Planet waves Classic series patch cables VS Switchcraft plugs with Lava,Mogami,cables

• Thread starter Alejandro Moreno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So... I finished my pedalboard...
386248_494066027288123_1704327838_n.jpg

So i need some patch cables. I have been searching about quality and if there is a notorious difference between regular cables like the Planet Waves and the Mogami, Evidence Monorail, Lava George L etc brands.

As usually, my main problem is that i can't try them because the nearest shop that sell them is like 100 miles away from home (I live in Mexico) yeah that kinda sucks. Anyway do you think that it is worth to buy the Lava Cable with Switchcraft Pancake plugs, do they improve the quality on my tone? Because the cable set will cost me around 100 dollars, vs the 50 dlls aprox of the Planet Waves.

Planet Waves:
DV016_Jpg_Large_583543.104_6-inch.jpg

Lava Cable and Switchcraft Pancake plugs:
10nyupv.jpg

Thanks in andvance and thank you again for helping a guitar noob like me. Cheers from Mexico!!!:wavey: :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Reaction score
Even if it makes a tiny difference it's worth $50 IMO.
That being said, some of the differences between lower and higher quality cables is negated when your using a pedal with a good buffer in the first pedal position, or are using active pickups.

I wish I knew more but I don't lol.

Don´t worry, man :agreed: I see, mmmm well... my first pedal in chain is the boss NS-2 and the final pedal is a TBH SHO clone. I only have active p.u. s on my Fernandes Revolver Pro, mmmm should i buy the lava cable with the switchcraft plugs? I am saving also for a new amp, i don´t know, i can´t decide hahahaha

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
At one time I compared many different cables and I really felt like the Mogami cables conducted the midrange the best and contributed to a better resonance and gain sensitvity than the others I tried (planet waves, fenders, live wire elite, monster).
Never tried the lavas though.

Reaction score
At one time I compared many different cables and I really felt like the Mogami cables conducted the midrange the best and contributed to a better resonance and gain sensitvity than the others I tried (planet waves, fenders, live wire elite, monster).
Never tried the lavas though.

Mmmm that's a good point, i have good references about Mogami but i think they are still some expensive. If they help my tone i think i can buy the Lava, if my friend make them with mogami cable i think it would be even more expensive mmm :scratch: I hate being poor :lol:

mongey

Reaction score
I used to read and post allot the The Gear Page where people argue over the sound difference of their $160 cables . got sick of it . On my board I have some mogami with nutrick plugs and I have some decently made ,mid tier patch leads for a couple longer spots as well and I dont hear a difference and I listen close for this stuff

The most importanat thing is the cable/patch lead is made well . good solid plugs and well put together and . Good quality cable is important but the super high end stuff is a wank . IMHO of course

as trench lord said the minute you run through a few pedals, tb or buffered, any slight benfit will be wiped out

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the size of the jacks. The Planet Waves patch cables stick out a bit farther from the pedal than the Lava Cables, meaning you might have to rearrange your pedal board to fit them.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you solder or do you know someone who can? I literally just finished building patch cables for re-doing my whole board last night as I was previously using solderless George L cables and had a few go dead on me over time so I figured I'd do it right and be done with it. :lol:

I ordered this kit from Lava cable:

Lava Cable - Mini ELC DIY Kit

I bought that kit plus an extra few sets of 1/4" plugs and it was pretty reasonable considering it allowed me to make enough cables to do my whole board and was relatively simple to do. Once I got in the groove it was really easy to knock them out. :D Highly recommend the kit, it's quality cable and after I rewired everything it did sound better, not like an "OMG this is mindblowing!!!" difference, but better and less noisy for sure. :yesway:

I also just bought 50' of Mogami cable and a couple Neutrik plugs so I can make four new instrument cables too. :D Figure why not, it was easy enough to do the little patch cables so what the heck! :lol:

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know when I went from Planet Waves to the EA Monorail there was a slight difference (less noise, less flub in the lows). Nothing wrong with the PW product, as it carries the lifetime warranty like all the Higher end cables and availablility is also a factor to consider.

Personally I'm a pretty big fan of soldering as well. It's a valuable skill to have.

xtacles

boosh
Reaction score
Can you solder or do you know someone who can? I literally just finished building patch cables for re-doing my whole board last night as I was previously using solderless George L cables and had a few go dead on me over time so I figured I'd do it right and be done with it. :lol:

I ordered this kit from Lava cable:

Lava Cable - Mini ELC DIY Kit

I bought that kit plus an extra few sets of 1/4" plugs and it was pretty reasonable considering it allowed me to make enough cables to do my whole board and was relatively simple to do. Once I got in the groove it was really easy to knock them out. :D Highly recommend the kit, it's quality cable and after I rewired everything it did sound better, not like an "OMG this is mindblowing!!!" difference, but better and less noisy for sure. :yesway:

I also just bought 50' of Mogami cable and a couple Neutrik plugs so I can make four new instrument cables too. :D Figure why not, it was easy enough to do the little patch cables so what the heck! :lol:

This for sure. If you can solder (you don't have to be a pro) then you can make your own high quality cables for cheap, and at the exact lengths you want. I did the same thing and bought all the Mogami cable I wanted, then got connectors (some straight, some 45's) and went to town. I personally prefer G&H connectors, but have a Neutrik silent one on my main guitar cable and like it as well.

1NJ3CT10N

Reaction score
Another vote for "role your own". I actually just found what I ordered a few months ago and it was alot cheaper than buying those overpriced kits IMO. I needed a fair bit as I was wiring up my VL GCX in my rack. Ordered from Redco and shipped to Canada, so Im sure they can ship to Mexico. Worth taking a look.

Professional Recording Equipment Accessories: Shop Our Selection of Audio Equipment Accessories, Custom Engraved Panels and Custom Audio Cables - Redco Audio Professional Audio Equipment Accessories

For Rack-
Mogami W2524 Instrument Cable- 80ft @ $.80 = $64.00
Mogami W2528 Dual Unbalanced Cable - 5ft @ $.70 = $3.50
Neutrik NYS224 Straight ends - 34 @ $1.10ea = $37.40
Neutrik NYS207 Right angle ends - 16 @ $1.12ea = $17.92
Neutrik NYS228BG TRS - 1 @ $1.68ea = $1.68

For Guitar-
Neutrik NP2RX - Right angle - 2 @ $4.00ea = $8.00
Neutrik NP2X - Straight ends - 2 @ $2.61ea = $5.22

Total = $137.72

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
I have been buying replacement cables for years and nevwr really was concerned with quality or sound quality at all. But then i tried a mogami cable and i was SOLD. I know the price is ridiculous, but i legit swear by them. Every cable i use is mogami. From 3" to 25'