Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Finally got around to listening to the full album. I haven't been blown away this much by a Periphery album since PII when I was a wee university baby, it's really next level. Crush is a personal favorite just because of how synthy it is, but all the songs are awesome. There's not a single "meh" song for me on the whole record.

Bulb, you guys seriously outdid yourselves with this one, holy crap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't follow this thread very often, so I was surprised to go into a record store and see PIV on the shelf of new releases alongside like, Blue Nile reissues. I didn't know it was even in the works. That first track in particular is really great!

MrYakob

Reaction score
Am I going crazy or does the guitar on the right behind Mark in the Reptile play through look suspiciously like an SE 7....

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
What have you guys done? The album is amazing front to back. definitely loved Blood Eagle when it was released and expected it to be my favorite on the album, but then Crush happened. It's such a good track. The driving synths, the NIN vibes, the 80s vibes. The mix with the standard periphery instrumentation.

Satellites also is up there for me. Love how quiet it is and then you just get punched in the chest part way through and it doesn't let up.

Also, Garden in the Bones. That is probably my number 2 on this album. Spence is a monster.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
You know what's funny is that I'm one of those guys that rolled their eyes at the soft songs on each disc- I never disliked them, but they were never my jam or the reason why I listened to the album. I usually skipped them.

Now for this record, I think it's a tossup between It's Only Smiles and Satellites for my favorite song of the release- both of which I'd say are definitely classed as 'softer' songs. Even when the heavier stuff is some of the best heavy stuff they've put out.

What a bitchin' album. I seriously can't get over it.

Last edited:

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Initial thoughts:

- Mix is wicked. Everything sits really well
- Spencer sounds like a fucking god
- Everyone's performance is amazing

As for the songs themselves, just can't gel with them. Still, an awesome effort by everyone involved!

chinnybob

Reaction score
I think this album's a grower for me, after three or four spins I'm definitely starting to get it. Not necessarily a bad thing, some of my favourite albums haven't grabbed me the first time round, but this is the first time a Periphery album hasn't blown my socks off straight away. You can hear how much everyone is improving and growing as musicians, I'm just not sure the songs are as strong on this one. Preferred PIII I think.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
It'd be nice if Misha can chip in on this: was watching that Reptile playthrough Mark did and I was wondering what gauge was used on that low G. Is that on a regular 25.5" Holcomb SE?

Demartan

mediocre
Reaction score
Is it low G or low A? I was pretty sure that they tune like this AGCFAD
It’s GGCFAD on Reptile (so akin to Sikth’s AADGBE tuning)
Looks like a limited run SE so standard 25.5; from what I read on instagram iirc it’s recorded with a 25.5 (Evertune equipped) guitar. No idea about the gauge but with an evertune that should hardly matter I’d guess

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
It’s GGCFAD on Reptile (so akin to Sikth’s AADGBE tuning)
Looks like a limited run SE so standard 25.5; from what I read on instagram iirc it’s recorded with a 25.5 (Evertune equipped) guitar. No idea about the gauge but with an evertune that should hardly matter I’d guess

I think that gauge would still matter so strings won't be so floppy

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Floppy strings are a preference thing though. Considering Mark uses a lower gauge for Drop C (10-52) while Jake/Misha use 11-56, I don't think he minds the floppy string.

Is 10-52 really considered low for Drop C? I've been using that forever and have actually recently switched a 49....

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Is 10-52 really considered low for Drop C? I've been using that forever and have actually recently switched a 49....
Jeez, a 49 seems way too thin for me. Even 10-52 is too thin for me, and I don't mind a bit of flop. I think 11-56 is perfect for Drop C and Drop B. I use 10-52 for Drop C#. But like I said, it a preference thing. All can work fine.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I think Mark has stated in clinics in the past that he uses 11-56 for Drop C as well. That's how I roll with Drop C, tried 10-52 and didn't like it at all.