PRS Mark Holcomb SE Model!

• Thread starter IbbyAddict
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hypotc

Reaction score
DSC_6547.jpg

Couldn't resist this top so it's on it's way to me very soon. Now I'm wondering if I should replace the nut with a black or a white one. :D

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared yet, but Mark recently got himself an Holcomb SE with an ebony veneer top.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Don't you like gloss? The finish "pops" more with a gloss finish I guess?
Eh not really when it's just a veneer like this. When it's a nice top I prefer gloss, but when it's not I prefer satin for the playability. It's just a bit more comfortable on my forearm. I used to be a lot more satin only, but now I just go with what looks better.

hypotc

Reaction score
Eh not really when it's just a veneer like this. When it's a nice top I prefer gloss, but when it's not I prefer satin for the playability. It's just a bit more comfortable on my forearm. I used to be a lot more satin only, but now I just go with what looks better.

I understand. How do you like the playability of the guitar? Saw you posted a pic of it back a few pages. Did you change the nut etc yet? I think I'll do that pretty soon after getting mine.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I understand. How do you like the playability of the guitar? Saw you posted a pic of it back a few pages. Did you change the nut etc yet? I think I'll do that pretty soon after getting mine.
It might honestly be my all time favorite 6 string and that's comparing to a ton of way more expensive guitars. I truly wish I could get a USA made version of the exact same guitar. Sadly the USA Holcombs are way over priced. I did end up changing the nut a few days ago with a black graph tech. I love it so much that I've been thinking about building a Kiesel Crescent to very similar specs and then throwing in a pair of Alpha/Omegas.

hypotc

Reaction score
It might honestly be my all time favorite 6 string and that's comparing to a ton of way more expensive guitars. I truly wish I could get a USA made version of the exact same guitar. Sadly the USA Holcombs are way over priced. I did end up changing the nut a few days ago with a black graph tech. I love it so much that I've been thinking about building a Kiesel Crescent to very similar specs and then throwing in a pair of Alpha/Omegas.

That sounds great, really looking forward to getting it! Had a 1998 Custom 22 before, but had to sell it unfortunately. This will be my first PRS since then (although the old one was a USA model ofc) I'm just wondering if I should go with a black or a white nut. Can you post a pic of yours with a black nut?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That sounds great, really looking forward to getting it! Had a 1998 Custom 22 before, but had to sell it unfortunately. This will be my first PRS since then (although the old one was a USA model ofc) I'm just wondering if I should go with a black or a white nut. Can you post a pic of yours with a black nut?
I honestly think this guitar feels amazing for what it costs and being made in Korea. I'm at work right now, but I can take a picture when I get home. I feel like the white would have worked better for this guitar, but I much prefer black no matter the guitar.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
That Trampas Green looks so slick, although I feel like double cream or zebra pickups and cream pickup rings would make it look really slick, and bone/white tusq nut. It'd be such a sleeper metal axe then.

hypotc

Reaction score
That Trampas Green looks so slick, although I feel like double cream or zebra pickups and cream pickup rings would make it look really slick, and bone/white tusq nut. It'd be such a sleeper metal axe then.

Yeah, i was considering some cream pickup rings for a mire proper «PRS look» haha

A-Branger

Reaction score
DSC_6547.jpg

Couldn't resist this top so it's on it's way to me very soon. Now I'm wondering if I should replace the nut with a black or a white one. :D

go with white, so it blends with the binding

Yeah, i was considering some WHITE pickup rings for a mire proper «PRS look» haha

fixed for ya ;)

CUs have white rings, its only on the SE that they use cream for some stupid reason.... Plus in this guitar having a white fb binding, you need to keep that scheme going, use white. Cream would clash with it.... also I hate cream lol... but if this were another guitar, you do your thing, but you are kinda stuck with the white because the fretboard binding