Recommended Scale Length for Ab Standard and Drop Ab?

erick___g

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To provide reference, I currently play on a Harley Benton multiscale 7 string (25.5-27"), but I am wondering what the general consensus on scale length in these tunings? Would 27.5 or 28 inches be a good length for these tunings to prevent intonation issues, along with a slightly heavier, but not crazy heavy string gauge set?

I do enjoy longer scale lengths as they seem to fit my height and size anyways, playing on my Solar E2.6 Baritone in C standard feels like heaven everytime I pick it up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
In my experience, your current guitar should work just fine, provided it has a good setup and the saddles have enough travel for the low string. I have played perfectly intonated 26.5" scale guitars in G#.

exo

Reaction score
Your current guitar is more than capable of handling those tunings with very “standard” string gauges. Bands have been tuning to B standard using a .62 on 24.75” scales for literal DECADES.

Tuning is ALWAYS a compromise, unless you are going to buy a “true temperament” instrument for each and every tuning you might possibly want to use. The modern concern about “perfect intonation” for the low strings is quite overblown…..I mean how often are you ACTUALLY going to play the low “B” or “E” strings past the 12th fret?

figure out what “compromise” is comfortable for you and go PLAY…..

nickgray

Reaction score
All of the above, plus the obligatory "if there's no buzz coming through the amp - then there's no buzz".

Plus the tension increase that comes with a 1" increase in scale translates to increasing the gauge by 0.02 on the low string. So a .60 on a 26.5" will feel about as a .62 on a 25.5". Not exactly night and day. On the flip side, while 1" increase is tiny, certain stretches can get from annoying to extra annoying. I've been playing a 24.75" six string lately, and I have to say, it's just more comfortable. Damn shame that 24.75" superstrats aren't common at all.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
All of the above, plus the obligatory "if there's no buzz coming through the amp - then there's no buzz".

Plus the tension increase that comes with a 1" increase in scale translates to increasing the gauge by 0.02 on the low string. So a .60 on a 26.5" will feel about as a .62 on a 25.5". Not exactly night and day. On the flip side, while 1" increase is tiny, certain stretches can get from annoying to extra annoying. I've been playing a 24.75" six string lately, and I have to say, it's just more comfortable. Damn shame that 24.75" superstrats aren't common at all.

Jackson Fusions are the only ones I'm aware of, and you'll probably hate the neck joint.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
This is a little unconventional, your thread title is talking about drastically different tunings

G#C#F#BEG#C# and G#D#G#C#F#A#D#

First is 3 halfsteps lower than B Standard, and the other is 1 halfstep lower than B Standard + Your low string dropped an extra whole step.

I'm going to assume you mean A# Standard/Drop G#, your top 6 strings are only down a half step you can intonate to that tuning on a 24.75" Les Paul just fine. The problem that you're going to deal with is the low string A#/G#, if you want to tune and intonate properly between both sets I'd recommend the following.

For a slinkier feel, I'd go with 10 - 50 + 62. But if you prefer some tension then I'd go with 11 - 52 + 64.

In case you were actually talking about G# Standard, you're going to need 11 - 56 + 68.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is a little unconventional, your thread title is talking about drastically different tunings

G#C#F#BEG#C# and G#D#G#C#F#A#D#

First is 3 halfsteps lower than B Standard, and the other is 1 halfstep lower than B Standard + Your low string dropped an extra whole step.

I'm going to assume you mean A# Standard/Drop G#, your top 6 strings are only down a half step you can intonate to that tuning on a 24.75" Les Paul just fine. The problem that you're going to deal with is the low string A#/G#, if you want to tune and intonate properly between both sets I'd recommend the following.

For a slinkier feel, I'd go with 10 - 50 + 62. But if you prefer some tension then I'd go with 11 - 52 + 64.

In case you were actually talking about G# Standard, you're going to need 11 - 56 + 68.
Check the title again, he was asking for both, I guess you answered it both anyway! :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
imo 27 does a good job with a 70 or 68 but 28 will do it perfectly and sound pretty amazing with a 68. Can't say I feel compelled to go quite as long as 28 for that though

yan12

Reaction score
With enough tweaking, I think you can use 25.5 but that is as short as I would go.
I think 26.5 is my favorite and I no longer own a 27" or 28". That's what works for me, and I also will say a hardtail or string thru makes it a whole lot easier than balancing a floating bridge with those big bass side strings....at least for me.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
i wouldnt go any shorter than 25.5" like the others have stated. 27" seems to be the most comfortable scale for me because i can play everything from as low as F# up to B. My RGDR4327 is 26.5" and she sings in Drop Ab. good setup and the right gauge strings will make everything awesome

Screwhead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should be more than fine. I've got an old Ibanez RG7-420 from 2000 in A and it sounds perfect. I've also got a Harley Benton fanned fret, but that's tuned FCGDgcf, so the 27" side really helps keep that 80 gauge sounding good!

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I think that 27 is about as long as you would want to go unless you are going into ludicrously low tunings. I find that anything longer than 27 is where I stop being able to stretch to play riffs that I learned on a 25.5, and either have to re-learn them or just can't play them.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanna try A standard/drop G once I get my 7 but I'm not sure 25.5 would do it. I do like low tension though, I run 54s for C and a super light top end so not sure what to do for that.

akinari

Reaction score
I wanna try A standard/drop G once I get my 7 but I'm not sure 25.5 would do it. I do like low tension though, I run 54s for C and a super light top end so not sure what to do for that.

.064 for A then. I've done G on 25.5 with a .072/.074 and it was okay.

Latest posts