PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
to all you prs experts, i'm looking for something in specific. a while ago, i was at a guitar store, saw a PRS hollowbody singlecut guitar. however, the one offered on the PRS website seems to be the same size as their solid body singlecut guitars.

the one i saw was slightly bigger than the solid body. when i say 'bigger' i mean the body was longer and wider.

maybe my memory is fuzzy, but if memory serves me correct, it definitely wasn't the current model of the hollowbody II. was there ever a singlecut hollowbody I?

just for the sake of it, this is the current model:
SCHB2GB10-xlarge.jpg

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
They're not my cup of tea. Im standing on the other side of the pond, wielding my pointy guitars!

Ps. Gotta love getting neg rep for stating your opinion in a thread called: "PRS's: some love them, some hate them, how about you?".

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
God, I love the looks of PRS to death. When I was a teenager, a PRS custom 24 is what I dreamt about.
Ten years later I got myself a CE24 and a CU24, and they didn't impress me sound or playwise. They are still one of the best looking guitars around, but they are not my cup of tea playing or hearing the ones I had.
If I compare PRS with EBMM (I know they are two totally different companies, but hey..), PRS wins by the looks, but EBMM wins in playability and tone.

Nonetheless, a PRS 7-string Singlecut Hollowbody with trem is still my ultimate dream :bowdown:

This exact model with 7 strings and a Hipshot trem:
img1530250619.jpeg

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
to all you prs experts, i'm looking for something in specific. a while ago, i was at a guitar store, saw a PRS hollowbody singlecut guitar. however, the one offered on the PRS website seems to be the same size as their solid body singlecut guitars.

the one i saw was slightly bigger than the solid body. when i say 'bigger' i mean the body was longer and wider.

maybe my memory is fuzzy, but if memory serves me correct, it definitely wasn't the current model of the hollowbody II. was there ever a singlecut hollowbody I?

just for the sake of it, this is the current model:

No, you are correct. Sounds like you are describing the SC-J model which came with either an ebony bridge like below, or a Bigsby trem.

PRS%20SC-J,%20thinlien,%20mint,%202008%2001.JPG

They aren't currently in production, but you can usually find them used fairly easily.

The closest current production model would be the JA-15.

176482-6.jpg

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
They're not my cup of tea. Im standing on the other side of the pond, wielding my pointy guitars!

Ps. Gotta love getting neg rep for stating your opinion in a thread called: "PRS's: some love them, some hate them, how about you?".

I do feel like the title of this thread should be changed from the current name to "The Official Paul Reed Smith Thread" - that way it's only pro PRS discussions and no one gets flamed :2c:

soliloquy

Reaction score
No, you are correct. Sounds like you are describing the SC-J model which came with either an ebony bridge like below, or a Bigsby trem.

PRS%20SC-J,%20thinlien,%20mint,%202008%2001.JPG

They aren't currently in production, but you can usually find them used fairly easily.

The closest current production model would be the JA-15.

176482-6.jpg

Thank you!! I knew i wasnt going crazy!

But god damn they are pricey!!! Sucks nothing similar exists at an affordable price. Does prs have any plans to release a few hollw body guitars with 'no frills' fancy stuff? Maybe in the 2500ish ball park?

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Thank you!! I knew i wasnt going crazy!

But god damn they are pricey!!! Sucks nothing similar exists at an affordable price. Does prs have any plans to release a few hollw body guitars with 'no frills' fancy stuff? Maybe in the 2500ish ball park?

Not that I know of - the hollowbody's take a lot of attention to detail so they've always been more pricey which sucks because I really dig them but that's why I have resorted to the used market for my Archtop 1 (that and it was disctoniued). It seems you really want a jumbo, singlecut hollowbody so I would just keep my eyes out for a nice used one. They go for drastically less used, especially the JA-15s which I think are absolutely KILLLER!

You could always find an SE Semihollow with a Bigsby (it was a limited run but they exist) - I really dig them with some USA pickups.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Not that I know of - the hollowbody's take a lot of attention to detail so they've always been more pricey which sucks because I really dig them but that's why I have resorted to the used market for my Archtop 1 (that and it was disctoniued). It seems you really want a jumbo, singlecut hollowbody so I would just keep my eyes out for a nice used one. They go for drastically less used, especially the JA-15s which I think are absolutely KILLLER!

You could always find an SE Semihollow with a Bigsby (it was a limited run but they exist) - I really dig them with some USA pickups.

Im most likey selling my crafter sa guitar which looks like a taylor t5, but out preforms it in versatility...now to replace it down the line, a thin body, arched top with an LR BAGGS peizo would be awesome!! Doesnt have to be the jumbo, but i liked how that looked.

As for the se, i try avoiding flat top guitars. And if its not an f hole, then a variation of it to keep me interested. If i was looking for a flat top, then there are a few nice guitars coming out of korea, se included.

or even something that looked similar to my godin 5th avenue, but a thinner body and easier to play

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Im most likey selling my crafter sa guitar which looks like a taylor t5, but out preforms it in versatility...now to replace it down the line, a thin body, arched top with an LR BAGGS peizo would be awesome!! Doesnt have to be the jumbo, but i liked how that looked.

As for the se, i try avoiding flat top guitars. And if its not an f hole, then a variation of it to keep me interested. If i was looking for a flat top, then there are a few nice guitars coming out of korea, se included.

or even something that looked similar to my godin 5th avenue, but a thinner body and easier to play

Yeah, I understand totally. Have you tried an HBII? I've seen people snag them with Piezo's for ~2k. Even less if its an opaque top.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand totally. Have you tried an HBII? I've seen people snag them with Piezo's for ~2k. Even less if its an opaque top.

....wait....you're telling me i can get a HBII type guitar for around the 2k mark...?

i gotta look into this!!! :hbang::hbang:

thanks mate!

Capelo

Reaction score
That pink SC!!! Awesomeness through and through. That is one of the coolest finishes I have seen from PRS in years. Does it have an ebony fingerboard? Can't really tell from the pics. I am in love with the axe!!!!