Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMegaFan

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I’m testing my new 4K set up with my sweet Schecter KM7!
Don’t hesitate to suggest me your advice, I’m a total noob concerning filming! :)

Reactions: Jan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i dunno if anyone else think the Nazgul bridge pickup is a little to spiky, but i swapped mine with the neck position instead of the bridge, and i am pleased with the outcome. i have now SD sentiel in the bridge and SD Nazgul in the neck. sound is more like my Blackout Seven pickups. I like it.

Day of the Ed

Reaction score
Hey everyone, well I took the bait and bought my first 7 string at almost $700 off from GC about 2 weeks ago. Got the see through black pearl KM-7 MK-II with KM Fishman fluence. I’m in love with it, I’ve been a 6 string player for many years and can’t put it down. The transition from 6 to 7 strings was seamless.

I have a question on the pickup voicing. The tag on the vol knob says pulled is voice 1 and push voice 2 (see attached pic). Is that right? I feel like the bridge is a little hotter on the push (shouldn’t voice 2 be lower output?). Maybe the label is reversed.

I’m just not sure what voicing I’m using. Thanks

D81119DE-CA66-4571-BD69-4C02C8786980.jpeg

jwoods986

Reaction score
Congrats on a sweet guitar, at a great price! I felt the same about the voice naming, like 'Push' should be voice 1 and 'Pull' voice 2, but I guess as long as you know the difference in tone and which one you want to use, it doesn't really matter what they're called, right?

Unfortunately, I returned mine. I'm having some hand issues lately, and the wider fretboard vs a 6 (although it was nice and slim front-to-back) plus the 26.5" scale, just killed my hands after a weekend of playing it. :(
Which is too bad, because the guitar itself was awesome! Without my hand issues, that would have been the 7 for me. But now I'm keeping an eye out for a sweet deal on a KM6 mk-II :)

Day of the Ed

Reaction score
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully that deal comes around soon for you. I haven’t tried the KM6 mkii, but I’m sure it’s killer. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I agree it doesn’t matter what they are called as long as I like the tones. I was just wondering for the sake of knowing when discussing the pickups with others.

I also emailed schecter and the tech said the same thing. Push down is voice 1 and pulled is voice 2.

fatalfable

Reaction score
has anyone put straplocks on the km-ii? dunlops specifically. one of the strap buttons goes through the back of the top horn. never had a guitar this way. just want to make sure the screw isnt too long or different sized or any other problems someone might've ran into.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Hey everyone, well I took the bait and bought my first 7 string at almost $700 off from GC about 2 weeks ago. Got the see through black pearl KM-7 MK-II with KM Fishman fluence. I’m in love with it, I’ve been a 6 string player for many years and can’t put it down. The transition from 6 to 7 strings was seamless.

I have a question on the pickup voicing. The tag on the vol knob says pulled is voice 1 and push voice 2 (see attached pic). Is that right? I feel like the bridge is a little hotter on the push (shouldn’t voice 2 be lower output?). Maybe the label is reversed.

I’m just not sure what voicing I’m using. Thanks

View attachment 77842

Yeah me too. I bought a Fluence KM-8 set about a week ago.

After following original wiring recommendation, i felt that bridge pickup is also little bit hotter on voice 2 rather than voice 1.

Maybe Keith decided that way if he want a higher output on 2nd voicing?

Day of the Ed

Reaction score
Yeah me too. I bought a Fluence KM-8 set about a week ago.

After following original wiring recommendation, i felt that bridge pickup is also little bit hotter on voice 2 rather than voice 1.

Maybe Keith decided that way if he want a higher output on 2nd voicing?

That’s interesting, I was confused because I thought most Schecters with fishman’s had voice 1 on the push position and voice 2 on the pull position (I could be wrong). The Fishman site describes the KM bridge pickup as being medium output on voice 1 and low output on voice 2.

So having voice 2 (according to the tag on the knob) sound higher output to my ears compared to voice 1 confused me. So I posted here and also emailed schecter support to see if anyone knew the correct settings.
The tech from schecter basically said the positions were opposite to the tag.

I don’t know what’s what. Loving the guitar and the sounds, though. This does not take away any pleasure and fun with the guitar.

fatalfable

Reaction score
has anyone put straplocks on the km-ii? dunlops specifically. one of the strap buttons goes through the back of the top horn. never had a guitar this way. just want to make sure the screw isnt too long or different sized or any other problems someone might've ran into.
correction. meant the km mk III

alvaro89

Reaction score
Hi guys ! You two have brought us a great tutorial, that actually works perfectly, of how to make that posible for many MKII owners like me. Thank you !!

I wanted to do that mod on mine as soon as I saw the MKIII, but I was afraid of damaging something on electronics.

I still have a couple of questions about what kind of DPDT or SPDT switch to buy:
Amperage and Voltage does matter?

Can someone owning an original KMIII make a picture or tell us all what ampere and volt has the original fishman wiring from factory? and what manufacturer is?

Thanks once again !

Please someone help me with this matter :)

musicman61554

Reaction score
So quick ?, has all of the QC issues been figured out? I remember when the MKIII released it was very rough.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I caved and bought a MKII that had been haunting me on musicgoround for the past month. Couldn't say no after a second price drop.

I wasn't big on the design when these came out but they've really grown on me and between the blowout pricing and some of the deals I've seen, it seems like nothing really competes with the value.

Mraz

Reaction score
So boys, I have a purchase of a 7 string coming up..

I am between the KM-7 MKIII TBB and a
Solar 1.7A LTD (I would equip it with KM Fluences).

The solar is cheaper with the upgrade and routing.. and it has an evertune, but I am not sure about the build quality.

I hope I find someone on here who maybe owns both.. and can help me out with this.

Also KMIII experience reports.. (please no fanboying, but real talk.. pos/neg)

How is the build quality from Shecter in general? (I know Merrow left strictly 7 because of the lack of it)

MrWulf

Reaction score
Schecter is great in general in term of production quality. Anything from WMI are generally solid and excellent. Barring some lemons i think you'd be happy with a KM

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Got a pretty solid deal on a MK-II and I'm REALLY blown away with it. Neck is super comfortable and definitely on the thinner side for a 7 string. The bevels are super comfortable as a fat dude and the pickups are the first time I've ever not been borderline disgusted with the Nazgul/Sentient combo. I used to own a Banshee-7 with them and tried a few guitars with them and I thought they were gross pretty much every time. Plus I've been GASing for a natural finish guitar for a while now

Last edited:

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a victim of the common scratchy electronics and about to change the pot from my MK-1. I noticed there's a some sort of capacitor. I thought to leave it out with the new pot but does it make my guitar sound brighter or is it a treble bleed or smth? Never seen one in vol pot.

Other than that, I've had my KM-7 MK-1 now for a bit over six months and I'm really happy with it. It feels slick due to the SS frets and rings loud and punchy.

If something else, I'd ask for help with action. I've been playing for a long long time with relatively high action so that the notes ring out loud and no string buzzes or dies on bending. I'd like to try something lower and I don't know how people get that insanely low actions without fret buzz. Is it even possible? My 7th string is 66 in drop Bb and I keep it significantly higher than the other strings to avoid string buzz on hit. I pick quite hard though.

It was a PITA to find a suitable hex key though since I own like five 1,5mm keys for the "standard screws" but nothing less.

Last edited:

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
So boys, I have a purchase of a 7 string coming up..

I am between the KM-7 MKIII TBB and a
Solar 1.7A LTD (I would equip it with KM Fluences).

The solar is cheaper with the upgrade and routing.. and it has an evertune, but I am not sure about the build quality.

I hope I find someone on here who maybe owns both.. and can help me out with this.

Also KMIII experience reports.. (please no fanboying, but real talk.. pos/neg)

How is the build quality from Shecter in general? (I know Merrow left strictly 7 because of the lack of it)

Mine (MKiii artist) had a bit of a pot issue that was easily fixed with compressed air. Other than that it has been perfect.
No Finish Flaws
Super low action
Super resonant
Great Tuning stability

Im going to get a 6 string version next.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a victim of the common scratchy electronics and about to change the pot from my MK-1. I noticed there's a some sort of capacitor. I thought to leave it out with the new pot but does it make my guitar sound brighter or is it a treble bleed or smth? Never seen one in vol pot.

Other than that, I've had my KM-7 MK-1 now for a bit over six months and I'm really happy with it. It feels slick due to the SS frets and rings loud and punchy.

If something else, I'd ask for help with action. I've been playing for a long long time with relatively high action so that the notes ring out loud and no string buzzes or dies on bending. I'd like to try something lower and I don't know how people get that insanely low actions without fret buzz. Is it even possible? My 7th string is 66 in drop Bb and I keep it significantly higher than the other strings to avoid string buzz on hit. I pick quite hard though.

It was a PITA to find a suitable hex key though since I own like five 1,5mm keys for the "standard screws" but nothing less.
save the capacitor, that's what helps mitigate the high end as you roll down the knob. or don't if you want to retain more of the core treble when you roll the knob down.