SevenString Software Upgrade

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Eh, debatable. I believe having the text span the whole width of the screen is considered bad
Good point, extremely wide text areas are harder to read, and i realised this after i posted. So i retract that specific complaint. However ...
That being said, it disappears way too late when testing resizing the window
This is a problem.
Not hopeful the software provides a setting for it though.

And i will mention again the problem that the text in the posting field is too small. This is the only website i use i have to magnify.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Anyone else suddenly getting a "Trending Threads Newsletter"? I definitely didn't sign up for a newsletter.

Yeah, I'm getting those from SevenString, TGP, and some other guitar forums I'm a user of (and whose newsletters I was not subscribed to). I just got the emails and unsubscribed from the newsletters.

I'm guessing they updated the software for every "sister" site / forum and some settings got reset to their defaults.

OTOH I think the new forum works / looks great. I mean, it's almost the same as before, but a bit more modern, streamlined, or whatever.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks ok to me now that the fonts are white again.

laxu

Reaction score
Several issues:

* Where the hell is the ability to make numbered or bulleted lists?
* Why is the post/comment toolbar truncated pointlessly, there's plenty of space to show them!
* The text size for writing posts is massively smaller than the text size of the comments themselves. For no good reason. I'm not writing for ants!

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why the fuck is my page covered in ads now. This sucks.
This is definitely a problem. I abandoned MG.org after the new owner's last round of changes and their big FU to privacy.

Did anybody else lose the text selection color? It makes it very hard to edit posts. Why is that even being messed with? It should be left to the user's device's defaults.

Last edited:

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
* Where the hell is the ability to make numbered or bulleted lists?

Five important points:
  • Lists do work
  • You just have to type out the BBCode by hand
  • The BBCode is "list" and "/list" in square brackets
  • Then you put an * in square brackets ahead of each item
  • You can do sub-items apparently, because I made it do the hollow bullet point with extra indent but I don't know what I did to actually make that happen.

It looks like this:

(click to get fullsize)

And it is of course a pain in the arse 🤣

laxu

Reaction score
Five important points:
  • Lists do work
  • You just have to type out the BBCode by hand
  • The BBCode is "list" and "/list" in square brackets
  • Then you put an * in square brackets ahead of each item
  • You can do sub-items apparently, because I made it do the hollow bullet point with extra indent but I don't know what I did to actually make that happen.

It looks like this:

(click to get fullsize)

And it is of course a pain in the arse 🤣
Yeah since the software afaik supports lists it should just be a button in there.

If some of you use Stylus or similar CSS stylesheet injector, here's some fixes:

.p-body-main.p-body-main--withSidebar {
display: block;
}

.p-body-content {
}

.p-sidebarWrapper {
display: none;
}

.fr-box.fr-basic .fr-element {
font-size: 14px;
}

#qc-cmp2-container {
}

This code will hide the useless side "latest posts" section and expand the thread list to full width of its container. It will also set edit box text size to 14 pixels like in comments and will also hide that stupid "Privacy" button we EU users see.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Yeah since the software afaik supports lists it should just be a button in there.

If some of you use Stylus or similar CSS stylesheet injector, here's some fixes:

.p-body-main.p-body-main--withSidebar {
}

.p-body-content {
}

.p-sidebarWrapper {
}

.fr-box.fr-basic .fr-element {
font-size: 14px;
}

#qc-cmp2-container {
}

This code will hide the useless side "latest posts" section and expand the thread list to full width of its container. It will also set edit box text size to 14 pixels like in comments and will also hide that stupid "Privacy" button we EU users see.

I can confirm that this fine man's CSS does work as advertised in Stylus 👍

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Looks like fonts are white again. Yay!

Looks ok to me now that the fonts are white again.

1644546943192.png

I will say, I LOVE the abillity to re-size images after I've pasted them into the post text box. I'll need to test to see if there's a way to do it on mobile, especially with attached files. Mobile screenshots are HUGE.

I would also say that the current biggest annoyances for me are:
  • how small the text is in the post text box.
  • the faint highlight for selected text in the post text box
  • The too-subtle difference between read and unread posts in my notifications drop-down.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 103137

I will say, I LOVE the abillity to re-size images after I've pasted them into the post text box. I'll need to test to see if there's a way to do it on mobile, especially with attached files. Mobile screenshots are HUGE.

I would also say that the current biggest annoyances for me are:
  • how small the text is in the post text box.
  • the faint highlight for selected text in the post text box
  • The too-subtle difference between read and unread posts in my notifications drop-down.

Let's not split hairs, shall we? They are back to the color they were before, which is what matters :lol:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
On mobile the new colours give me bad eye strain in less than a minute. I’ve never experienced that before. Are there options for users to change font or colours?

New font is much easier on the eyes. No more eye strain!

Delete social media and 99% of the internet and I wouldn't care but I was getting worried I couldn't use this forum anymore.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
New font is much easier on the eyes. No more eye strain!

Delete social media and 99% of the internet and I wouldn't care but I was getting worried I couldn't use this forum anymore.
No joke, literally only place I frequent anymore. Sometimes the kiesel BBS but no fb twitter insta etc. Just work and SSO.

Latest posts