Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthony.drake

Reaction score
save the capacitor, that's what helps mitigate the high end as you roll down the knob. or don't if you want to retain more of the core treble when you roll the knob down.

The cap across the volume lugs is one way to wire a treble bleed, and actually does the opposite. It retains treble when the volume is rolled down, not vice versa.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whoknewdean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Longtime lurker in need of some advice.

I'm currently in the market for a new 7-string and I've settled on the KM-7. I really like the Nazgul/Sentient combo, so I'm going to purchase either a lambo orange MK-I or a NATP Mk-II (Duncan version).

I really prefer the look of the orange MK-I, but is there any reason why I should get the Mk-II instead? I know earlier models had some electronic issues, but I'm comfortable replacing pots and whatnot. Is the compensated nut on the Mk-II worth going that direction?

Thanks for the help!

Snarpaasi

Reaction score

I'm currently in the market for a new 7-string and I've settled on the KM-7. I really like the Nazgul/Sentient combo, so I'm going to purchase either a lambo orange MK-I or a NATP Mk-II (Duncan version).

I really prefer the look of the orange MK-I, but is there any reason why I should get the Mk-II instead? I know earlier models had some electronic issues, but I'm comfortable replacing pots and whatnot. Is the compensated nut on the Mk-II worth going that direction?

Thanks for the help!

One reason I noticed right after getting my MK-1 is it doesn't have the forearm contour which feels a bit sharp at first.

Strtsmthng

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely, carved vs. Beveled top is certainly a matter of aesthetic and ergonomic preferences.

One reason I noticed right after getting my MK-1 is it doesn't have the forearm contour which feels a bit sharp at first.

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
Don't know if this being asked/answered before, and I apologize in advance if that's the case, but going through 244 pages of threads, and google searches seemed a bit hectic.

My question is... What's the difference between the Artist and the Studio? And also, is the Studio discontinued? Is it the Artist a more affordable version of the Studio, and the Standard a more affordable version of the Pro?

This series has been a little bit confusing to me, as to what is what, sorry again if this has been addressed before.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Don't know if this being asked/answered before, and I apologize in advance if that's the case, but going through 244 pages of threads, and google searches seemed a bit hectic.

My question is... What's the difference between the Artist and the Studio? And also, is the Studio discontinued? Is it the Artist a more affordable version of the Studio, and the Standard a more affordable version of the Pro?

This series has been a little bit confusing to me, as to what is what, sorry again if this has been addressed before.

Normal Spec: Studio - original US custom shop, Artist - original South Korean import, Standard - original Indonesian import, Pro - second US custom shop
Different Spec: Hybrid - South Korean import, Stage - US custom shop

My understanding is the Pro replaced the Studio, or at least the Studio is no longer advertised on the Schecter website. The Hybrid/Stage offer a slightly toned down/simplified spec in a sleeker package.

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
Normal Spec: Studio - original US custom shop, Artist - original South Korean import, Standard - original Indonesian import, Pro - second US custom shop
Different Spec: Hybrid - South Korean import, Stage - US custom shop

My understanding is the Pro replaced the Studio, or at least the Studio is no longer advertised on the Schecter website. The Hybrid/Stage offer a slightly toned down/simplified spec in a sleeker package.
Thanks for the info.

The Pro is Bolt-On, whereas the Studio was Neck-Thru.

I was under the impression, the Artist was the import version of the Studio, and the Standard was the import version of the Pro. But wasn't (and still) not sure.

The Studio is in the "Vault" section of Schecter's website, and could only find one retailer offering to buy them by special order (don't know how legit this is).

Like I said... confusing series of guitars hahahaha!!!

bastardbullet

Reaction score
Wowzer!

B271960B-0BD7-45B5-A725-1A4B68FBD9C2.jpeg

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!
I haven't played a Mk II, so I can't comment on them, but I can say that my Mk I is about as good a guitar for the money I've ever owned, seeing as I got it used for $525. That said, I was, at first, really down on the Nazgul, as I thought it sounded really dry/brittle/hollow, but the lower I started tuning the better the Nazgul began to sound. The one thing they could have done better on mine though were the frets. For a MIK guitar at this price point it's something they they should've got before they shipped this one out.

Looking at eBay/Reverb right now, I'm only seeing one good deal on a KM-7, and that's a used one in white going for $630 shipped. Everything else I'm seeing is in the $700+ range. Is a used KM-7 still a good deal used at those prices? Depends, I guess, on your expectations. The Lambo Orange though.... I should've got one when I had the chance.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!
I can only speak for the MK-II so between me and Carl maybe we can give you a full picture haha. The MK-II is one of the best guitars for the price I've ever played and doesn't have any QC issues I can find.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Hopefuly this one might get a chance, btw agreed with chrome covers.
it's such a basic combo, gloss black with white binding, that it honestly boggles me that it's not done more often. the only guitars I can think of which share that same finish are the Mick Thompson Ibanez/Jackson sigs and a handful of normal Ibanez RGs (ie: RG2EX1, Iron Labels, RG2717FX, etc). like seriously it's such a classy, simple look, I'd take it any day of the week over a cheap burl or flamed veneer on these more affordable guitars.

sleewell

Reaction score
my band played in a field this weekend. brought the KM-7 and it fucking killed. like killed it to the point where everyone was commenting on how that should be my main guitar moving forward and how it was such a great purchase for our sound. now i cant stop thinking about playing it haha.

the neck is slimmer than i'm used to and i really noticed it and like it. didn't need them to play outside in the day time but its going to be nice to have the luminary side dots.

the sustainiac is so fucking cool. i have a couple of intro and outro parts that it works on perfectly. going from the 2nd position to the 3rd while you are holding the note creates a really cool harmonic that is sweet. the stock bridge pickup is great, no need to replace.

i didnt use the floyd much, still learning it to be honest but it stayed in tune really well. i did pull up on it a little bit a few times in one chorus that seemed to fit really well. a few ring out endings i added some with it, nothing crazy but its going to be fun to find the right places for it.

lastly the color is out of this world in person. it just pops and the pics online dont really do it justice like in person.

LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!! i'd like to add the neon green one or the new yellow one at some point.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Black KM-7 mkii is the GC daily deal again - $699!! That's an insane price for a guitar of the quality/specs that it is.
I picked one up! I've missed my KM7 MKII ever since I sold it two years ago. Considering this one has the Fishmans in it, I just couldn't pass it up. Thanks for the heads up!