Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I think its their worst album so far. Vocals are worst so far too

Be sure to include your <meme> tags around your text next time.
Just a warning this time because I can clearly see you were just being silly, but next time I'll have to call the meme police.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Hockey game ended last night just afer midnight, just in time for spotify to have the album ready to go.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Ziricote. After two listens I really can't get my head around the album. Funny that people say it's their most cohesive work so far. Personally, I feel it's the complete opposite. Not a bad album but definitely doesn't have the impact that that PIII had, let alone PII.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Ziricote. After two listens I really can't get my head around the album. Funny that people say it's their most cohesive work so far. Personally, I feel it's the complete opposite. Not a bad album but definitely doesn't have the impact that that PIII had, let alone PII.
Interesting... I thought P3 was by far their weakest album. It was borderline boring metalcore and all around just lack luster. Spencer absolutely sounds the best he's ever sounded on P4. I haven't enjoyed a Periphery album this much since P2.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Interesting... I thought P3 was by far their weakest album. It was borderline boring metalcore and all around just lack luster. Spencer absolutely sounds the best he's ever sounded on P4. I haven't enjoyed a Periphery album this much since P2.

Yeah, same. P2 will always be peak for me, but this album killed.
Taste is subjective obviously, so I get that even though we dislike 3 you could totally like it (and vice versa for this record), but I find the critique of Sponce odd, to say the least. The improvement from him going from P3 -> P4 almost feels as drastic as it was from P1 -> P2. The control over his voice he demonstrates on this album (and Satellites in particular) is ridiculous.

Ziricote

Reaction score
There is phenomenal guitar work drumming vocals are outstanding in abilities but it seems a bit over done sometime in vocals. Song quality doesnt seem as strong but this could intentional. Album as whole doesnt give me feelings from previous releases. Maybe I need more listens.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Yeah, same. P2 will always be peak for me, but this album killed.
Taste is subjective obviously, so I get that even though we dislike 3 you could totally like it (and vice versa for this record), but I find the critique of Sponce odd, to say the least. The improvement from him going from P3 -> P4 almost feels as drastic as it was from P1 -> P2. The control over his voice he demonstrates on this album (and Satellites in particular) is ridiculous.
Basically feel the same. P3 started out as a high point in their discography for me but definitely faded faster then previous work. I really don't see that happening with P4. Spencer is on another level. Wider screaming range and vocal range then anything else they've put out with an insane amount of control to go along with it.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Yeah dude - his vocal control is unreal on this album. The crazy high stuff at the end of SG and Satellites gives me chills.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
There is phenomenal guitar work drumming vocals are outstanding in abilities but it seems a bit over done sometime in vocals. Song quality doesnt seem as strong but this could intentional. Album as whole doesnt give me feelings from previous releases. Maybe I need more listens.
I'd agree with Sentient Glow being kind of over done vocal wise. The vocals don't flow as well as they should and the lyric choice is a little meh even though I like the theme of them

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'd agree with Sentient Glow being kind of over done vocal wise. The vocals don't flow as well as they should and the lyric choice is a little meh even though I like the theme of them
Agreed. I still like it and Spencer did a solid job, but personally I think Chris' version flows with the song a lot better.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Agreed. I still like it and Spencer did a solid job, but personally I think Chris' version flows with the song a lot better.

This so much. The new SG was probably the biggest disappointment because it was the song I was waiting to hear most. I can see why they wanted to rewrite the lyrics and melodies but tbh, Chris absolutely nailed the song with his melodies. Spencer's are very lackluster in comparison and kinda sounds like he consciously wanted to make them as different as possible. The riffs are still dope and I'm glad they didn't do anything to them. :metal:

Edit: Btw, nobody else think that the outro of Crush sounds like the theme from Psycho (the movie)? That's the first thing that came to my mind.

Last edited:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Enjoying it so far, but boy did it take chutzpah to open with a 17 minute track.

Speaking of Reptile, who does that solo? It's pretty damn cool. Feels like could be Misha, but the tone sounds like Jake.

musicman61554

Reaction score
Enjoying it so far, but boy did it take chutzpah to open with a 17 minute track.

Speaking of Reptile, who does that solo? It's pretty damn cool. Feels like could be Misha, but the tone sounds like Jake.

Pretty sure that is Mark.

Also always great to read the reactions to the album. Some peeps hate it while others absolutely love it. I have been a fan since the Soundclick days and I absolutely LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the stem pack and really enjoy listening to everything separate too. Looking forward to doing some covers.

Latest posts