Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Mayhew

Reaction score
1. The band is a six piece, not five
2. This question has been asked and answered a thousand times, see number 1
3. To ask this question now makes you "that guy" this album cycle.
4. There's an App for that, all you need is money and thou shalt receive in due time
5. Periphery probably wish they never released that friggin' instrumental album!

All in good fun of course but the app lets you pick and choose the parts and instrument tracks you want for learning purposes to satisfy those who need to turn down the Sotelomophone. That's as close as you're gonna get I would imagine. Honestly, I have the instrumental version of The Ocean's newest album and I've never listened to it. Not because I don't think it'd be cool but it's just so good the way it is I can never bring myself to listen to a different or potentially lesser version (even though I think it's cool that it came with both haha).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Yeah but Loïc from the Ocean sound like Alesha Dixon...

And I don't think many people, if there were to be some kind of survey, would vote for an instrumental version of an album by the Ocean. Yet I imagine a fair % of Periphery fans would.

It's as much for listening as learning really. And I am NOT trying to create an argument here, I'll take the points given above as a valid answer (I assume you're quoting a band member)

bulb

Reaction score
Awesome! I was going to ask what those new mfc-101s were for since you guys have been doing midi changes live.

We are using those for jamming, but we also should be able to hook those up live without them interfering with computer patch changes since these ones hook up via xlr. This way we could override computer patches if we want to change things up/improvise or if something goes wrong.

I know it's early days but do you reckon you guys will release an instrumental edition of the next release? Nothing against Sotelo but I think the musicianship of the band holds up by itself, and gives the music a different vibe (the first record's instrumental version is a testament to this). Plus having the option is always a bonus!

There won't be an instrumental version. P1 was slated to have an instrumental before Spencer was even in the band and we went through with that because it wasn't really a true band effort or collaboration. The vocals to P1 were written by so many different people and in a lot of cases were treated as an afterthought. As of PII, we are working as a collaborative unit and we want our vision to be fulfilled the way we see fit, so there was no instrumental of that album and there won't be moving forward either.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Misha whatever happened to the Spector that you used in your early All New Materials vid, is it long since sold? Was is USA or Import?

I always liked how exotic the Spector sixers were with the pup covers and all

Mayhew

Reaction score
Yeah but Loïc from the Ocean sound like Alesha Dixon...

And I don't think many people, if there were to be some kind of survey, would vote for an instrumental version of an album by the Ocean. Yet I imagine a fair % of Periphery fans would.

It's as much for listening as learning really. And I am NOT trying to create an argument here, I'll take the points given above as a valid answer (I assume you're quoting a band member)

No worries man, just making a bit of fun. Most people sound like entitled douches and open the flood gates when asking for another instrumental album but your post wasn't offensive so I figured I'd be first and throw a lighthearted jab before it inevitably went downhill. I was going to speculate as well that the release of the P1 instrumental might have something to do with the fact that Misha's catalogue is instrumental and already had a following online for years and Spencer joining the band three weeks prior to recording might have something to do with it as well but I kept that to myself (you can do that on the Internet people) and Misha answered my own queries.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone remember that one guy who actually created a Facebook group demanding an instrumental version of PII?

Fun times. :lol:

EDIT: Found it. The shitshow starts on this page. Shame that the FB page has been taken down, it was comedy gold. :lol:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Anyone remember that one guy who actually created a Facebook group demanding an instrumental version of PII?

Fun times. :lol:

EDIT: Found it. The shitshow starts on this page. Shame that the FB page has been taken down, it was comedy gold. :lol:

God that kid was just... there weren't words then and there aren't words now. I can't believe he was legit. :lol:

I don't get people's fascination with music that was written for vocals to not have vocals. I mean, I listen to tons of Japanese singles that include the instrumental track but generally I don't listen to them, because you end up missing a really big part. I think the only point of instrumentals for bands like L'Arc En Ciel anyway is because they can easily be used for karaoke, not something I could say about Periphery's songs.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
People ask for instrumental version not realizing that what they really want is an album written without vocals in mind.

I have listened to Sotelo's solo stuff and it is fantastic. Hopefully he can carry that in to periphery more, as I like his timbre more there. JMO.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
One more question then; Now you've done the Florence and the Machine cover, will
there be any more covers by Periphery? If you could pick just one song to do, what would it be?

I loved the Michael Jackson one you did in the early days of the band!

Sebski

Reaction score
Just wondering, what would be the harm in releasing an instrumental version as well? Is it financial risks? In which case I can completely understand. I'm not asking for it because for me Spencer's vocals are one of the highlights of Periphery.

I understand the reasoning behind no instrumental PII but it seems to me that there is still a pretty large portion of Periphery's fanbase who are just into the instrumentation. I feelnlike they still deserve something for their support.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
One more question then; Now you've done the Florence and the Machine cover, will
there be any more covers by Periphery? If you could pick just one song to do, what would it be?

I loved the Michael Jackson one you did in the early days of the band!

Personally I would love for them to do Since You've Been Gone. That video of Spencer doing it in drunk karaoke was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NVMeCUaP8&feature=kp

Just wondering, what would be the harm in releasing an instrumental version as well? Is it financial risks? In which case I can completely understand. I'm not asking for it because for me Spencer's vocals are one of the highlights of Periphery.

I understand the reasoning behind no instrumental PII but it seems to me that there is still a pretty large portion of Periphery's fanbase who are just into the instrumentation. I feelnlike they still deserve something for their support.

Think about it from the prospective of an artist. You wouldn't want to release incomplete work, right? Well, with PII and any future albums, they're writing them with the vocal parts meant to be part of it. The first album had an instrumental only because the vocals were not made as part of the initial writing, so you could do some mental gymnastics to think of the instrumentals as complete. It'd be like showing portraits but you took out the face, or television shows with no voices.