Photography Thread

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy's doing a Year Beard and is at the halfway point. :eek: He wanted some photos. I like how these look a bit grimy, but I wish I could have gotten a little more punch out of them. I couldn't punch contrast because his beard turned all black. I wish I could have balanced the salad bowl beauty dish with the ambient light a bit better, too, but we had a pretty tight space to work with with an immediate overhead light.

Josh by philbabbey, on Flickr

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
let's get weird. I got caught in a rainstorm while I was out shooting after work and I wasn't about to make a run for my car, so I set up shop under a local resteraunt awning and started messing with reflections. The first shot was manually focused in Live View because I wanted to get the stick in focus (thus leaving the reflection itself in a bokeh haze) and I got as close as I could, time allowing. I only had one chance so I had to make it work! Second shot was a bit easier, but the composition is very intentional. I knew it would look awesome flipped vertically.

stormy by nrrfed, on Flickr

puddle, please by nrrfed, on Flickr

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
All this macro talk got me thinking, I should shoot a little something...:lol:
Click for larger view:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty cool man. :yesway: I only saw two photos of eyes, but you should definitely keep going with that idea.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I just found out about this. The company's called Konost, and they're making an all-digital true rangefinder with a full frame sensor. It apparently uses a secondary sensor and algorithms to replace the mirrors and prisms of an analog rangefinder, so they say you don't need to worry about calibration or CLAs. Apparently the digital system keeps the cost down, too.

I'm still scared to see how much it costs, but if it's under $2k I'd probably look at this instead of a film rangefinder, and since it looks like it's an M mount, I could adapt the glass to my Fuji easily, too.

Konost |

Wretched

Reaction score
A shot from a recently published shoot on an insane 1000hp GTR Skyline. Made cover :)

Both shots are light painted.

16650600327_e4430c1845_b.jpg

16856875901_39614f8ae3_b.jpg

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
nice, Whammy!

Ok, here we go. Introducing the 70mm f/2.4. It's tiny. It's really freaking small. Obviously they made a design choice to sacrifice aperture to keep the size small and I have no complaints.. for most of what I shoot f/2.4 is more than fast enough.. most of the time :) all metal everything so even though it's DAMN SMALL it feels quite solid on the camera.

pic of lens:

Lens-Test-Pentax-70mm-f-2.4-Limited.jpg

and of course the first shot I take with it has to be of a pet:

meow? by nrrfed, on Flickr

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a dump of "mobile" photos from the last month or so. These all got wifi'd to my phone from the X-T1 and processed there - I didn't post them because I never got on the computer to work on them.

Before, I'd pretty much always use the Classic Chrome sim, and touch them up in Photogene. I find Photogene can look a bit artificially smooth when you play with the tone curve, and there's no option for grain that I can find, so I've started using VSCO. I usually use the the T1, I think it is, or a B&W sim. I typically use those presets around the half power setting, then I'll go in and touch them up a bit more, usually just to add a bit of grain to high ISO stuff. If I want vignetting, I'll pop it in Photogene after, because VSCO's vignetting is insanely feathered, and I haven't found it useable yet.

Odie by philbabbey, on Flickr

Boats by philbabbey, on Flickr

Dawn by philbabbey, on Flickr

Negav

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on my first DSLR , Nikon D5200! I'm hyped af, will be here in about a week. Excited to be able to learn on a decent camera for once.

I will be starting with the kit lens, but plan to get a 35mm 1.8 some time.

Any recommendations in lens, software, etc?

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on my first DSLR , Nikon D5200! I'm hyped af, will be here in about a week. Excited to be able to learn on a decent camera for once.

I will be starting with the kit lens, but plan to get a 35mm 1.8 some time.

Any recommendations in lens, software, etc?

D5200 with 35mm f1.8 will be excellent. Software-wise get yourself a copy of Adobe Lightroom.