Smash Thread

• Thread starter Ordacleaphobia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I preordered it after I discovered that switch games never go down in price, ever! Amazon apparently gives you piranha plant if you preorder it too.

This will be my second switch game after a stick figure cowboy rpg. Hell yeah

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I also have it preordered. I guess I might actually utilize my nintendo online subscription now that smash has an online mode :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I preordered it after I discovered that switch games never go down in price, ever! Amazon apparently gives you piranha plant if you preorder it too.

This will be my second switch game after a stick figure cowboy rpg. Hell yeah
You get Pirahna Plant for registering the game with Nintendo Online before the middle of January. No release date for Pirahna Plant yet.

wankerness

Reaction score
Ah, so ANYONE that ordered it right away gets it? Damn you, Amazon. I knew it wasn't coming for a while. Oh well. I didn't pay extra.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Going to get it digital. I’ve grown to the first world level of hating changing cartridges/disks whenever possible.

wankerness

Reaction score
With all Sega's dealings with Nintendo, you'd think they could port 0 or Kiwami 1 or something!

I'm all about downloading on the PS4, but the Switch's miniscule harddrive has me leary. I did get a 128 gig expansion, but I'm still paranoid! I guess this isn't the PS4 where most games are like 35 gigs.

Not to mention, unlike PS4, if you sell a switch game you'll probably make back most of what you paid for it! PS4 games go from 60 to 10 in like 2 months it seems.

wankerness

Reaction score
Wait, what the hell? I thought you were referring to piranha plant. The one announced yesterday is incredible. I'm not a huge fan of the Joker character (Futaba and Makoto and maybe even Ann were way better, or we could have had Morgana with his main move telling the opponent they have to go to sleep and aren't allowed to do anything today), but the idea that this likely means we'll see Persona ports is mouthwatering.

Maybe we'll see a FFX/X-2/XIV character since those are all impending on Switch?? I feel like Joker is way more niche than FF, but then again Persona 5 seemed to be pretty big over in Japan when I was in Akihabara and these DLC characters aren't just for the US.

wankerness

Reaction score
I played this for 30 minutes over lunch. It plays the same as the last few, based on superficial impressions. The assist trophies seemed to work differently, but I always had items off when I played the last ones so I can't say that for sure. It spawned characters that followed me around like autonomous bots, and I got two at once. Guile was one of them!!

I wasn't expecting to only have 8 characters out of the box. But, in that 30 minutes, I unlocked a few (Ness, Zelda) and failed to unlock a third (Bowser blasted me right off a tiny stage in about 10 seconds) so it will probably go relatively quick. 60 more is a lot to unlock, though, if it happens only in single player and you can fail the unlock, which means you have to wait for a re-match instead of immediately getting another chance. All I want is Peach so I can hit people with golf clubs and frying pans again.

The switch controller in portable mode was hell on earth for this game. My right thumb cramped up badly just in that small amount of time.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Joker is going to be a DLC character?! Fuck yes!!!

Also, just grabbed my preorder. Will play it after son goes to bed. Or while he’s amusing himself with some other activity. Whichever.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I played this for 30 minutes over lunch. It plays the same as the last few, based on superficial impressions. The assist trophies seemed to work differently, but I always had items off when I played the last ones so I can't say that for sure. It spawned characters that followed me around like autonomous bots, and I got two at once. Guile was one of them!!

I wasn't expecting to only have 8 characters out of the box. But, in that 30 minutes, I unlocked a few (Ness, Zelda) and failed to unlock a third (Bowser blasted me right off a tiny stage in about 10 seconds) so it will probably go relatively quick. 60 more is a lot to unlock, though, if it happens only in single player and you can fail the unlock, which means you have to wait for a re-match instead of immediately getting another chance. All I want is Peach so I can hit people with golf clubs and frying pans again.

The switch controller in portable mode was hell on earth for this game. My right thumb cramped up badly just in that small amount of time.
You get the chance to unlock a character after every match you win in regular Smash mode. Then there's a 10 minute timer between each challenger approaching match, and a small distance you have to travel. You can rematch them in the extras menu.

The quickest way to unlock characters is to turn the game off and on to reset the timer. You have to close the software, not just escape to the home menu. Changing the language is apparently the quickest way to do this.

wankerness

Reaction score
Played for another hour, right hand cramped again! I unlocked another handful of dudes, though. Inkling is interesting. I mostly manage to kill myself by rolling back and forth until I go off the edge, but I can do a lot of damage really fast.

I just read that my wii-u GameCube adapter works with the switch dock, so thank Christ. Guess I’ll be playing this one on the TV.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
suddenly I regret buying a physical copy since I'm wasting time waiting for it to show up that I could spend playing :(

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Played for another hour, right hand cramped again! I unlocked another handful of dudes, though. Inkling is interesting. I mostly manage to kill myself by rolling back and forth until I go off the edge, but I can do a lot of damage really fast.

I just read that my wii-u GameCube adapter works with the switch dock, so thank Christ. Guess I’ll be playing this one on the TV.

Yeah I can't play with anything other than an actual controller. I'm surprised at how well the pro controller works for Smash, though- especially after being a GameCube purist all these years.
I can't get the hang of Inklings either yet, but I want to. They seem like a fun character.

I really enjoyed the unlocking process. Me and a couple buddies stayed up all night unlocking everyone in classic mode.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
It's Smash Bros x1000. It's fan service up the wazoo. And, well, it's awesome.

Got a few guys unlocked. Not sure how I feel about World of Light yet thought. Seems... needlessly complicated.

wankerness

Reaction score
I played it for about ten minutes, it did seem pretty dumb. The party seemed to be nothing other than buffs. But, I only played it for ten minutes!

I’m really, really rusty. The K Rool challenge fight kicked my ass. :( I only have about 12 guys unlocked, I’ve been busy with other stuff.

The GameCube controller, while still the most comfortable option and built like granite, has a terrible R button. The janky spring in it makes blocking far less responsive than on the newfangled modern controllers that are otherwise inferior.

wankerness

Reaction score
I unlocked a bunch more dudes. Ridley is, IMO, unusable on any level with a lot of skinny platforms, as his main attack basically shoots you forwards quite a ways and then downwards, making it ripe for going off edges and dying instantly cause you're still locked in the attack animation. Kinda like the down+b attack for Zero Suit Samus. On the right stages, he's pretty awesome, but I was mostly just killing myself on the "wrong" stages. Unfortunately, I keep getting the basic pallette swaps like Lucina and Daisy. I want Rosalina and Snake! I haven't really looked at the character lists, so I look forward to being surprised by some of them.

King K Rool is quite good, and is also possibly the best I've encountered so far for cheesing against computers, which is occasionally useful - some of the "challenger approaching" guys will melt your face (ex, King Dee Dee beat the snot out of me more than once with air juggles from 1-70% and then again from 70%-dead!), while others are basically punching bags, it's such a crapshoot. He's got extremely powerful projectile weapons, can vacuum up the other player if the cannonball misses and then shoot them way back out of melee range again, has a save that goes REALLY high, and actually moves/punches pretty quickly. Plus, you can smash the other guy into the floor! He's now in my rotation of characters I feel comfortable playing as along with Samus/Peach. I unlocked a bunch more guys, too, I think I'm up to 36 or so. This is a slow project if you don't do the reset/1 second game spam trick.

I got one of the Castlevania guys, who I haven't played with more than once or twice. I like that they gave him the exact same projectile weapons as the NES game, but unfortunately they also totally suck in this game IMO. I successfully hit people with axes and holy water about 0 times, haha. The basic attacks with the whip are great, though.

I still loathe some of the levels. You end up basically fighting the level on some of these, like especially the side-scrollers. Unlocking Ridley on Brinstar, which I always avoided on previous games and thus didn't know all the new gimmicks for (ex, huge lava wall approaching from either side, or the "safe tube" before a lava wave) and thus caused me to lose a couple times on the unlock fights. Blurgh. I heard there were settings to turn off different "threats" on levels, which I might have to experiment with.