Slipknot Megathread- New Slipknot song & video/Firing of Chris Fehn

• Thread starter Triple-J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Speaking of Jim working in other projects. In case someone missed it back in the day, check out him rocking an Ibanez 8-string in this video at 0:09.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
2 minutes in and my initial reaction is "Where are the drum fills?" Definitely missing Joey on this track.

On a separate note, I'm always surprised by the number of people who claim Iowa as their favorite Slipknot album. Their self-titled work is still one of the most chaotic and primal-sounding metal albums I've ever listened to. I'll never forget the first time I listened to (sic), followed by Eyeless - that experience was like getting hit in the face with a cement roller.

I put it right up there with Iowa. I absolutely love the first album. I checked it out at a listening station in my local music store when it came out, and 3 seconds into (sic)...I was sold.

lewis

Reaction score
I put it right up there with Iowa. I absolutely love the first album. I checked it out at a listening station in my local music store when it came out, and 3 seconds into (sic)...I was sold.
and live those era songs translated brilliantly.

A complete onslaught. Brutality from start to finish.

Last time I saw Slipknot in 2013, i was bitterly disappointed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SD83

Reaction score
5) the talk/hype - this is really where I know they have gone down hill. Older, top of their game Slipknot never had to come out with statements in the press about how amazing their forthcoming album will be. And how its the "heaviest" (which is just nonsense based on this single)
What makes that even more stupid to me is that Corey himself has gone on record stating "if you have to tell others you're the greatest... you aren't", and the same applies to the music. All this heaviest, best, fastest, whateverest bullshit that so many bands do has become really annoying. I think most bands want to believe that their latest output is their best, and that's OK, but there's no need to be THAT vocal about it.

That said, I like the new song a lot, but I also loved .5. A lot. My favourite Slipknot album, and fifteen years after first listening to "Wait and bleed", it was only the last few years that I would consider myself a fan of theirs. First two records were good, interesting, crazy, but not something that I would listen to on a regular basis, let alone the full record in one go. On repeat. "Vol.3" was rather disappointing, and "All hope is gone" even more so, I totally wrote that band off for me after that record. Best songwriting? Maybe. But to be fair, all I want from Slipknot is a handful of lines I can sing/scream along and music that I can jump/push people around to. With the occasional ballad. There are bands that are way heavier (just been through the new Black Tongue record... :D ), do this or that better, but ".5: The gray chapter" was pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear from Slipknot, and it seems they're continuing on that road so... cringy comments, cringy singer, I still think I'll love the new record :D

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
What makes that even more stupid to me is that Corey himself has gone on record stating "if you have to tell others you're the greatest... you aren't", and the same applies to the music. All this heaviest, best, fastest, whateverest bullshit that so many bands do has become really annoying. I think most bands want to believe that their latest output is their best, and that's OK, but there's no need to be THAT vocal about it.

While I understand this sentiment, I wouldn't want to just hear "We just wrote some average songs, some fast, some heavy" from a band, nor would it help foster any excitement about the album.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
All out Life - 1 listen.
I haven't listened to Slipknot in a long, but I like this new song.
My Pros: It reminded me a lot of the first album, I felt it had that same groove, that same soundscape (noise-samples and keg-ping sounds). I liked the blast beats at the end. The song kept my attention the whole time.
My Cons: I wish the guitars were a little nastier sounding tone-wise. I wish the vocals were a bit louder. I thought the 'lead' near the end was a bit lame.
Overall: thumbs up.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I do like it, but since I saw some unpopular opinions I'll give mine:

Mate Feed Kill Repeat is the best Slipknot album that exists, even though it's not a proper album. I was really sad that they never incorporated that jazzy stuff into the newer records. it sounded like a chaotic mix between Pantera and Mr. Bungle. It's awesome. And after Corey joined my favorite is Vol. 3.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I like the song. The mid-section could've been shorter, but they continue to have some weird directions in their songwriting, unexpected, which is a good thing. It's heavy, it's energetic.

My favourite of theirs is S/T by some distance, and while it's their second best and of course it has a lot of live favourites on it I don't reeeeally get the Iowa adoration in direct comparison, it sounds a lot more like a conventional metal record to me.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I'm sure Jim's tele and strat sigs with the EMGs have a lot to do with it.

guitar shape has nothing to do with it..... unless you were refering to the EMGs being the reason

but reason why the trebely sound is because there are 9 of them and they need to give space to all of them into the mix/live.... Something Mick said years ago in an interview. Reason why his sound was so thin was so he wouldnt fight to hear his guitar in the mix

Reactions: fps

fps

Kit
Reaction score
guitar shape has nothing to do with it..... unless you were refering to the EMGs being the reason

but reason why the trebely sound is because there are 9 of them and they need to give space to all of them into the mix/live.... Something Mick said years ago in an interview. Reason why his sound was so thin was so he wouldnt fight to hear his guitar in the mix

It's funny that a band as big as Slipknot appears to do its recording fairly quickly. I wonder if they use a lot of their live tones in the studio. I say they appear to record fairly quickly because the guitars, for instance, are never quite perfect, there are always bits where they're slightly in/out of each other. It does help it to feel more like a performance than an assemblage of parts though.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Bland, boring, generic on all fronts. Slipknot fell off so, so hard after Iowa, I can't think of another band that went off a cliff as fast as them. From a vital metal band to a bland Stone Sour in suits hard rock / genero-metal act in the space of one album.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Really surprised by the diversity of opinions here. I’ve really enjoyed all Slipknot albums in their own ways

Early stuff was just chaotic with tons of energy

Vol 3 had really good songwriting. Vermillion, Before I Forget etc are amazing songs.

AHIG has amazing tracks too. Crazy riffing as shown above. Snuff stands out as a really powerful ballad.

Gray chapter was the most boring so far IMO. And this track seems to be a continuation of that.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Really surprised by the diversity of opinions here. I’ve really enjoyed all Slipknot albums in their own ways

Early stuff was just chaotic with tons of energy

Vol 3 had really good songwriting. Vermillion, Before I Forget etc are amazing songs.

AHIG has amazing tracks too. Crazy riffing as shown above. Snuff stands out as a really powerful ballad.

Gray chapter was the most boring so far IMO. And this track seems to be a continuation of that.

I thought Gray Chapter was very good and it's a varied charged listen. AHIG I think is utterly useless, a total damp squib. Opinions!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So since there isn't really a Slipknot thread, I guess I'll just necrobump this one.

What the hell is up with Chris Fehn, and who in the world can they get that can hit baseball bats against steel barrels like he did?