocals). Hell, I would enjoy hearing something similar to Extraneous with vocals, because Spencer's unclean vocals have gotten monstrous.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
c'mon folks, we are better than this.
No I'm not.

Plus, if it's discussion and not some vitriol-laden drunken capslock-fest of arguing I don't see the issue.

p.s LOL is your name a reference to Chris De Burgh's 'Don't Pay the Ferryman'? That's brilliant!

bulb

Reaction score
Just wondering, what would be the harm in releasing an instrumental version as well? Is it financial risks? In which case I can completely understand. I'm not asking for it because for me Spencer's vocals are one of the highlights of Periphery.

I understand the reasoning behind no instrumental PII but it seems to me that there is still a pretty large portion of Periphery's fanbase who are just into the instrumentation. I feelnlike they still deserve something for their support.

We put out the music that we want to put out in the format that we want to put it out in. People aren't forced to listen to it, so we are happy there are some people who enjoy it, but obviously not everyone will, and we wouldn't do something that goes against our vision just to please some people. In fact, to me that is the very definition of selling out.

bulb

Reaction score
In other news:
tumblr_n6h2sg1O811tb6yqlo1_1280.jpg

Sebski

Reaction score
We put out the music that we want to put out in the format that we want to put it out in. People aren't forced to listen to it, so we are happy there are some people who enjoy it, but obviously not everyone will, and we wouldn't do something that goes against our vision just to please some people. In fact, to me that is the very definition of selling out.

Fair play. Makes sense.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
So Misha, why was it you picked up the Peavey amps? Just jamming?

I tried out the Valveking Micro at guitar center today after watching that vid of Nolly playing, sweet sweet dicks in my mouth it sounded fantastic with an overdrive in front and through a H&K Tubemeister 1x12

bulb

Reaction score
So Misha, why was it you picked up the Peavey amps? Just jamming?

I tried out the Valveking Micro at guitar center today after watching that vid of Nolly playing, sweet sweet dicks in my mouth it sounded fantastic with an overdrive in front and through a H&K Tubemeister 1x12

For recording the album as well as future productions, good to have lots of options!

Yeah I was honestly very surprised, I feel like I tried a Valveking once and thought it was horrendous, didn't have the highest hopes for the VK2 Micro, but it looks like they put some work into it!

Alex C

Reaction score

Mr. Bulbous,

I think this issue was clouded early on by the ungrateful detractors who had selfish motives and obnoxious methods. I believe there are many less vocal, more level-headed fans who understand exactly what you stated above: that a Periphery album is a finished product and is intended to exist in one final form. To us, anything else that you fellows choose to make available is a bonus and a complement to the official release.

It seems that a large percentage of your fans are musicians themselves, particularly guitarists. For us, isolated stems or instrumental tracks offer access to the intricacies and details of the individual instruments and provide a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into the final, finished product. They're also a great aid for learning and practicing, and they're able to be listened to as an approximation of the real deal while working, studying, etc.

Is it possible that something like this could be sold as individual tracks online (to make it clear that it's not an "alternate version" of an album), or included in the Mega Deluxe Edition goodies alongside things like posters and Axe-Fx presets? Some of the dillholes and detractors may think they "got their way," but a much larger group consisting of true fans will appreciate you and your supple companions all the more.

His Highness alluded to this in an interview after the release of Black Clouds and Silver Linings:
"IC: Do you think there will be a DVD coming out for this?

JP: I’m sure everything will happen. One of the things that helps us to grow and survive is releasing a lot of different things. Even with this album, the way it came out with the instrumental version, the cover CD and the box set. Because we’re not the kind of band that’s plastered all over the radio, I think that our fans expect more and I think it’s important to do that. You’ll see a lot of bands doing that, where it’s not the norm to just put out the CD – there’s a whole bunch of different things that come along with that. I think it’s partly due to the age we’re in, and we’re happy to do it. So I’m sure there’ll be more DVDs and everything else to come."

- Guitar Lessons, Interviews, News, Reviews, & More | Guitar Messenger – John Petrucci Interview (2009)

In conclusion, I love you and your body (of work).

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
:deadhrse::deadhrse::deadhrse:

Omg. Seriously stop. It's Misha's and the rest of Periphery's music. He's expressed again and again that he doesn't want to nor will he do this. As a band they have decided not to do something like this. Nothing anyone says will change that. There's no forcing anyone to do something in this world; at this point its getting to be beyond trying to persuade him and starting become extremely rude. They've heard all the same arguments again and again.

Nothing against you personally but you have to understand its tiresome. I've listened to Misha's music since the demo days too and enjoyed his instrumental works. I'm ecstatic he's become this popular.

Misha is extremely accessible to his fans which is fantastic and something unusual for a larger band. Don't make him regret it, not that he will, since he's nice enough to not let stuff like this get to him. It's almost as bad as the people who as what he makes, asking super personal questions about his girlfriend, or some other thing that makes me think they want him to put the lotion in the basket :noplease:... I don't know how he deals with it.

End rant - Sorry... I'm just getting tired of this. I'm not trying to be a jerk but enough is enough. Misha's responded to this countless times. I would just ignore it at this point but again he's a better man than I.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
-double post-

edit:

Love the Axe-FX tower.

Misha
Misha..
NollyNollyNollyNollyNolly.....

Alex C

Reaction score
I'm aware that this has been discussed since the dawn of time, and I was trying to make a distinction that I think is important. I wanted to differentiate between an "instrumental release" and supplemental bonus material.

What I've seen on SS.org in the past is a wave of negativity from an entitled group of complainers focused on demanding a second version of each album to suit their own desires and tastes.

What I haven't seen articulated effectively, and what I was attempting to express above, is an interest not in an alternate version or a dumbed-down final product to placate the detractors, but in supplemental material to the official release that could be used for closer analysis by those with a greater appreciation for the sweet music these gentle men are making together. No mandates, no complaining, just attempting to approach this topic from an angle I haven't seen voiced very well before.

I'm not beating the horse; I'm trying to do CPR in case it's not fully dead yet. :)

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
I mean the answer has been: no instrumental album.

But if you want tracks and stuff they have done this before for PII: This Time It's Personal.

Jammit Featuring Periphery | Jammit

The band is still pretty early into the album process and they might have something new or similar planned depending on how well that worked for them. Who knows, just be patient haha!