Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
you might need to give the neck some relief. I will say mine is really low, how I prefer it, and it went without having to adjust anything.

Yeah, I'd say he needs to adjust the truss rod to give it more relief. I have a couple of mine setup with retardedly low action, and it doesn't buzz really at all. I have others setup with medium action, and one with high action. I use the low action guitars for fast stuff or solos, and the medium or high for big, chordy stuff or for riffs with really aggressive picking/palm mutes. Makes a difference in the way they sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I put lower gauge strings on mine when I get it so after about 3 weeks the neck began to bow back causing the first 5 frets to really buzz so a quick 1/5 truss rod adjustment fixed.
I still need to test how low I can get the action but its at a comfortable 1.3mm on the treble side and 1.6mm on the bass side.

There was a quite a difference in the sound from the strings moving further away from the pickup too. The nazgul is quite sensitive to height.

I finished recording a metal demo for mine last night. I'll try to get it up in the next week.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
...maybe because tremolo's allow you to get the action completely flat across the whole neck...

Are you familiar with the old robot saying "does not compute"?

I don't know why you'd assume that. A tremolo is a termination point for one end of the string just like a Hipshot is. In fact, the Hipshot is a lot more versatile for action adjustments because you can do the strings individually to compensate for extra thick/thin strings rather than being bound by the radius of the trem (unless you wanna get into shimming the saddles). What you need is a truss rod adjustment, as everyone else has already said.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Also, for those of you still waiting on your pre-order, and Keith may be able to chime in and either confirm this or swat it down, but I messaged Schecter over FB regarding new shipments of these, and I was told that they are receiving 36 of the TSB ones this Friday, and those would then be shipped out to vendors who have them on order...I'm assuming after they pass QC. This person didn't mention anything about the white ones, only the black ones. So, take it FWIW.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
yeah it looks like that's in line with what other people are saying.

Black is taking priority over the white ones at the moment. they likely had a higher number of TSB orders than the white model, so they're trying to get those taken care of first.

my dealer was supposed to get back with me last week with a response from Schecter but i haven't heard anything.

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
I have a white one on order with Nick at Axe Palace. My hybrid 8 string and the new red loomis came in, but the KM-7 hasn't yet. Can't wait!

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
just emailed Schecter to see if i can find out what's going on with the white ones.

it's been over a week and i haven't heard back from my dealer. :\

ddk

Reaction score
Schecter posted on their Facebook page this afternoon:

"Happy to report we will be filling MOST of the KM-7 back-orders THIS week! Keith Merrow's Sig 7 has proved to be one of our most popular 2014 models!
ORDER YOURS NOW!"

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
just got word directly from Schecter that WHITE UNITS will be a part of that back order batch!!! YESSSSSSSS

i'm freaking out!!! :D

miked

Reaction score
Great news to hear! Been waiting two an a half months for my white one! Now I ref won't be able to sleep until she is hear! Hopefully get it in time for conquering dystopia show so I can get her signed!

Zado

Reaction score
Especially since the damage had nothing to do with Schecter! That's pretty incredible, I cant think of another company that would do that.

steinmetzify: "UMMM my cat broke my guitar"

Schecter Rep: "No prob, we like cats too, we will send you a new tuner"

I'm writing them:" my cat licked my hellraiser's fretboard,can I haz a california cuztom plz?He ate friskies before that,now the guitar smells so bad"

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
As successful as these things have been so far, I'd be shocked if Schecter didn't introduce a Floyd model to go along with the 6 string models very soon. I personally know of three people who either want one of these in six string versions or Floyded versions.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Keith said he had one with an FR.

And count me the group that wants a sixer. Especially with a 26.5''+ scale.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
In my opinion, they would be crazy if they didn't do six models in 26.5 scale and up, and one in 25.5 scale. There is going to be a crazy market for both, provided the specs are the same as they are on the KM-7. I just happened to be in the market for a 7 string, and HIGHLY prefer fixed bridges to Floyded versions. Not that I don't mind the occasional Floyd...I have a Charvel with an OFR on it, and a Washburn N24 with a licensed Floyd on it. But for 7 strings, just prefer the hardtails.