Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The artist editions had some serious QC issues with finish and fretboards (how many dudes had the binding/finish busted - one dude here had it happen 3-4 times!)

If.i were ever to buy a km7 mkiii id buy used just so I knew I was getting one that wasn't fucked up. Also shitty electronics is unacceptable to me on a new guitar too. I just expect them to work. Yeah I can Fix them personally, but I shouldn't have to

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
So what happened between KM-7 1s and 3s? I ended getting a 1 because of all the 3 horror stories being posted here.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
So what happened between KM-7 1s and 3s? I ended getting a 1 because of all the 3 horror stories being posted here.

As said above people had issues with the neck binding on a few. On mine (mkIII 7 Artist) I had an issue with the volume pot but it played so well there was no way I was giving it up.

The pot issue ended up being an easy fix (blasted it out with compressed air).

Some people with the White Model II had issues with the finish yellowing.

I never really liked the way that the model I or II looked and MUCH prefer the model three body and Headstock.

I REALLY like the Merrow Fishman Pickups, but they are a tad on the noisy side. I was under the impression that active = noiseless but that isn't the case and since I had a preconceived notion that they are supposed to be noiseless the minute noise they do make bugs me to no end :p

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Model 1 looks the best but I wish it had a minor forearm cut.. Got one few months ago and slowly getting used to it. Otherwise its a killer guitar.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
As said above people had issues with the neck binding on a few. On mine (mkIII 7 Artist) I had an issue with the volume pot but it played so well there was no way I was giving it up.

I never really liked the way that the model I or II looked and MUCH prefer the model three body and Headstock.

I REALLY like the Merrow Fishman Pickups, but they are a tad on the noisy side. I was under the impression that active = noiseless but that isn't the case and since I had a preconceived notion that they are supposed to be noiseless the minute noise they do make bugs me to no end :p
I didn't notice any noise.. but then again, I ALWAYS run my ISP Decimator. At least, if there was noise I didn't notice it was any more or less noisier than my nazgul.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Model 1 looks the best but I wish it had a minor forearm cut.. Got one few months ago and slowly getting used to it. Otherwise its a killer guitar.

Hellraisers have that same problem. Wish someone would just hit that spot with a sander and take they edge off of it before they painted them. ;)

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I didn't notice any noise.. but then again, I ALWAYS run my ISP Decimator. At least, if there was noise I didn't notice it was any more or less noisier than my nazgul.

I dont have any noise gate at all - I keep meaning to get one but since I just play at home it hasn't been a huge issue. Now That I am more interested in recording I will pick one up.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

I have 3 of the MK-2s as they are absolutely freaking excellent guitars. No issues with any of them. The MK-3 Arist feels a bit more comfortable to me and has higher-end components/materials but the MK-2's simplistic perfection can't be ignored.

The trans white finish was on the MK-1s. The MK-2s come in trans black (called Black Pearl) and natural

cip 123

Reaction score
I think it's just a difference in attention in the factory.

When the 1 came out it was high spec but not crazy and most of the attention was probably paid to building it as a whole, the woods weren't hard to work with, it was just solid.

The 3 had really high spec and I feel like that was the payoff for quality. I doubt schecter wanted quality to slip, but some of the woods are harder to work with, the shape was probably harder to cut etc. Specs trade off with quality I think on the 3.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
That was me. I had to return 3. All had pretty bad chipping along the fretboard. It was beyond acceptable at the price point. I ended getting a 4th a few months later that still has the issue although much less severe AND it was much cheaper too (like $400 off I think).
Were all 4 crimson blue?

Curious because I just ordered my Km7, waiting for new stock to arrive at dealer and have been starting to debate black vs blue. Wondering if any of these issues have been seen on trans black model.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Were all 4 crimson blue?

Curious because I just ordered my Km7, waiting for new stock to arrive at dealer and have been starting to debate black vs blue. Wondering if any of these issues have been seen on trans black model.

3 Blue Crimsons then I found the discounted black burst one

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
3 Blue Crimsons then I found the discounted black burst one
Word. Sorry if I made you relive any nightmares lol.

I ended up getting a fair deal on a used Blue in great shape. He should be shipping tomorrow but hey feel free to keep them pics coming.

There's a really nice looking top on a black one on reverb for a good price too but it has the binding issues as well.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
yall might have seen it but the km7 mk2 natural is on musicians friend stupid deal of the hour/day today for $850 instead of the black for almost 1500

thought someone might be interested

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
And yesterday the GC daily deal was the reverse - the black was $849. I've got one on the way :)

Why is one mk2 $1149 and another $1469?? The specs appear to be the same (unless GC is incorrect) https://www.guitarcenter.com/search...omRecentHistory=false&Ntt=schecter+km-7+mk-II
The cheaper one is the original MKII with the passive Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient while the more expensive one is the newer MKII model with Keith's signature Fishman Fluence pickups.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Does the new Hybrid model only have one pickup voicing? It doesn't say in the specs that it has a push pull pot.
I wish the artist came in that white finish.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Ahh ok that is what I thought. I guess I could just wire an on off on mini toggle if I bought one.
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if they are modified pickups that have one voicing no matter what or if it just isn't wired for two voicings and can be added later on. I feel like it might be a modified pickup with the voice 2 being removed all together. I'm not sure who to ask though, Fishman or Schecter about it.