Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

bulb

Reaction score
I think the Sentient Glow debate must be based on what you heard first, because to me the new SG is a stone cold banger. The older one doesn’t do it for me. I’m a huge fan of Spencer’s vocals on the new one (but I’m just having fun with it, so take that for what it’s worth).

This is often the case with music in general. With that said I’m glad that the majority of people who hear Sentient Glow will hear it realized in its best light with the P4 version.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
Reptile, and Crush are total bangers. Crush just grabs you by surprise when it appears on first playthrough, and had me loving it by 45 seconds in.

For me, I don't think there is anything I dislike in this release when looked at as a whole. It's just, once again, exactly what I wanted. Totally in love with this album!

Heres to hoping it ages as well as P2 and Juggernaut. P3 got bland real quick, imo.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
@bulb This album is excellent Misha. You can really tell the effort and care that went into the writing and the production.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m actually surprised to see so many people dig Crush, that one is really out there as a Periphery song and as much as I was super proud of how it came together I was also ready for the hate hahah.

Have you been listening to Muse?

(I'm enjoying Crush too)

ppinkham

Reaction score
I get really strange Hagar-era Eddie Van Halen guitar vibes off of some of the riffs in "It's Only Smiles." The opening riff especially. That could be on 5150.

penguin_316

Reaction score
The new album is a production masterpiece. I’m not sure it’s their best (safest?) songwriting, but it definitely grabbed me and was a needed change. P3 was just meh to me after such a strong outing on P2. P4 sounds like everything firing on all cylinders, and did I mention “It’s only smiles”?

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
I get really strange Hagar-era Eddie Van Halen guitar vibes off of some of the riffs in "It's Only Smiles." The opening riff especially. That could be on 5150.
Yea I’ve always gotten that with a lot of Mark’s riffs!
Put the intro to the song ‘5150’ on a lower tuning, modernize the tone a bit, and it wouldn’t be out of place between the more melodic Periphery songs.
And as you said the other way around as well, do a higher tuning, slap a chorus pedal on that chain and you got yourself some Eddie :D

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
What was the set list? Im going Thursday and bringing some more casual friends so want to make them a spotify playlist to familiarize.

The bad thing, marigold, garden in the bones, blood eagle, mark zero and close with Masamune I believe.

Attachments

• 00501B7A-4012-478F-A09D-B5C23DCD1359.jpeg
    00501B7A-4012-478F-A09D-B5C23DCD1359.jpeg
    955.5 KB · Views: 16

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Songs are hit and miss IMO. Very varied, so I expect that people will find things they like and dislike.

The production is incredible though. Guitar tones, bass, drums, vocals - all absolutely incredible.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Really liking the new album. I've got into it off of the bat alot quicker than P3, where whilst I dug a few tracks, the whole thing was more of a grower.

This album is a great continuation of everything Periphery imo. Crush is the track that took me by surprise which is cool.
But everything is really really well done. Blood eagle was a great lead in as a single too.

Keep up the amazing work folks.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Just finally got around to watching the documentary, and is that the Guthrie Govan sig that Mark is jamming on?