Smash Thread

• Thread starter Ordacleaphobia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Smash Ultimate is launching in a week and there are people on this board, right now, who AREN'T excited as hell to play Ridley.

I figure Smash is a huge game and probably one of the best games to kick back and play with the squad, so there's got to be a few of us into it around here; may as well have a thread and spread some friend codes, know'msayin?

So my dudes- who do you main? Who do you expect to main? Who do you want to dabble with? What are you excited about?

I'm a Zelda main tried and true since Brawl. Stoked to see the new changes to her, but I'm pretty sure I'm probably going to end up maining Ridley. Haven't been this stoked for a video game in about a literal decade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I haven't seen any videos, so maybe Ridley is lightning quick and small, but I historically haven't liked the clunkiness of "big" characters. Although Ganon was really fun in the Wii-U version.

I just bought a Switch because I'm terrible with money, so I'll get this sooner or later.

I never played any of the versions to the point of being "good" at them, but I always played Peach and started playing Zelda after they separated Sheik.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
fox. always fox, ever since smash 64. i've dabbled in other characters enough to the point to get good with them, but he's always been my favorite. he's so versatile. link was always pretty good too, but i never got his edge trapping down with the hookshot.

i hope this version is as fast feeling as melee, since the smash on wii was a loooot slower feeling comparatively.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I haven't seen any videos, so maybe Ridley is lightning quick and small, but I historically haven't liked the clunkiness of "big"
characters. Although Ganon was really fun in the Wii-U version.

Hooooo, absolutely not- he a big boi. He looks fun though, fast for a "big" character, and his moveset looks really interesting.
And he's just cool as hell as a character which is really the part that matters. :lol:
Had a blast with Ganon in WiiU too. Although it became a thing in our group where if someone picked Ganon the other 3 did too, but....still fun. The suicide grab will never stop being amusing.

fox. always fox, ever since smash 64. i've dabbled in other characters enough to the point to get good with them, but he's always been my favorite. he's so versatile. link was always pretty good too, but i never got his edge trapping down with the hookshot.

i hope this version is as fast feeling as melee, since the smash on wii was a loooot slower feeling comparatively.

Fox is one of the few characters I never actually got good with :lol: I couldn't ever chain the combos together that made him such a killer pick.
Had a lot of fun with Falco in Melee though. Never played 64, adored Melee, hated Brawl, and was satisfied with Smash Wii U- so I'm hoping for somewhere in between Melee/Smash Wii U in terms of gameplay, which sounds like what we're getting so I'm pretty hyped.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I play a lot of Smash Bros, and when I say a lot I mean that our internet is terrible and cuts out a lot so my brother needs someone to practice on. I'm ok at Smash Bros, but my brother is really good. He was 9th at Smash Con for Wii U, and a few months ago Nintendo invited him over to London to play the new game and play in a tournament. I should amend that, I don't play a lot of Smash Bros, I lose a lot of Smash Bros.

That said, Roy's Our Boy!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ike was who I played all the time. Started using Diddy Kong, and look forward to trying to get good with a faster character.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I play a lot of Smash Bros, and when I say a lot I mean that our internet is terrible and cuts out a lot so my brother needs someone to practice on. I'm ok at Smash Bros, but my brother is really good. He was 9th at Smash Con for Wii U, and a few months ago Nintendo invited him over to London to play the new game and play in a tournament. I should amend that, I don't play a lot of Smash Bros, I lose a lot of Smash Bros.

That said, Roy's Our Boy!

Haha I'm that brother, nowhere near as good as yours, but I feel bad for my little brother sometimes. Me and my friends play this game a lot. Coincidentally, he also plays Roy :lol:
Who's actually supposed to be one of the best characters in Ultimate, from what I've heard. Could be exciting, I like Roy. Hope they improved his recovery a bit.

wankerness

Reaction score
I never got into all those fire emblem characters. Guys with swords suck. Link included! My friend had Cloud, though, who was kind of amusing.

Yeah, I didn’t like what little of the Wii version that I played.

I played the n64 one a lot when it was new. Essentially, the characters had the same moves, but they were wildly imbalanced. Like, Samus’s screw attack did about 3-4x more damage than it has in subsequent versions, as did Donkey Kong’s ground pound, and the maps were much smaller, so we usually ended up spamming moves and yelling at each other. It was great.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Ganondorf.

Although I didn't play the Wii U/3DS games. Got Ultimate on pre-order though.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I don't usually play Smash unless it's at my sister's house. She is planning to get a Switch just for this so looks like I'll be dusting off my bad Shulk playing. I do need to try Ryu and Ken since their moves are geared towards Street Fighter styles. That and I'm excited with 2 of the Belmonts jumping in.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I don't usually play Smash unless it's at my sister's house. She is planning to get a Switch just for this so looks like I'll be dusting off my bad Shulk playing. I do need to try Ryu and Ken since their moves are geared towards Street Fighter styles. That and I'm excited with 2 of the Belmonts jumping in.

Yeah I bought my switch specifically for Ultimate too.
Ryu and Ken should be cool if you've played street fighter before- from my understanding, you can also use their moves by inputting the old street fighter button combos, and they're stronger if you do.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Got it on preorder!
My mains:
N64: no one, really, I was too young to care
Melee: Falco
Brawl: Falco? But I didn't play it as much
3DS: Samus/Ryu but I'm not good at all competitively so I can't use Ryus original combos.
I'm really looking forward to use Ridley!
Also, I fear a lot characters with swords like Roy, Ike, Metaknight and Cloud.

We should definitely exchange friend codes, although my wifi sucks hard and I've never played smash online.

mongey

Reaction score
I have actually never played a smash or
Melee game in my life. Gonna grab it to try for sure. I’ll probably start with Ryu and ken just cause as a sf player I will at least know something. After that , see what happens.

wankerness

Reaction score
I have actually never played a smash or
Melee game in my life. Gonna grab it to try for sure. I’ll probably start with Ryu and ken just cause as a sf player I will at least know something. After that , see what happens.

If you haven't even seen a video and thus truly have no idea what to expect, I'm looking VERY forward to your first impressions. The idea that any SF skills will be transferable is hilarious. (well, apart from doing downforward for fireballs of course!)

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
If you haven't even seen a video and thus truly have no idea what to expect, I'm looking VERY forward to your first impressions. The idea that any SF skills will be transferable is hilarious. (well, apart from doing downforward for fireballs of course!)

I dunno, I think a lot of the mentality is the same. Spacing will be drastically different though.
I never really got into traditional fighting games aside from my brief stint with Soul Calibur though, so what do I know :lol:

For sure though @mongey it's actually a surprisingly easy game to pick up. Link and Mario are both great characters to learn the basics with.

mongey

Reaction score
I have seen a few high level games from tournaments and stuff over the years. But never tried it

Sure I’ll be lost but the very basicsof fighting games transfer imho. Same as playing guitar means you can pick up an instrument you’ve never played before and still have some idea how to approach playing it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I have seen a few high level games from tournaments and stuff over the years. But never tried it

Sure I’ll be lost but the very basicsof fighting games transfer imho. Same as playing guitar means you can pick up an instrument you’ve never played before and still have some idea how to approach playing it.
smash is a pretty easy game to pick up, especially if you're used to fighting games. the only hard part from previous games was mastering the i frames/dodges and getting good at edge guarding.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
So I've had the absolute pleasure of playing this game early (don't worry, I bought it), and it is fan-fuckin'-tastic. Movement is much better, it feels a lot more 'melee-like'. Characters respond to inputs much better, so tech is much easier. For anyone else out there that loves my girl, Zelda is looking great; this is definitely the most competitive she's ever been. I wouldn't quite say high-tier, but it's definitely nice to no longer be one of the worst characters in the game.

Roy and Young Link feel like S-tier characters, they're phenomenally good. If you played Young Link in melee he is literally the exact same, but better. Cloud took the nerf bat like a champ, but he's still a good character. Same with Bayonetta. Ridley is a LOAD of fun, I want to say he's a high-tier character but that may just be my own bias. Ryu got sped up a lot, I feel like his knockback got improved as well. Ken as an echo feels like he has better air game, but his attacks feel like they don't have the knockback.

Overall it feels like they did a much better job with balance in this iteration of the game; everyone feels competitive on some level so far. The only outliers are Roy and Young Link, and currently only Young Link feels 'broken,' I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-balanced. If you've got any burning questions about the game, feel free to ask; me and my friends have been doing pretty much nothing else with our free time since Saturday.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
A few years ago Game in the UK broke the street date on Pokémon X and Y, so I'm really hoping they do the same thing again tomorrow.