Photography Thread

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
A cool indoor shot of some flowers.
Flowers_0002.jpg

Took a break from tracking because the light was awesome.
Tracking_0001.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
starting to work my way thru vacation shots.. I am pleased with more than I thought I would be.. I wasn't feeling good about most of my shots but having a day off did wonders for my frame of mind. I am so happy I decided to just wait til I got home to work on these.

jenn #531 by nrrfed, on Flickr

obligatory subway bokeh by nrrfed, on Flickr

IMGP4367 by nrrfed, on Flickr

Skyblue

Reaction score
Some street photos from the last few days:

1507561_10206306826096493_8255903985622770430_n.jpg

10984238_10206340666662486_368644645717440092_n.jpg

1514944_10206351167925011_4761970596898988316_n.jpg

11050095_10206367649897050_726074566020854131_n.jpg

All taken with my phone, and processed in VSCO.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I feel the XT-1 calling my name. I knew this day would come.

Ah, as tempted as I am to sell everything and start over I know it's just the GAS talking. My Pentax serves me just fine and to be honest I'm more than a little attached to it. I just felt the need to speak the Fuji love out loud and get it out of my system. :)

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're happy with your Pentax stuff, no reason to leave. But if you really want a Fuji, spend some time with a demo model at a store. There are a few things I prefer about a DSLR, but if I had to choose one or the other, I would absolutely choose the Fuji. Not to mention, I feel like it would really suit your shooting style.

Tyler

Reaction score
So Ive been using my 5dIII for a bit now for portraits/landscapes sometimes and maybe some concert stuff once in a while. While I want to eventually get into wedding photography sometime I really just prefer doing portrait sessions. Would selling it for an X-T1 or Sony a7s be a good move? I know theres pros/cons to both mirrorless and the dslr but for the sake of quality and durability Im torn between the decision.

Also I never shoot video unless its a guitar play through or something

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
So Ive been using my 5dIII for a bit now for portraits/landscapes sometimes and maybe some concert stuff once in a while. While I want to eventually get into wedding photography sometime I really just prefer doing portrait sessions. Would selling it for an X-T1 or Sony a7s be a good move? I know theres pros/cons to both mirrorless and the dslr but for the sake of quality and durability Im torn between the decision.

Also I never shoot video unless its a guitar play through or something

There are definitely times when I miss the size, battery life, and focus speed of a DSLR, but there are more times that I appreciate the size/discreetness, form factor, wifi, and AF accuracy of the X-T1.

The PDAF of a DSLR like the 5D3 will smoke the X-T1 in low light, but the Fuji is still useable IMHO, and using manual focus with focus peaking can be faster sometimes. The on-chip AF is amazing for accuracy, though, and is way faster than a DSLR in live view. So think about how much the speed of PDAF is crucial to you.

IMHO the A7/s/r are really uncomfortable, although I haven't tried the A72. The Focus is smooth, but seemed to rack focus more than the Fuji, and the lens selection for Sony's is abysmal. Also, the lenses are pretty fat, because you've still gotta cover a full frame sensor with an autofocusing lens. The Sony 55 1.8 is awesomely sharp, but it's probably three times the size and weight of the Fuji 35 1.4, and more than double the price. I love how Fuji's lenses are still small, and the JPG engine in that camera is amazing.

A good handful of us here have happily switched to mirrorless, but you've gotta decide if it's right for you by trying them. IMHO, if you're not shooting professionally (or doing sports/wildlife), the speed won't make a huge difference, so you should concentrate more on the form factor and lens selection.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, this happened tonight. Got an offer on an open box at work that I couldn't say no to. :)

I plan on using it to give people a photo at the end of the odd jobs that I do, and since Dawn and I have like four weddings to go to this summer, to give a photo to the bride and groom near the end of the night.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Good thing I got a big discount on the last thing I bought at work. I just got laid off today. :( They're closing the store and turning it into a Best Buy, and canned all of the sales people.

Tyler

Reaction score
There are definitely times when I miss the size, battery life, and focus speed of a DSLR, but there are more times that I appreciate the size/discreetness, form factor, wifi, and AF accuracy of the X-T1.

The PDAF of a DSLR like the 5D3 will smoke the X-T1 in low light, but the Fuji is still useable IMHO, and using manual focus with focus peaking can be faster sometimes. The on-chip AF is amazing for accuracy, though, and is way faster than a DSLR in live view. So think about how much the speed of PDAF is crucial to you.

IMHO the A7/s/r are really uncomfortable, although I haven't tried the A72. The Focus is smooth, but seemed to rack focus more than the Fuji, and the lens selection for Sony's is abysmal. Also, the lenses are pretty fat, because you've still gotta cover a full frame sensor with an autofocusing lens. The Sony 55 1.8 is awesomely sharp, but it's probably three times the size and weight of the Fuji 35 1.4, and more than double the price. I love how Fuji's lenses are still small, and the JPG engine in that camera is amazing.

A good handful of us here have happily switched to mirrorless, but you've gotta decide if it's right for you by trying them. IMHO, if you're not shooting professionally (or doing sports/wildlife), the speed won't make a huge difference, so you should concentrate more on the form factor and lens selection.

Thanks! The biggest problem has been not having anywhere around to try one out. I might just end up renting one of them for a few days to see how it feels.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience/samples of using a Zeiss 21mm Distagon T (Canon-mount, if possible)? I've only found slim pickings through the magic of Google. The want is strong, but more info is always good.

I was going to make a thread for this but enough people come through here that it might work. PM me any replies so I don't clutter it up.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
So my Xiphos had been needing some TLC for a while now, and I thought I might as well try my hand at taking some pictures. Most of the stuff I take is mediocre at best, and it seems that for every ten photos I take may be one will be workable. Care to critique my photos?

IMG_7840_zpsnkcbdoaj.png

IMG_7848_zpsfosfu2n2.png

Frets were quite oxidized.
IMG_7861_zpsdaabvg9z.png

Before oil:
IMG_7866_zps1ivqiprw.png

After oil:
IMG_7867_zpsy3kbh9tp.png

IMG_7872_zpssewlgi58.png

IMG_7886_zpsqhyb6w7k.png

IMG_7885_zpszhg4cppk.png

IMG_7898_zpsykldxywz.png

IMG_7900_zps6djqhffa.png

IMG_7902_zpsp8vfrhvy.png

IMG_7887_zpsypgf9nfi.png

Constructive criticism is appreciated! :wavey:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Dawn and I went out to the pub with some friends the other night and I tried to take some photos. It was super dark - f/2, 1/60, 6400, and the photos were still underexposed. There's really not a tonne of information to work with so they look pretty rough, but ah well. I tried to work with what I had, and decided to try doing a more cinematic look. For my first try, they came out alright.

Paddy's by philbabbey, on Flickr

spilla

Reaction score
The rain stopped long enough to grab this pic... wish i had had a chance to play with the aperture a little. Might try again if its still raining lightly tomorrow.

Flower_zpsmvyyvlha.jpg

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Focus looks a little off (or it is buried deep on the stamen), that shot could really use more DOF and a square crop. I'd try pushing the yellows to be a touch warmer and the greens a bit cooler.