RIP strictly7?

• Thread starter oath5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't see how that is legal... Your money may be in binary format but it still has value and you can't just say "derp, you never got the product you were promised but the time frame has been too long, sorry!" It's literally lying. Now I completely get its not PP/the bank's fault, but they have a record of you sending X dollars to Jackass McGee and you have literally nothing to show for it. If nothing else they should be able to contact his bank/PP and attempt to get the money back.

I suppose your best bet is to get into contact with someone already pressing charges and see if you can piggy-back onto that. Just because you're not in the US doesn't mean you should be ....ed over, that's absolute bullshit. Keep us informed of how its going, because like I said, I almost guarantee you aren't alone

While I agree in principal, there is a statute of limitations on these things as well. Now I don't know how long that time is, whether or not it would be based on the laws from where Jim operates or the OP lives, or if it would be some combination of the OP's resident laws as interpreted through American jurisprudence, so it's still worth researching. The fact is though, there is a time limit in order for the OP to file suit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I really have to tell you guys, I will never pay for a guitar from a private luthier if it is not finished and ready to ship. Ever.

This could happen with any shop, no matter how nice the owner is. Any of these boutique shops could have the owner killed in an accident or fall ill or flake out and you are SOL. This situation is becoming very common and is unavoidable with a shop that doesnt have multiple experience luthiers.

Be careful with your money guys.

I dont' actually take the rest of the full payment until the guitar is complete and ready to put in a case. Other than that, small deposit.

I'm still really floored by S7G. They really had a gem of an opportunity with the Strandberg guitars and they just didn't deliver a great product. It's weird hearing that Jim's on his own now considering how many people i saw in the videos with his walkaround.

edit - i looked at the videos by Curran - i'm guessing he's working with Jim still and it sounds like they're still hammering forward with this.

Ale

Reaction score
I really have to tell you guys, I will never pay for a guitar from a private luthier if it is not finished and ready to ship. Ever.

This could happen with any shop, no matter how nice the owner is. Any of these boutique shops could have the owner killed in an accident or fall ill or flake out and you are SOL. This situation is becoming very common and is unavoidable with a shop that doesnt have multiple experience luthiers.

Be careful with your money guys.

I really have to agree.
If I see the guitar finished before me then have my money and I'll have the guitar but it's even harder these days when everything happens in the internet and you may never get to meet the person. When talking about thousands of euros or dollars...well.
BTW I always heard about those videos where Jim bash his customers..what exactly happened?

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I dont' actually take the rest of the full payment until the guitar is complete and ready to put in a case. Other than that, small deposit.

I'm still really floored by S7G. They really had a gem of an opportunity with the Strandberg guitars and they just didn't deliver a great product. It's weird hearing that Jim's on his own now considering how many people i saw in the videos with his walkaround.

edit - i looked at the videos by Curran - i'm guessing he's working with Jim still and it sounds like they're still hammering forward with this.

What sucked for me is that I paid the deposit and two years later he says "alright ready to finish up and ship, pay me the rest" I did and then nothing...

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
PayPal only gives you 45 days to open a dispute (I'm not sure where the 90 days thing is coming from). 2 and a half years is long past what they will do for you, so it's up to whatever your credit card will do for you. There's no harm in finding out what your options are --call them!

Good luck, man. You're in a terrible position right now without much hope. I feel sick just thinking about what you're going through.

oath5

Reaction score

Nope it was Curran I talked with today via facebook. He and all the other guys have left S7. He also stated the reason but not sure if I should write that here.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Nope it was Curran I talked with today via facebook. He and all the other guys have left S7. He also stated the reason but not sure if I should write that here.

If Curran is the one who told you that, then it is definitely over—he would be the last person to leave S7G.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Yeah that was what I was thinking. So f*cking depressed right now

That sucks sir, I'm very sorry you ended up in this situation. :noplease:

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Yeah that was what I was thinking. So f*cking depressed right now

i'd go ahead and call PayPal and explain the situation. JUST IN CASE someone can actually help you resolve it.

DO NOT contact your CC company or bank first. if you do that, PayPal will be unable to ever investigate the issue with the seller. this happened to me a while back because some money was taken from my PP account which was tied to my checking account. i called Chase first instead of PayPal, and after they put in the charge back i called PayPal who told me that because i went to the bank FIRST, they were at that point blocked from being able to investigate how the money was stolen to begin with.

maximummetal288

Reaction score
I'm freaking out now. I was one of the people who made a down payment on a Boden 7 back in September 2012. I think there's maybe 4 of us from what I've gathered reading S7 threads since May of this year. Jim contact me in August about a refund after the whole Strandberg fiasco in May, and he said I'd have it in 90 days. Sure enough, I still haven't gotten the refund. I've been emailing since then and he even suggested that he'd pay me back in installments or send a Cobra 7 as collateral. I was ok with just taking a Cobra 7 since I'd get SOMETHING for the money of mine he's had for 18 months now... but now I don't know what's going to happen.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Fyfan.

Didn't some of the BRJR guys get their money back by going through their banks or am I wrong? I feel you man, I remeber Jim saying that everyone who orderd a Solar before Englund left was going to get one, I guess this just shows how bad thing can get if you don't take your business seriously. I have a feeling (I think we all do, and it's more than a feeling really) that there is something weird going on behind the scenes with that Jim guy, first Keiths poorly built guitars, the worm-hole boden, both Ola's leaving and now everyone else leaving.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What sucked for me is that I paid the deposit and two years later he says "alright ready to finish up and ship, pay me the rest" I did and then nothing...

I would have done a charge-back way sooner if he had said it was done and took the final payment.

Doesn't ease your pain (sorry), but a lesson for the next guy.

Ray

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Geez. That sucks, mate. I hope it works out for you.

This just reaffirms why I will never pay a small company in advance - just upon delivery.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't some of the BRJR guys get their money back by going through their banks or am I wrong?

From what I vaguely recall the one or two that did get their money back from a bank or credit card filed a dispute within one year of the transaction, and I think they were European customers/bank institutions. I'm fairly certain the vast majority of banks and CC companies will tell you there's nothing they can do if you try to file a dispute 2+ years later. And here in the States I don't even think they'd help you one year in.

Rev.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. There could be about 50-100 people waiting on S7 guitars from what I've seen. The worse thing is he had the nerve to have a booth at NAMM with stock guitars. One being a 9 string which would have taken a lot of time to build. A complete waste of money, energy and time.

This is getting way to common nowadays.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I never really noticed luthiers and companies like this until I stumbled onto this site. Ever since I'd been made aware of strictly 7, I've had a stick up my ass about them. They've been sketched out for a good long while now it seems, and it bums me the .... out seeing people lie, cheat, and steal other peoples hard earned money. I can honestly say, if a place doesn't have a reliable and fast (1-6 months seems decent) turn around time, they won't get my money ever. Hell, after it's paid in full, if the ....ing thing isn't shipped out within 2-3 business days, I'd probably throw a fit. I hope you get your money back, but because of the nature of these things, it looks like it'd have to come from a lawsuit and not relying on banks/paypal, since they do have fairly short limits. (Limits that get exceeded even by people who use your money properly.)