So how 'bout them made-in-China LTD's?

• Thread starter NastyButler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NastyButler

Massive buzzkill
Reaction score
In my ongoing quest to find a dependable left-handed, radically-shaped sixer without having to shell out several thousand dollars for a custom, I think I've finally narrowed my sights on one of the new ESP LTD EX-360's. For $600, it seems like a pretty solid deal. The LTD's I've played in the past have been great, and the spec sheet on this guitar checks out to my liking. Since ESP switched production of the bulk of their non-1000 series guitars to China at the beginning of this year, though, I'm a little skeptical of the build quality.

Has anyone gotten to play these new MIC LTD's? Worth the price tag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bouVIP

Reaction score
I've played an MH-417 which was made in China. I was pretty skeptical about it when I picked it up, but it played really well. I don't know how consistent the Chinese factory is or how the quality control is, but they seem like pretty solid guitars.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
The only anecdotal evidence for China made guitars I can offer were my Douglas WRL-590 and my Epiphone LP Junior TV yellow and they were made very nice. My model of LPJ became such a notorious sleeper I sold it for twice what I bought it for. China can make good stuff but always try to see for yourself in person.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Ive got a chinese Ibanez SA series that plays great. The inlays are a little rough, but other than that i'm very pleased with it. Can't vouch for recent LTDs but i've had good luck with older ones.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
My friend has one of the EX-307's and they're made in china. It's pretty nice, and it's only flaws were minor and cosmetic. The neck side dots weren't 100% straight, and the corners of the fretboard down by the neck pup were a little chewed up from what I assume was a hasty/one cheeked fret end rounding.

Overall it's a really nice guitar. Plays, sounds, and looks damn nice. It's currently her main 7 string guitar. If you can play one before getting it, I highly recommend it. With this sort of thing, quality control is always the deal breaker. With all these budget/Chinese guitars, you can most definitely get something that surpasses even a multi thousand dollar guitar, but the next ten of the same model you play will all be vastly different. (and it's unlikely you'll get something that immaculate) Chances are that you'll end up getting a decent enough guitar regardless, but if you can't play it beforehand (ie: you have to order online) then just make sure there's a decent return policy so you can trade it out for a new one if it's blown out.

Basically, if the specs are something you like, then quality control is the only hurtle. So long as you don't expect the most amazing guitar ever built, you're more than likely to get a good guitar the first or second time. (provided shipping doesn't .... it up.)

BladeDTMGuitarist

Reaction score
Always try before you buy but I have a LTD V-400 made in China and it's a great guitar for the price, It can definitely take whatever you throw at it.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
I believe my H-308 was made in China and I've loved it since day one. As stated before the only problems with mine were minor and cosmetic. I love the way it plays. I just wish it had a longer scale length but that's my fault and not the factory's :lol:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
From what I've seen the QC from China is a little iffy, but for the most part the quality issues I've seen are largely cosmetic. I've seen some really good ones, but on the whole with LTDs I'd say quality goes in this order.
Korea > Indonesia > China

NastyButler

Massive buzzkill
Reaction score
Always try before you buy but I have a LTD V-400 made in China and it's a great guitar for the price, It can definitely take whatever you throw at it.

Kind of an oddly specific question, but what's the finish quality like? All of the MIC guitars I've played have either had thin and brittle finishes that chipped easily, or this super-thick coating of paint.

NastyButler

Massive buzzkill
Reaction score
So I just checked Musician's Friend and noticed that they had a Schecter Gary Holt V on sale, also for $600. I told myself that I was done buying Schecters, but... DAMN, that price.

I'm so conflicted now... :wallbash:

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Based on my experience and from what I've read, the factory of origin is more important than the country of origin. Of course, this varies from company to company.

China made stuff these days > Older China made stuff that gave China made stuff a bad reputation

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
the LTD EC-256's I have played were top notch for the $$ and are made in China

Zado

Reaction score
So I just checked Musician's Friend and noticed that they had a Schecter Gary Holt V on sale, also for $600. I told myself that I was done buying Schecters, but... DAMN, that price.

I'm so conflicted now... :wallbash:
Can't beat Red Emgs.Those just sound better than anything else.

Because they are red,yeah.

NastyButler

Massive buzzkill
Reaction score
Right, well, I think I'm buying that V now. I have once again rendered my own thread entirely beside the point. :hbang:

davedeath

Reaction score
I've played a few and really enjoyed them, especially compared to other MIC brands. With that being said, I still can't wrap my head around having a MIC as my #1. Sucks I know its all in my head.

wiretap

Reaction score
I have a Phoenix 401, which is Indonesian. Got it on a whim as I have two Standard Series Phoenix's and love them and loved the color of this one (Mahogany Brown but mine is almost a wine red). It actually plays awesome and sounds fantastic. A little buzzy, but nothing major. It is currently my main B tuning guitar on tours. I have no other experience with any Chinese LTD's, but this one is a winner.

Emil357

Reaction score
I have a LTD KH-202 made in China. It plays really really well - lightyears beyond other guitars in its class :)