RIP strictly7?

• Thread starter oath5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
It's not much of a surprise... He came into the business with virtually no mass production experience, and tried to go hard and force growth. It's obvious to me when I look at pictures of his work and see glaring flaws... I'm by no means perfect, but when I got in over my head I scaled back, not up, and it worked for the best for me. This is a tough business, and you can't go into it completely green because you know how to program a CNC... It takes paying your dues, plain and simple.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
He is so tired of spending all that time on the internet reading crap.

He cannot physically keep up with email.

So many logic.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
As soon as Ola Englund left that company I knew there was a major problem. Ola is cool as fvck and if he felt like he had to leave....shit must be bad.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I knew there was a problem when the first page of his website stated how other companies had so many quality control issues, when his guitars have issues that are significantly worse...

Also what a dick. He says "I check every guitar I never let anything sub par out of the factory." Bull, he has sent many defected guitars out and we have seen them first hand.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I knew there was a problem when the first page of his website stated how other companies had so many quality control issues, when his guitars have issues that are significantly worse...

Also what a dick. He says "I check every guitar I never let anything sub par out of the factory." Bull, he has sent many defected guitars out and we have seen them first hand.

More interestingly he said he checks every guitar, then proceeds to say he actually didn't, trusting his employees, then blames them when shit slips through

TraE

Reaction score
Sigh. This thread is depressing. It's so sad to see people that spent their hard earned money on a custom guitar they thought would be the end-all, only to receive nothing but bullshit. To the OP, I really hope you get your money back, if not then I hope you'll get the guitar you already paid for. I remember looking at S7 guitars a year or so back and thinking "how cool!" Now I know the company is nothing but a sham... the world we live in. :noplease:

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I rebuff you on the Jackson part there...

Well, it's true that there have been some Custom Shop nightmares, but I believe in all cases the end result was either a refund or a rebuild. It does take forever, but I haven't heard of anyone just getting fvcked.

While Jackson won't go under and keep your deposit that still can happen with an authorized dealer which is what you have to go through. But yeah they're much more stable and safe. If you can wait the times (I'm currently at 2 years and 2 months) and be willing to pay upper echelon prices that is.

Rev.

Didn't think of the dealer angle, which I suppose could happen given how long the build times are, but based on my recent experience with their customer support, I believe they would have your back if you showed a receipt of your deposit.

I can't think of any recent stories where a dealer went under and a person got screwed. It's just these (several) small builders.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Finish your orders before lapping the asses of internet youtube celebrities and giving them sigs. Too bad that this happened. I met up with him at one of my gigs and demo'd one live back in early 09. Coulda had a partial endorsement deal and got a production model for around $550 (this was before the Cobra was even out). Turned it down cause I knew my band was off the rails and doomed. He was cool back then and seemed solid... Before he went all "There Will Be Blood" on the world. Baby steps, baby steps.

petervindel

Reaction score
I feel really sorry for everyone affected by this.
I ordered my custom 8 string 30.2" cobra summer of '12 and was told there was a 4-6 month build time. After 7 months I freaked out and started sending Jim e-mails every day. After 8-9 months I finally got my guitar.

Sad thing is they actually build(t) great guitars. I am aware that there are people who have received lemons from them, but my guitar is actually a great build.

The worst part about this is that people are turned off getting custom gear. DAR Amps, Bernie Rico Jr., S7G... I am going to think long and hard before I order a custom anything again.

Hope you get your money back man, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
What sucked for me is that I paid the deposit and two years later he says "alright ready to finish up and ship, pay me the rest" I did and then nothing...

Yeah that's a downright hustle on his part :noplease:. That goes beyond just being a failed owner or an overextended screwball.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
There needs to be a company that doesnt do custom orders, but just makes super exotic guitars and sells them and works on them in their own timethat doesnt sound so bad right? As long as the builder has nice tastes and thinks out the box.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
^Blackmachine. Doug builds in his free time but thats usually just to make guitars for himself and then sells later on when he needs money or builds another.

Its crazy how unprotected we are from scammers and cheats in the guitar world.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah that's a downright hustle on his part :noplease:. That goes beyond just being a failed owner or an overextended screwball.

Actually, now that I think about this more, this might constitute fraud. The instrument wasn't complete, but he said it was to elicit payment and then didn't ship the item. Too bad the payment wasn't mailed, then it would definitely be mail fraud and you could sick the Post Office on him too.

SpaceDock: Check with law enforcement, it really sounds like your guitar has crossed the line into outright fraud.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anybody told that your guitar was complete, made the final payment, but never received the guitar? Call law enforcement, that's almost certainly crossed the line into abject fraud.

Anybody actually snail-mail a payment? That would open-up the possibility for mail fraud. Check with the post office.

Ray

Reactions: 80H

Latest posts