Smash Thread

• Thread starter Ordacleaphobia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
Do you remap the tilt attacks is to the R stick ? I tried it after reading about it online and it seems to work better.

So I’m doing that if I hold a and push left stick I get a smash attack yeah ?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
their b attacks are their only real saving grace. I love actually connecting with the axes, they do so much damage. All of their A attacks are pretty shit tbh. The belmonts are just way more situational than other relatively well rounded characters like young link/pit/fox
Lately I've been playing a lot of incineroar (who's a ton of fun but has an unbelievably bad recovery move). His clothesline chains and down spikes are the tits though.

Those are both characters I’ve been using for that reason. They are maybe “mid tier” but have unique moves that can be abused. And YES. That axe is a mobile smash attack.

Also I didn’t play the last one to know how good Bayonetta was in the past. But I feel like the AI is way better with her and other fast characters than I’ll eeeeeeever be.

wankerness

Reaction score
Do you remap the tilt attacks is to the R stick ? I tried it after reading about it online and it seems to work better.

Kind of. You have to hit them simultaneously, but you can keep holding a to charge it up for more damage.

I did that tilt attack mapping to stick thing, too, just cause I didn’t really even know they existed until this game. I don’t always successfully do a smash attack when I want to with the manual method though so I dunno.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

Yeah, tilts on the c stick is the way to go. It's way harder to do a tilt normally than to do a directional smash attack normally, so I prefer it. Also, there are no air tilts so when you're in the air the c stick just does directional air attacks.

Other things to consider is that you can do smash attacks and tilts straight out of a dash without lag, and you can press x/y and a at the the same time to go straight into an air attack. The game buffers more inputs than older versions.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I meant keeping 85% of cast being locked away when you buy the game is crappy. Not that the characters are crappy.

I actually really enjoyed this :lol:
Something about unlocking characters is painful but really fun to me. Nostalgia I guess. Instantly went back to playing Melee in the early 2000s waiting for Mewtwo to show up :lol:

their b attacks are their only real saving grace. I love actually connecting with the axes, they do so much damage. All of their A attacks are pretty shit tbh. The belmonts are just way more situational than other relatively well rounded characters like young link/pit/fox
Lately I've been playing a lot of incineroar (who's a ton of fun but has an unbelievably bad recovery move). His clothesline chains and down spikes are the tits though.

Yeah me and a buddy are really digging the belmonts too. He plays the spacing game and I try to force them into a more cqc type role. The down tilt slide->kick is DEADLY on walk off maps if you can get someone anywhere close to the side of the map- I got a KO the other day at 20% with it. Neutral air is great and the up b / down air moves play really nicely with each other and can lead to some pretty devastating early KOs if you set them up right.

wankerness

Reaction score
I love the belmonts except for their crappy save and the holy water that seems impossible to use where you want it.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I love the belmonts except for their crappy save and the holy water that seems impossible to use where you want it.

Yeah their recovery is pretty trash. I find that I end up trapped facing away from the stage more often with them too- and their recovery isn't one that plays nicely with that at all

Mathemagician

Reaction score
My mapping tips:

-Turn off up to jump.
-Remap tilt attack to right stick as you can now immediately do them straight out of a dash
-use A+B for smash attacks it’s instant and can be held to charge without missing
-turn off vibrations useless source of feedback/aggravation
-Also jump+A is a super short hop attack that can be combo’d from

Practice your dashing & fast falling.

Note: I stole all of these from smash players on the YouTube.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah their recovery is pretty trash. I find that I end up trapped facing away from the stage more often with them too- and their recovery isn't one that plays nicely with that at all

Yeah. There are a few characters with directional saves. I'm never consistently facing the right way. I think you have to actually turn and THEN do the save, it seems like hitting like up-left + B still has you facing right for the save if you were facing right before you hit it. Infuriating! The belmonts are less frustrating in this regard cause I usually would have died anyway as their save has such a puny height on it :D

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Yeah. There are a few characters with directional saves. I'm never consistently facing the right way. I think you have to actually turn and THEN do the save, it seems like hitting like up-left + B still has you facing right for the save if you were facing right before you hit it. Infuriating! The belmonts are less frustrating in this regard cause I usually would have died anyway as their save has such a puny height on it :D

Yeah it seems like this was a change that was actually a reversion back to the older games, I remember 4 wasn't like this, but Melee definitely was. I didn't miss it lol. Makes the ledge game a bit more interesting though, I guess- if you can pressure it correctly.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like this was a change that was actually a reversion back to the older games, I remember 4 wasn't like this, but Melee definitely was. I didn't miss it lol. Makes the ledge game a bit more interesting though, I guess- if you can pressure it correctly.

Ah. I didn't remember it EVER being this way, but maybe I just was never playing characters with directional saves.

mongey

Reaction score
My mapping tips:

-Turn off up to jump.
-Remap tilt attack to right stick as you can now immediately do them straight out of a dash
-use A+B for smash attacks it’s instant and can be held to charge without missing
-turn off vibrations useless source of feedback/aggravation
-Also jump+A is a super short hop attack that can be combo’d from

Practice your dashing & fast falling.

Note: I stole all of these from smash players on the YouTube.
Tried all this and it works well.

Weird you can’t allcate x or y just to smash attack. You can do pretty much everything else.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
OH ALSO ALSO:

Map your directional pad to all be “shield”.

So when you’re lashing out of an attack that must be mashed you can just run your thumb in a circle and it counts as a separate input each time.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
OH ALSO ALSO:

Map your directional pad to all be “shield”.

So when you’re lashing out of an attack that must be mashed you can just run your thumb in a circle and it counts as a separate input each time.

But how can I style on kids after I land the perfect spike? Gotta have those taunts broh.
Style > Utility :lol:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
legit the only reason I've been playing king dedede is because he has such a dickish taunt

Are you talking about the crouch? Cause that's the best taunt he's got and it's not even an actual taunt :lol:
I was salty they removed Zelda's wave taunt at first but the new wave is so much more infuriating that I could not be more pleased.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
But how can I style on kids after I land the perfect spike? Gotta have those taunts broh.
Style > Utility :lol:
My brother plays Inceneroar a lot, mostly because there are no taunts online and Inceneroar has taunts built into all of his attacks.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Are you talking about the crouch? Cause that's the best taunt he's got and it's not even an actual taunt :lol:
I was salty they removed Zelda's wave taunt at first but the new wave is so much more infuriating that I could not be more pleased.
yeah, my bad, I meant his crouch, although his dance taunt is pretty good too.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
My brother plays Inceneroar a lot, mostly because there are no taunts online and Inceneroar has taunts built into all of his attacks.

Incineroar’s bounce off the rope is the most amazing attack ever. It’s like the world’s longest command grab. And that belly flop.

Latest posts